Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

‘Why did you let our suicidal son out?’

Published

on

Wolfe Tone Bridge

THE mother of a suicidal young man who was released from the Adult Acute Mental Health Unit at University Hospital Galway (UHG) – minutes before being rescued from the River Corrib – has made a heartfelt appeal for a review of the service being provided.

She told the Connacht Tribune that only for the bravery of another young man who had entered the Corrib to perform the rescue – and the actions of the emergency services – her son would have been dead.

The patient, who is in his mid-20s, had been treated at the Adult Acute Mental Health Unit (AAMHU) in the previous days, but according to his mother, was ‘not in a good place’ mentally when he was released onto the street.

The trauma began for the family on the Friday evening of July 30 last at around 3.50pm when the mother of the patient got a phone call to say that her son was being discharged from the unit 10 minutes later.

She happened to be near the hospital at the time and made her way over immediately.

“What we found out later is that a taxi had been called to bring him home, but the taxi driver had told them [hospital staff] that it wasn’t safe to carry him.

“I saw my son running away from the door of the unit and I called out, but I could do nothing more. I knew that he was gone and could do nothing else but ring the guards – an hour later he was taken from the water and was back in the Accident and Emergency unit of the hospital.

“We were within minutes of losing him. I knew that day it wasn’t safe to discharge him from the unit; my son also knew that; but yet the people in charge there, saw fit to let him out with just a taxi called,” the woman told the Connacht Tribune.

The man’s rescue on that Friday afternoon by Mullingar native and graduate of NUI Galway, Criodán Ó Murchú, which was reported in our sister newspaper, the Galway City Tribune, of August 6, shows how close the victim was to not making it.

On that evening, Criodán Ó Murchú, had been walking close to the Salmon Weir Bridge in the city when he saw a young man in the water who seemed to be in some distress with a T-shirt around his neck and a cut on the right side of his head.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

 

Connacht Tribune

Boil water notice issued for Barna area

Published

on

A boil water notice has been issued for the Barna area for health protection purposes

The areas affected are Barna Village, Truskey West and Truskey East, Barr Aille, Fermoyle, Ballard and along the Connemara Coast Road as far as Furbo, and on the Barna/Galway Road as far as Silverstrand.

The notice has been put in place due to issues with disinfection of the water at Tonabruckey Reservoir.

The notice affects approximately 2,300 people supplied by the Barna section of the Galway City West Public Water Supply area.

Customers in the area served by Tonabrucky Reservoir will notice increased levels of chlorine in their water supply in the coming days as we work to resolve the issue.

Vulnerable customers who have registered with Irish Water will receive direct communication on this Boil Water Notice.

Irish water, the City Council and the HSE will monitor the supply and will lift the notice when it is safe to do so.

In line with HSE Covid-19 advice and the requirement for frequent hand washing, Irish Water advises that the water remains suitable for this purpose and boiling the water is not required.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Violent incident in Tuam leaves seven hospitalised

Published

on

Gardaí are investigating after an incident in Tuam yesterday left seven people injured.

A violent altercation broke out between a large group at the cemetery in Tuam at about 4pm yesterday.

Around 30 Gardaí responded to the incident at the cemetery on the Athenry Road in Tuam, which broke out following two funerals in the area.

Gardaí supported by members from the wider North Western Region and the Regional Armed Support Unit had to physically intervene between parties and disperse those present.

Five males and two females were injured during the course of the incident and were taken to University Hospital Galway with non-life threatening injuries.

A 16-year-old boy was arrested at the scene, as he tried to flee in possession of a knife.

He was taken to Tuam Garda Station and has since been released. A file is being prepared for the Juvenile Liaison Officer.

Gardaí are appealing for any witnesses to this incident or for anyone with any information to contact Tuam Garda Station .

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Anger over ANC ‘snip’

Published

on

Agriculture Minister, Charlie McConalogue

ANGRY farmers hit out during last week’s Galway IFA at the Dept. of Agriculture over what they described as their ‘heavy handed tactics’ in docking BEAM penalties from ANC payments made last week.

Although Agriculture Minister, Charlie McConalogue, has apologised for the actions taken by his Department officials, delegates who attended last Thursday’s night county IFA meeting in the Claregalway Hotel, hit out at what happened.

In some cases, according to Galway IFA Chairperson, Anne Mitchell, farmers who had already paid back the BEAM penalty also had the money deducted from their ANC (Areas of Natural Constraint) payments made last week.

Many farmers received ‘a shock in the post’ when their ANC payments were hit with the deductions of penalties from the BEAM scheme – earlier they had been warned of interest penalties if any balances weren’t repaid within 30 days.

At the core of the problem was the inclusion of a 5% stock numbers reduction in the BEAM scheme (Beef Exceptional Aid Measure) aimed at helping to compensate farmers for a drop-off in beef prices between September, 2018 and May, 2019.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending