Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Waterworks could sink Ballinasloe businesses

Enda Cunningham

Published

on

Ballinasloe is set to be paralysed for up to two years by a ‘Big Dig’ to upgrade the water mains and treatment plant, as well as street enhancement works in the town centre.

The planned works have been split between two contracts – the first of which is set to get underway soon and taking up to 18 months.

Local independent TD Denis Naughten told the Connacht Tribune the works will cause major disruption in the town, and has asked Irish Water if the contract can be expedited.

The first contract involves water mains rehabilitation works from Brackernagh (west of Garbally Oaks), past Portiuncula and the Fair Green, along Dunlo Hill and Harbour Hill and also travelling up to St Michael’s Square.

The second contract will be awarded at the end of the year and is also likely to take 18 months to complete. It involves street enhancement work in the town centre (including Dunlo Street, Society Street and Main Street) as well as further water mains upgrading.

Deputy Naughten met with Irish Water last week, appealing for the utility to expedite the work.

“If it were to take 18 months to complete these [first contract] works, it would delay plans to resurface the streets as well as limiting access to shops in the town itself. This cannot be allowed to happen.

“With the second contract, it will be a further 18 months – that means we’re looking at up to two years in total.

“It is crucial that these works are coordinated and fast-tracked as much as possible, even if it means paying a little extra to have it completed to a tighter timescale.

“This will cause major disruption to the town and Ballinasloe just cannot afford it.

“The first project – which has been awarded to Ward and Burke Construction – will upgrade the water network in Ballinasloe to be more resistant to frost, leakage and service interruption.

“The works will involve the upgrading of 2.5km of surface water sewers and 840 metres of street enhancement works at Brackernagh,” said Deputy Naughten.

He said that Irish Water has made provision for work to be halted during the October Fair.

“Work will stop for twelve days around the Fair, but 18 months is a very long time to have roads dug up, and we’ve seen the impact ‘Big Digs’ have had on retail in other towns.

“Irish Water must now put a strategy in place that firstly limits the impact on access to the town itself during the contract period and secondly ensures that this project is completed as soon as possible,” said Deputy Naughten.

CITY TRIBUNE

Galway City publican in heroic River Corrib rescue

Francis Farragher

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A city publican who last week helped save the life of a woman who had entered the waters of the Corrib off Wolfe Tone Bridge has made an appeal for young people to ‘look out for each other’.

Fergus McGinn, proprietor of McGinn’s Hop House in Woodquay, had been walking close to Jury’s Inn when he saw the young woman enter the river.

He then rushed to the riverbank on the Long Walk side of the bridge, jumped into the water, spoke to the woman and stayed with her until the emergency services arrived.

The incident occurred at about 3.45pm on Friday last, and a short time later the emergency services were on the scene to safely rescue the woman.

“She was lucky in that the river level was very low and she didn’t injure herself on the rocks and stones just under the water.”

He also appealed to the public to support in whatever they could the work being done by groups like the Claddagh Watch volunteers.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Pubs face court – for serving booze on their doorsteps!

Dara Bradley

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Gardaí have warned city publicans that alcohol cannot be served outside their own premises – even in newly-created on-street spaces designated by Galway City Council as suitable for outdoor dining.

Councillor Mike Crowe (FF) said three Gardaí visited a number of city centre pubs on Thursday afternoon informing them that drinking outdoors was not allowed under licensing laws.

“They warned publicans and restaurants that the area outside their premises is not covered by the licence, and therefore under national legislation, they are breaking the law, because they are not entitled to sell alcohol in non-licensed areas.

“The operators were told that this was an official warning, and they will be back again in a few days and if it persisted, they [Gardaí] would have no option but to issue a charge and forward files to the Director of Public Prosecution. You could not make this up.

“All of the big operators were visited, and received an official warning, and they will be charged if they persist. According to the guards, they’re getting instructions from [Garda headquarters in] Phoenix Park,” he said.

The matter will be raised at a meeting of the Galway City Joint Policing Committee on Monday.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Call for 50% affordable homes in new Galway City Council estates

Stephen Corrigan

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – The next Galway City Development Plan should include a greater provision for affordable housing than that recommended by Government, a meeting of the City Council has heard.

Cllr Declan McDonnell (Ind) told the meeting that while it was the Government’s intention to introduce a stipulation that new estates should have 10% affordable housing, Galway should go further – building anything up to 50% affordable in developments that are led by the local authority.

The Affordable Housing Bill, which is currently working its way through the Oireachtas, proposes that all developments should have 10% affordable and 10% social housing as a condition of their approval.

Affordable housing schemes help lower-income households buy their own houses or apartments in new developments at significantly less than their open market value, while social housing is provided by local authorities and housing agencies to those who cannot afford their own accommodation.

The Council meeting, part of the pre-draft stage of forming the Development Plan to run from 2023 to 2029, was to examine the overarching strategies that will inform the draft plan to come before councillors by the end of the year and Cllr McDonnell said a more ambitious target for affordable housing was absolutely necessary.

“It must be included that at least 50% of housing must be affordable [in social housing developments],” he said.

This sentiment was echoed by Cllr Eddie Hoare (FG) who questioned if the City Council was ‘tied down’ by national guidelines, or if it could increase the minimum percentage of affordable housing required locally.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending