Investigations continue into HSE cyber-attack
Published:
-
-
Author: Dara Bradley
~ 2 minutes read
From this week's Galway City Tribune
The Garda investigation into the cyber-attack that paralysed the HSE during the Covid-19 Pandemic and illegally accessed details of over 100,000 patients and staff is ongoing.
Breda Crehan Roche, Chief Officer, Community Healthcare West, said because the criminal investigation was ongoing it limited the amount of information the HSE can share in the public domain about the data that was illegally hacked in the 2021 cyber-attack.
In response to Galway County Councillor Evelyn Parsons (Ind), Ms Crehan Roche confirmed that 100,000 people all over the country have been contacted by letter by the HSE to inform them their information was illegally accessed and copied during the cyber-attack.
She said the HSE has reviewed thousands of documents that were illegally accessed and copied during the cyber-attack, and notified people on how this might impact them. The exact number of people impacted in the West was not known.
Ms Crehan Roche said the aim of the cyber-attack was, “to disrupt our health services and computer systems by encrypting them, to illegally access and copy data, and demand a ransom”.
She said the cyber-attack stopped once the HSE became aware of it, and it responded with other State agencies.
She insisted that “no ransom was paid by the HSE or the State”.
Ms Crehan-Roche said this was not unique to the HSE, and said it had happened in other organisations including universities. Apart from a “small amount of data” referred to in an article in the Financial Times in May 2021, specialist security partners of the HSE have been monitoring the internet and dark web since the cyber-attack and they have seen “no evidence” that the illegally accessed and copied data has been published online or used for any criminal purposes.
“Our cyber security experts are continuing to monitor the internet and the dark web for illegally accessed information and the HSE will act immediately if we see any evidence of this,” said Ms Crehan Roche.
She would not be drawn on media reports highlighted by Councillor Parsons that the cost of the cyber-attack to the HSE could be between €50m and €101m initially, with a further €600m investment required after that.
“We sincerely regret the impact the cyber-attack has had on our health service, our patients and our teams nationwide,” added Ms Crehan Roche.
More like this:
Council lays the foundations for building boom
In a major boost for housing stock, changes approved to the Galway’s Development Plan this week w...
Darragh takes it handy but comes back with a bang!
Groove Tube with Cian O’Connell With the release of 2021’s Tilly and the Postmadster, Tuam sin...
Footballers defy the odds again with a storming comeback against Kerry
Inside Track with John McIntyre IT’S fair to say every county has been going at it hammer and ...
Soil testing and correct pH levels are the basic starting points for soil efficiency
FERTILISER prices are likely to increase by approximately 10% in Ireland this spring due to a con...
VW group celebrates record sales figures for last year ahead of an exciting 2026
There is a great sense of achievement emanating from the Volkswagen Group headquarters in Ireland...
Connacht farmers to join in on protest
HUNDREDS of farmers are expected to converge on Claremorris this evening [Thursday] for a public ...
Community concerns over Montessori’s future
The Board of Management of Scoil Mhuire in Clarinbridge will attend a meeting in the village next...
Galway League end 55-year Traynor Cup famine in style
Galway League 5 Limerick League 0 By Mike Rafferty at Eamonn Deacy Park FOR 55 years, history ...
Galway aiming for derby league win as midfielder Conroy returns to the fold
WHEN the Galway football management ran the rule over their opening four fixtures in Division 1 o...
Sign Up To get Weekly Sports UPDATES