Dream ends at the final hurdle for gallant Coláiste Éinde side


From this week's Galway City Tribune

From this week's Galway City Tribune

Dream ends at the final hurdle for gallant Coláiste Éinde side Dream ends at the final hurdle for gallant Coláiste Éinde side

St Mary’s Newport 6-17

Coláiste Éinde 1-7


Coláiste Éinde’s memorable run didn’t end with the desired sparkle last Saturday as Tipperary’s St Mary’s Newport blitzed them in the All-Ireland Post Primary Schools Senior D Hurling Final.

It was a wet afternoon that just didn’t materialise as planned against a Munster side sprinkled with Limerick underage talent as Shane Flanagan’s four-goal haul led the assault from David Minogue’s team.

Newport came in as favourites following an impressive dismantling of Offaly’s Killina in the semi-final.  Coláiste Éinde also provided firepower from their six-goal display against Tyrone’s Dean Maguirc, but found themselves on the back foot early.

Cillian Collins landed a quick St Mary’s score in the opening minute before Cian Cloherty replied almost immediately, profiting from a poor free-out by Newport stopper Evan Duffy.

The game’s turning point was probably in the second minute. Bryan Walsh started at centre-forward and the Ireland underage rugby international ploughed through the Tipperary defence before offloading to Éanna Coffey, but his shot was excellently saved by Duffy.

Duffy was superb for Newport despite his earlier mistake and delivered no fewer than five top drawer saves, including a stunning double block on 42 minutes. But his first was the catalyst for the boys in blue seizing control.

St Mary’s joint captains Colm Kennedy and Flanagan were their standout performers but they had plenty taking up the load in spells, and the team leaders set up Brian Tobin to make it 0-2 to 0-1 on four minutes.

Newport were spreading the play quickly, led by Kennedy, who dropped deep at centre-back. He found Darren Collopy 60 seconds later, who picked out Flanagan for the first goal.

And four minutes later, St Mary’s were at it again. Kennedy included Jamie Long during this passage who found Flanagan on the right. He timed his pass to Collopy, perfectly resulting in the second goal.  When Collins converted this second point on 10 minutes, St Mary’s Newport were 2-3 to 0-1 clear.

Pictured: Darragh Finnerty and Cian Corcoran of Coláiste Éinde compete for possession with James Anderson and Cathal Hannon of St Mary’s.

More like this:

Sign Up To get Weekly Sports UPDATES

Go Up