‘King of Knocknacarra’ is planning longer reign in Galway
Published:
-
-
Author: Dara Bradley
~ 2 minutes read
From this week's Galway City Tribune
Bradley Bytes – a sort of political column with Dara Bradley
The King of Knocknacarra is not planning to relinquish his crown anytime soon.
Former Progressive Democrat – now Independent councillor – Donal Lyons has confirmed to Bradley Bytes that he will contest the next Local Election in 2024.
It is the first public acknowledgement that the City West representative is eager to serve another five-year term.
Dubbed the King of Knocknacarra, Lyons topped the poll in 2019, exceeding the quota on the first count and with a massive surplus to spare.
That followed on from a stunning performance in 2014, when he again topped the poll and gobbled up more than one in every five votes cast in that electoral area.
He was elected on the first count in 2009, too, and also topped the poll in 2004.
That’s four poll-topping performances in four elections. And now he’s going for a fifth.
In response to last week’s column in which it was noted that he had not yet declared his intentions to put his name on the ballot paper again in 2024, Cllr Lyons said: “Just to put you out of your misery regarding whether or not I will be standing in the next Local Elections, just to clarify: I will be standing.”
Lyons was co-opted in 1996 onto Galway Corporation, as it was known then, and jointly topped the poll along with Fianna Fáil’s Margaret Cox in the South Ward in the following Local Election in 1999, when they both garnered 1,007 votes each.
Though he retired from An Post last year, Lyons has this week put to bed rumours that he is stepping back from politics and confirmed he is planning another five-year term at City Hall.
That should keep Salthill cycling campaigners and political rivals of the massive vote-getter awake at night.
This is a shortened preview version of this column. For more Bradley Bytes, see the January 6 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.
More like this:
Salthill poet sets sail for Gaza on humanitarian mission
This article first appeared on Galway Bay FMA renowned Salthill poet is setting sail for Gaza thi...
Galway labelled home care blackspot with over 360 people on waiting lists
This article first appeared on Galway Bay FMGalway has been labelled a home care blackspot, as 36...
Change of ownership for The King's Head pub in Galway City
This article first appeared on Galway Bay FMA change of ownership has been announced for The King...
Man charged with drugs seizure in Galway and Westmeath
This article first appeared on Galway Bay FMA man's been charged in connection with a 165 thousan...
People Before Profit's Paul Murphy says Catherine Connolly is better off without Alan Kelly's support for the presidency
This article first appeared on Galway Bay FMPaul Murphy says Galway West TD Catherine Connolly is...
New Family Resource Centre announced for Tuam
This article first appeared on Galway Bay FMA new Family Resource Centre has been announced for T...
Piece of adult's tooth found in first six weeks of excavation in Tuam
This article first appeared on Galway Bay FMA piece of an adult's tooth is among items found in t...
Chief Fire Officer says speedy evacuation of Eye Cinema prevented widescale injuries
This article first appeared on Galway Bay FMGalway Chief Fire Officer Gerry O'Malley says says th...
Galway's Town Hall Theatre to receive funding for upgrade and development
This article first appeared on Galway Bay FMThe Town Hall Theatre in Galway is to receive funding...