United make light work of non-league Bangor men

Galway United 4

Bangor Celtic 1

Mike Rafferty  at Eamonn Deacy Park

ONCE the initial shock of going behind after just two minutes worked its way out of their system, Galway United put the foot down and won this FAI Cup Second Round tie with ease at Eamonn Deacy Park on Saturday evening.

Showing five changes in personel from the side that saw off Athlone Town in league action the previous week, the home side dictated matters for the duration and only a combination of good goalkeeping by Jordan Walker and poor finishing by the hosts prevented a more substantial victory.

To the credit of the Leinster Senior League visitors, they competed honestly and while Bangor got few opportunities to increase their goal tally, they defended solidly and used the ball well when in possession. Now United appear to hit a slumber button in the early exchanges of recent games and Saturday’s concession added to the second minute goal conceded against Cobh, while the early form against Kerry and Athlone was not too impressive either.

However, just like on those occasions, John Caulfield’s charges recovered and this time around got a few goals on their way to an emphatic win. New signings Aodh Dervin and Wassim Aouachria both got their first starts against Bangor Celtic, while Evan O’Connor, Robert Slevin and Francely Lomboto also made the starting eleven. Conor O’Keeffe, Vincent Borden, Conor McCormack, Ed McCarthy and Maurice Nugent dropped out and on an occasion when all went well for the home side, they were not required from off the bench.

The visitors started off in impressive fashion and some neat passing got them into a few attacking positions. Then on two minutes, Bangor took a shock lead. Some neat exchanges on the right wing set up Adam Maher and his cross did not look like it was posing a threat to Brendan Clarke’s goal as the custodian never moved – obviously expecting it to drift wide of the far post. However, it’s final resting place was the far top corner of the net as Bangor went 1-0 up, as one could almost hear the sharp intake of breath amongst the attendance.

There was no panic in the United response. Very quickly, they assumed total authority as Clarke seldom saw any action thereafter, while Walker’s goal was the centre of attention at the other end of the park. Killian Brouder threatened with a header following a David Hurley corner, but his effort flew over.

Pictured: Galway United’s Evan O’Connor getting the better of Bangor Celtic’s Ryan Carberry during Saturday’s FAI Cup tie at Eamonn Deacy Park. Photo: Joe O’Shaughnessy.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune:

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app

The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

More like this:

Sign Up To get Weekly Sports UPDATES

Go Up