THE Connemara Pony Festival that runs this year in Clifden from Sunday, August 11 to 18, will be a far greener affair with a number of initiatives being put in place to make the whole event far more environmentally friendly.
Last month, Cllr. Liam Carroll, Mayor of Co. Galway, recently launched the greening plan for the festival with the Festival Committee working in partnership with Galway County Council, FORUM Connemara, Barna Waste Ltd. and the various food suppliers – together they will take steps to improve the festival’s environmental performance and reduce the impact on the environment in the showgrounds.
They plan to increase the quantities of waste diverted from landfill through improved composting and recycling practices. This will be achieved through managed waste segregation on site. All food waste, compostable plates, bowls, serviettes, knives and forks will be segregated in organic waste bins for composting and all plastics, cardboard and aluminium will be segregated in bins for recycling.
“Greening festivals and events like the Connemara Pony Festival is an exceptionally positive initiative and will reap significant rewards for the festival in addition to encouraging the delivery of resource efficiency and waste prevention initiatives at a local level.
“Galway County Council is delighted to assist the committee who have risen to the challenge of addressing waste and litter issues as part of this international event,” said Mayor Carroll.
Henry O’Toole, Chairperson of the Connemara Pony Festival committee said that ‘going green’ was a phenomenon sweeping across a host of events nationally. “With the Connemara Pony Show celebrating its 90th anniversary this year we are delighted to be associated with such a positive initiative,” said Mr. O’Toole.
The Connemara Pony Festival will feature the 90th Connemara Pony Show on Thursday and Friday, August 15/16th at the Showgrounds, Clifden. For more information on the festival please visit www.cpbs.ie or Connemara Pony Breeders’ Society on Facebook. Additional information on ‘Greening Galway Festivals’ is available from Sinéad Ní Mhainnín, Galway County Council 091-476488 or email@example.com.
July ticked all the right boxes for farmers
JULY turned out to be a pretty much ideal month for farming with up to 25 dry days in places while the bulk of the rainfall was ‘delivered’ in two downpours over one weekend.
Abbeyknockmoy weather recorder, Brendan Geraghty, said that his rainfall total for the month of 2.95 inches (75mms.) was below the average for July – but this told only half the story.
Significant rainfall occurred only on six days during our seventh month with two big downpours on the evening of Friday the 19th – and through the day on the following Sunday, the 21st.
“I suppose overall July would have to be regarded as an excellent month as indeed was the Summer overall.
“We tended to get the rainfall in concentrated bursts but we had a lot of fine and pleasant days during the month that enabled farmers to get a lot of work done,” said Brendan Geraghty.
For full story see this week’s Connacht Tribune.
Drought conditions still prevail but a change is on the way
DESPITE the western region faring better than many other parts of the country in terms of July rainfall, major concerns have been expressed in Galway over the winter feed situation.
The most significant break in the drought pattern came on the weekend of July 15 last with over 20mms. of rainfall arriving in some parts of the county including the Met Éireann station in Athenry.
Ardrahan dairy farmer, Pat Murphy, said that while the rains of that weekend had been a help, many farmers across the county were still facing into a very serious feed and fodder situation.
“The rain we got – particularly what fell on Sunday week last [July 15] – was welcome and it did green up the place a bit, but the overall grass situation remains critical.
“Like a lot of other farmers I know, I am paying big money every week buying in extra ration to try and ‘stretch out’ the grass but there just seems to be no end in sight to the drought – and the Summer is passing.
“The date for a second cut of silage is now going back well into September. Farmers would need to have their second cut taken in the first week or so of September to allow them spread fertiliser for late grazing before the deadline [Sept. 15] for spreading nitrogen arrives,” said Pat Murphy.
For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.
Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.
Bord Pleanála rules that gravel site is for the birds
PLANNING permission has been refused for the extraction of stone and gravel from a parcel of land in the Athenry area for use as fill material for the Gort to Tuam motorway which is currently under construction.
It had been proposed to extract materials from an overgrown three acre site that would be returned to agricultural grassland upon the completion of the works – however, this has been stopped in its tracks because a bat survey was not carried out.
The developer John Sisk had applied for planning permission to extract stone and gravel from the agricultural land at Greethill, Athenry – the lands are located around three miles from the town. The possible presence of bats was one of the reasons why planning was refused.
Planning permission was refused by Galway County Council and then became the subject of an appeal to An Bord Pleanala who affirmed the decision of county planners on the basis that it would have an adverse impact on a neighbouring Special Area of Conservation.
The applicant had intended using the agricultural land as ‘a borrow pit’ for the extraction of stone and gravel which would be used as fill for the Gort to Tuam motorway.
It was the intention to extract materials to a depth of four and a half yards. The land would be remediated and returned to agricultural grassland upon completion of the works. But this was not allowed to proceed.
According to the planning file, the site in question is not directly accessible from the public road. It is currently overgrown with dense patches of hedgerow, some trees and a dirt track. There are also some sections of stone wall but it is not being used for agricultural purposes.
It is stated that the extraction site is within 300 metres of a flood risk area as well as being in the vicinity of the Slieve Aughty Mountains Special Protection Area – it is also close to a Special Area of Conservation.
The site adjoins woodland where bats may be present. An Bord Pleanala took issue with the fact that a bat survey after dusk was not carried out by the applicants.
The Planning Appeals Board also considered that this three acres of land was a valuable area for roosting and nesting and also had an issue with the fact that a dedicated bird survey was not carried out.
There were no objections to the planning application but An Bord Pleanala felt that as the proposed development involved extraction, disturbance to birds and mammals was possible.
“Given the size, scale and nature of the proposed development, potential impact on groundwater and flood risk have not been satisfactorily addressed,” it was stated in the ruling.
Agents acting on behalf of John Sisk argued that there were no bird habitats found on the site and that there was no threat to any species as a result of the works that would be carried out. However, planning was refused.