Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Ward steeled by past losses ahead of date with destiny

Published

on

Looking ahead to Saturday's All-Ireland Club ladies football senior final are, from left: Deirdre Bracken (management), Annette Clarke, Louise Ward (captain) and Aisling Costello.

WINNERS never forget the losses, the ones that got away. Kilkerrin/Clonberne captain Louise Ward certainly doesn’t, still rankled by the ghost of a defeat of eight years ago that by now should have been laid to rest.

In 2012, Kilkerrin/Clonberne were within moments — several times —of securing a place in the All-Ireland intermediate club final, only to draw with Parnell’s of London after two periods of extra-time first day out, before losing out in the replay on a 3-11 to 2-8 scoreline.

While Ward, who along with her sister Nicola collected her first ever All-Star award last Saturday, remembers having chances in the drawn game to win it, what haunts her more is that Parnell’s went on to win the All-Ireland by a landslide.

“We had chances in that (drawn) game to win it. They went on to beat Cahir of Tipperary by a good margin in the final, by 15 points (2-14 to 1-2), and it hurt because we had been so close to them.

“So, they beat us in a replay up in Emyvale in 2012, and then, obviously, we lost All-Ireland senior semi-finals to Termon (Donegal) in 2014 and Mourneabbey (Cork) in 2015 and 2018. So, to finally get past that barrier — the semi-final stage — this year was massive, from a psychological point of view more than anything.”

Indeed, their 5-12 to 2-10 victory over Leinster champions Foxrock/Cabinteely a fortnight ago was nothing less than impressive. For county star Ward, it was also satisfying to put one over a Dublin team, having lost out with the Tribeswomen to Dublin in last September’s All-Ireland final.

“It was nice to finally get one over a Dublin team,” she admits. “We had an element of confidence about us going into it; I think we knew what we were capable of, and we always know that if we can get a good performance we will be there or thereabouts.”

They now face title holders Mourneabbey, a side they have lost to on the previous two championship occasions they have met. However, Ward says with each passing year, the Kilkerrin/Clonberne players getting older, more experienced, and better conditioned. The latter can only happen by design.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

CITY TRIBUNE

Council officials branded ‘ignorant’ after reneging on circus agreement

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A circus branded City Hall in Galway ‘ignorant and arrogant’ after a spat over access to public space.

Circus Gerbola criticised Galway City Council for limiting the days its big top was permitted in Claude Toft carpark in Salthill and for reneging on an agreement.

The touring troupe said that last January, it provisionally booked the carpark from August 4-21. In early July, the Council emailed the circus and said it would be limited to seven days only.

Event Producer Jane Murray said she then secured a verbal compromise to rent the carpark for 10 days, including two weekends. But then the Council contacted the circus again and insisted that the site could be used for seven days only.

“I wouldn’t call them clowns because I think it would be an insult to clowns and generations of clowning. They were just extremely ignorant and arrogant. They were so unempathetic,” fumed Ms Murray.

They then scrambled to find alternative accommodation, in Kinvara, for performances today, Saturday and Sunday.

The third planned week has been moved to Conamara. From next Monday, the big top moves to Fíbín theatre company grounds in An Tulach, Cois Fharraige, for a series of events.

A Council statement said the matter was discussed at length internally.

“The carpark in question is relied upon by locals and tourists alike for parking, particularly during the busy tourist season. The best compromise in this situation was to permit the circus to take over full use of the car park for seven days. We do envisage complaints/representations from locals at being prevented from using this car park for a full week,” it said.

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of this story, see the August 12 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Residents call on Galway City Council to tackle burning of rubbish

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Local residents have called on the authorities to tackle the problem of an ongoing illegal dump in the Castlegar area with the rubbish being burnt off on a regular basis.

A particularly intense fire was set off in the Bruckey area on Tuesday afternoon last with black smoke billowing from the blaze – forcing local people to close their windows and doors.

According to one local resident, even the Fire Brigade couldn’t access the blaze which eventually burnt itself out over the following days.

“This has been going on for the past four years and we have made several overtures to the City Council on the issue as well as contacting the Gardaí, but nothing is being done about this.”

He said that the land being used as dump and fire site was rented and added that those burning waste were ‘a complete law onto themselves who did whatever they liked’.

(Photo: the fire burning on Tuesday)

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of this story, see the August 12 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Councillors ignore Transport Authority recommendation on estate access

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A submission by the National Transport Authority (NTA) – seeking to restrict new access points along the Western Distributor Road to ‘cyclists and pedestrians’ only – has been defeated at a City Council meeting.

Councillors voted 12-4 to reject the NTA submission presented in the draft Galway City Development Plan (2023-29) which sought to prevent new access points being provided for vehicular traffic.

The NTA in their submission said that their proposal was aimed at ‘protecting investment in public transport’ and in ‘facilitating sustainable travel’.

In his response to the submission, City Council Chief Executive, Brendan McGrath, said that the Council did not want any further restrictions to be put in place.

Councillors Niall Murphy (Green Party) and Colette Connolly (Ind) had proposed the acceptance of the NTA submission in order to improve access for cyclists and pedestrians.

Senior Planner with the Council, Caroline Phelan, said that there was a substantial bank of land in this area (off the Western Distributor Road) and the objective was to be able to access zoned land.

Cllr Declan McDonnell (Ind) said that if land in such areas was prevented from being developed by a lack of access, it would have major implications for industry, jobs, housing and schools. “We have to allow access,” he said.

(Photo: The ‘Kingston Cross’ lands on the Western Distributor Road which were earmarked for a commercial and residential development anchored by Tesco and Decathlon: An Bord Pleanála previously ruled access points would be a traffic hazard, particularly when it came to cycling infrastructure and a bus corridor on the road).

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of this story, see the August 12 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending