Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Walsh stays calm ahead of massive test against Mayo rivals

Published

on

Galway football manager Kevin Walsh who admits expectations have risen ahead of Sunday's big clash against Mayo in Castlebar.

GALWAY manager Kevin Walsh is in jovial form as he briefly chats about a 20-year reunion held in the Galmont Hotel recently to celebrate the county’s football breakthrough in 1998.

“It was great. I was expecting to see a few fat bellies and a few bald heads but I was disappointed on both fronts,” he joked, of the condition of his All-Ireland winning former team-mates two decades on.

An unbeaten run in the League that culminated in a spirited defeat at the hands of Dublin in the final, means there’s a buzz back in Galway football that probably hasn’t been seen since those glory days. It was May Day, 12 days’ out from Sunday’s season defining provincial quarter-final clash with perennial All-Ireland contenders, Mayo, and Walsh acknowledged maroon hopes are rising again.

“There’s expectation there where there wasn’t two or three years ago,” said Walsh, holding court at the Connacht GAA Centre of Excellence in Bekan.

“Expectation brings the buzz and then you’ve got the banter between supporters and that’ll go on. Maybe when people really don’t believe they’re going to win they go missing so there is no banter.”

Two seasons ago Galway supporters went to Castlebar more in hope than expectation. But in 2016 when Galway overcame Mayo, holders of five-in-a-row of Connacht titles, the on-field celebrations in Castlebar that followed were perhaps OTT, understandably so, as fans released frustration that had pent-up over years of losing and underperforming.

This time round it’s different: Galway expects. So how do you manage the build-up?

“Same way,” he said. “We have to just isolate ourselves from what’s outside, reading papers and listening to too much, it is important they don’t. Obviously, expectation is rising. It’s a sign that we’re probably doing something right over the last while so that’s a good sign, but it does bring its own little pressures. Having said that if you’ve your work done and you’re clear in your role and your process and you bring your ‘A’ game to the table, you’ll give yourself a chance.”

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

CITY TRIBUNE

Galway City Council Chief asked to intervene after Kirwan junction ‘near misses’

Published

on

From the Galway City Tribune – Chief Executive of Galway City Council, Brendan McGrath, has been urged to intervene and instigate a review of the controversial changeover of Kirwan roundabout to a traffic light junction.

A relative of the Collins’ family, who operate a B&B on Headford Road, has pleaded with Mr McGrath to act to make it safe to enter and exit this house.

Joseph Murphy, from County Galway but living in England, a relative of the owners of the B&B located on the N84 side of the Headford Road, has warned of the potential for a serious collision at that junction.  He wrote to Mr McGrath, and copied all city councillors including Mayor of Galway, Clodagh Higgins (FG), seeking a review of the junction and in particular access to the B&B. Mr Murphy said he has been driving for forty years but this junction was “one of the most difficult and complicated traffic light junctions I have ever experienced”.


The CCTV shows a van stopping in the junction to give way to pedestrians before entering the B&B.

He said he wrote the letter because he nearly had a serious accident, due to no fault of his, when leaving the residence.

An amber traffic lights system is in place at the house, since the junction changeover last year, which is supposed to help motorists exit onto the Headford Road from the B&B.


This article first appeared in the print edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can support our journalism by subscribing to the Galway City Tribune HERE. A one-year digital subscription costs just €89.00. The print edition is in shops every Friday.


He said the lights are complicated and it was unreasonable and unfair on his family and any guests staying at their B&B who may be endangered trying to enter or exit the driveway.

Videos of ‘near misses’ recorded on CCTV footage, and supplied to Councillor Mike Crowe (FF), have been seen by the Galway City Tribune.

They give a flavour of how dangerous it is to exit the residence on an amber light; and indicate an apparent lack of understanding of the system on the part of other motorists.

Cllr Crowe and other elected members raised this safety issue at a Council meeting last week during a discussion on the City Development Plan. It was decided to rezone some land adjacent to Sandyvale Lawn, which would allow for a new entrance to the house to be constructed, although there is no timeframe.

Mr Murphy, in his email to officials and councillors said it was an “extremely busy junction”.

“I do not believe that enough planning or consideration was taken when the traffic lights were installed, especially those that were installed directly in front of my sister’s house.

“My relatives in Galway should not have to worry every time they leave their house nor should anyone coming from the Menlo direction have to worry about getting blocked in by other vehicles when entering my sister’s house,” he said.

Mr Murphy added: “I would urge the Galway City Council to carry out an immediate review to make this busy junction safe before somebody gets hurt in a serious accident.”

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Plan for former pub in Galway to house Ukrainian refugees

Published

on

From the Galway City Tribune – The former Lantern Bar in Ballybane has been proposed to accommodate Ukrainians seeking refuge in Galway.

The Galway City Tribune has learned that works are underway on the building to advance the plans.

The Council confirmed that they had been briefed on the proposal but refused to be drawn on the details.

“Galway City Council is aware of a proposal to use the Lantern Bar at Ballybane Shopping Centre for refugees,” said a spokesperson.

“The coordination of the development of accommodation facilities such as this is the responsibility of the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth.”


This article first appeared in the print edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can support our journalism by subscribing to the Galway City Tribune HERE. A one-year digital subscription costs just €89.00. The print edition is in shops every Friday.


The local authority spokesperson said they did not have information on the number of people who would be accommodated, nor did they know when the facility might be open.

The Lantern Bar has not operated as a pub for some time, although its licence was renewed on appeal at Galway Circuit Court in February 2020 when the court was told that it was intended to sell the premises.

The bar, which had been the location of a series of public order incidents in 2019, had previously had its licence revoked following several objections from residents.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

City centre residents’ fears over new late-night opening hours

Published

on

From the Galway City Tribune – Residents in one of the city centre’s oldest residential areas fear their lives will be turned upside-down by proposed later opening hours for pubs and nightclubs.

Chairperson of the Bowling Green Residents’ Association, Jackie Uí Chionna, told a public meeting of the City’s Joint Policing Committee (JPC) that as city centre residents, anti-social behaviour was part of their daily lives.

However, they expected the situation to worsen if Government proceeded with proposals to extend nightclub opening hours to 6.30am.

“Our concern at our recent AGM was the longer pub opening hours – it will result in an increase in [anti-social behaviour],” said Ms Uí Chionna.

She said it was their belief that this policy went against the right of city centre residents to “exist and live as a community” in the middle of town.

“We oppose increasing opening hours. We won’t have any sleep – we have minimal as it is. And we won’t feel safe to walk on the streets.

“It is regrettable that there has been so little consultation with gardaí and residents,” said Ms Uí Chionna.

Chief Superintendent Gerard Roche said Gardaí were waiting to see what happened with the legislation for later opening hours.

“On one hand, not having 5,000 or 10,000 people coming out at the one time will be a benefit but the question is if they won’t [come out at one time]. And will businesses buy into it?” questioned the Chief Supt.

Meanwhile, another Bowling Green resident and former city councillor, Nuala Nolan, raised concerns about the new model of policing and said rostering, which had gardaí working three days on and four days off was making it difficult to follow up on matters with community gardaí.

“You can’t get that person when they’re off for another four days – the continuity is gone,” said Ms Nolan.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending