Finnerty leads Salthill’s surge in pulling clear from Killannin


From this week's Galway City Tribune

From this week's Galway City Tribune

Finnerty leads Salthill’s surge in pulling clear from Killannin Finnerty leads Salthill’s surge in pulling clear from Killannin

Salthill-Knocknacarra 4-9

Killannin 1-10

Pádraic Ó Ciardha at Pearse Stadium

KILLANNIN had no answer to a clinical second half display from Salthill-Knocknacarra as John O’Mahony’s side made it two wins on the trot in Group 2 of the Galway Senior Football Championship.

The sides were level at half-time, 2-3 to 1-6, and while Killannin had the slight advantage after the break of the Baltic breeze blowing across Pearse Stadium on Sunday afternoon, they had little to protect them from the In-form pairing of Rob Finnerty and Cathal Sweeney in the second half.

Whatever provision of the riot act O’Mahony read to his players at half-time, it was a lengthy one as Salthill-Knocknacarra remained in the dressing rooms for an age before finally emerging. The words had the desired effect, however, as the locals opened up a six point lead within eight minutes of the restart.

John Maher had been outstanding for his side in the first period but it was his two Galway teammates who ran the show in the second. Finnerty, who looked like he was having an off-day in the opening 30 minutes, ended up with 2-4 while Sweeney, who was on the periphery in the first half, was full of bright running and slick passing after the break.

Daniel O’Flaherty also had another solid outing but it wasn’t just the intercounty contingent who were to the fore for Salthill-Knocknacarra. Eoghan Deely was excellent from first whistle to last, Matthew Thompson made an impact after his introduction while the likes of Dónal Hunt, David Connaughton, Charlie Power and Evan Murphy all made valuable contributions.

Things started brightly for Salthill-Knocknacarra when Power found the net for the second game running after just two minutes. Evan Nolan had done well to win the initial turnover to begin the attack before John Maher bore down on goal and unselfishly passed the ball across goal for Power to finish.

Pictured: Killannin’s Cian Folan secures possession against Eoin McFadden of Salthill/Knocknacarra during Saturday’s Senior Football Championship Group 2 encounter at Pearse Stadium.  Photo: Joe O’Shaugnhnessy.

More like this:

Sign Up To get Weekly Sports UPDATES

Go Up