Maree-Oranmore and Colga set for Junior Cup semi-final


From this week's Galway City Tribune

From this week's Galway City Tribune

Maree-Oranmore and Colga set for Junior Cup semi-final Maree-Oranmore and Colga set for Junior Cup semi-final

Soccer Wrap with Mike Rafferty

For the second week in succession Salthill Devon came from behind to defeat Mervue United, but while the first time was in a league contest, this time around it was a Connacht Junior Cup quarter-final and it certainly left a sour taste in the mouth of the visitors (see p72)

Maree-Oranmore also had to go down the penalty shoot-out route before seeing off Ballyheane as two smashing saves in the shoot-out by goalkeeper Galius Babonas helped them to a 3-2 win oafter the sides had finished level at 1-1 following extra time in Sunday’s Connacht Junior Cup quarter-final.

It was the home side who enjoyed a merited interval advantage with a Ben Edeh finish when he was first to a rebound after his initial header was saved by Babonas. The visitors threatened on a few occasions with Liam McDonagh twice denied by the saves of John Vahey.

Eventually, he got his reward with a goal three minutes after the restart and was the perfect pick-me-up for Maree-Oranmore as they went on to dominate the second half in poor conditions.

Ben Costello went closest to a late winner for the visitors and matters did not get any better for either side in extra time as matters finished level at 1-1. In the shoot-out Kasper Zatonski, Luke Smyth, and Colm Whelan all found the net for the visitors.

Neighbours Colga did not get the best of starts away against Moore United as two Josh Lennon goals gave them the perfect start, before the Galway side recovered to level matters at the break through Joe Gaughan and Calum Browne. However, a Tom Daly hat trick in the second half allowed them to pull away and record a 5-3 victory, as Graham Petit pulled back a late consolation goal for the Roscommon League side.

Interestingly, it is the first time both clubs have reached the last four, and one of them will be in the final as the neighbours were drawn against one another in Monday’s semi-final draw.

The other last four contest saw Castlebar Celtic given a home game against Salthill Devon after they defeated the holders Athenry in a Saturday night contest. An opening half red card issued to Stephen Relihan did little to help the Athenry cause as they lost 2-1 away against Castlebar Celtic.

A Luke Kelly goal gave the home side an interval advantage, before an own goal saw Athenry level matters. However, despite a huge effort, the visitors were not able to breach the home side again and an additional time winner by Dylan Edwards ended any hope of them retaining their title.

Pictured: Mervue United’s Tom O’Sullivan and Sean Nnadi in action against Matt Mannion of Moyne Villa in the U-16 Connacht Cup game between the sides at Fahy’s Field. Photo: Joe O’Shaughnessy.

More like this:

Sign Up To get Weekly Sports UPDATES

Go Up