A WOMAN is to sue University Hospital, Galway alleging it failed to recognise she had sepsis after giving birth, causing her permananet injuries.
The case is set for hearing at the High Court from June 11th according to “The Sunday Times”.
The report claims the court could examine whether the hospital took steps to improve staff’s ability to recognise maternal sepsis, a life-threatening bacterial infection, between late 2009 and October 2012 when Savita Halappanaver died there.
In this case the woman gave birth in UHG in late 2009 and was later discharged.
She returned feeling unwell but some medical staff believed she might be suffering from post-natal depression.
According to the report four days after giving birth the woman was treated with antibiotics but by then was fast approaching multi-organ failure.
Even though her life was saved, the infection affected some of her digits and muscle mass on her feet and even after over 30 corrective procedures her mobility is still restricted.
The report also states that the HSE West has not commented on whether maternity medical staff had received any extra training to help them recognise the early onset of maternal sepsis.
1,345 cases of Covid-19 confirmed nationally
Galway Bay FM Newsroom – The Department of Health has confirmed 1,345 new cases of Covid-19 here.
It’s a reduction of 41 on yesterday’s figures which were the highest in six months.
There are currently 105 people in hospital with the virus, a reduction of one person.
Of those, 21 are in intensive care units, also a decrease of one person compared to yesterday.
The five-day moving average in Ireland has risen to 1,282, compared to 983 this day last week.
The 14-day incidence rate per 100,000 of the population now stands at 310, while the seven-day moving average is 1,237.
The HSE continue to be affected by the recent cyber attack and the daily case figure may change due to future data review, validation and update.
LISTEN: Major road enhancement scheme near Abbeyknockmoy expected to begin by late 2023
A major road enhancement scheme near Abbeyknockmoy is expected to begin by late 2023.
Galway County Council has confirmed that significant progress is being made on the N63 Liss to Abbey road realignment scheme.
The proposed scheme involves widening and realigning the 1.2km Type 2 single carriageway with a half a metre hard strip on either side and installing a new bridge over the River Abbert.
The County Council says it expects to make an application to An Bord Pleanála for scheme approval by the third quarter of this year.
It’s anticipated that an oral hearing will take place by the start of next year and if approved, it’s hoped that works with begin by the start of 2024.
Local Councillor Pete Roche says it’s great to see this level of progress for the long awaited €18 million project:
Water restored to Carna and Roundstone following power outage
Galway Bay FM Newsroom – Irish Water and Galway County Council have confirmed that water supply has been restored to impacted customers in Carna and Roundstone and the surrounding areas following a power outage at the Cill Chiaran Water Treatment Plant.
Dedicated water service crews were mobilised and repairs were undertaken yesterday evening and this morning and it is recommended that customers allow 2 to 3 hours after the estimated restoration time for the water supply to fully return.
In a statement, Irish Water and Galway County Council said that they understood the inconvenience caused when disruptions occur and they thanked customers for their patience while supply was restored to impacted customers.
The Irish Water Customer Care helpline is open 24/7 on 1800 278 278 and customers can also contact them on Twitter @IWCare with any queries. For updates please see the Water Supply Updates section of their website.