A walk in COVID-19 test centre is now operational at the former Galway Airport site in Carnmore.
The centre opened at 10am today and will operate from 10am until 7.30pm on weekdays, and from 10am to 5.30pm on Saturday and Sunday.
The temporary walk-in will function independently of the main testing base to identify asymptomatic cases of COVID-19 in the community.
The no appointment service is free of charge and available to those aged over 16.
The public is reminded that anyone with symptoms of the virus must call their GP for referral to the main testing base.
Chief Officer of Community Healthcare West Breda Crehan-Roche says a walk-in pop up testing site is also being examined for the city centre where transport would not be required – to hear more, tune in to Galway Bay fm news on the hour
IFA warn farmers to check security following recent spate of farm machinery thefts in the county
Galway Bay FM Newsroom – Farmers have been advised to check the security of their farms following an increase in the number of thefts that have taken place around the county.
A number of high-tech farm burglaries targeting trailers, power tools and garden machinery has taken place in Galway that has left farmers thousands of euros out of pocket.
This warning was issued by Galway/Mayo IFA Regional Executive Roy O’Brien who has asked all farmers to review their security measures.
He said that farmers may be complacent at this time of year with the heavy workload on farms along with the countryside being quieter than normal due to covid restrictions.
Speaking to Galway Bay FM News, he also asked farmers to check their insurance policy cover as many may not have stolen goods/criminal liability on their policies.
City Council backs development of local greenways
Galway Bay FM Newsroom – Galway City Council has backed the development of local greenways
Labour Councillor Niall McNelis submitted a motion for the Local authority to back the proposed Athenry to Claremorris greenway as well as the Galway to Athlone greenway which is currently in stage two of its public consultation process.
The motion further states that the council should back both projects as they will drive tourism and economic growth acoss the west and has been unanimously agreed
Councillor McNelis says it makes sense to back the projects as Galway city will be the ultimate destination for both greenways.
More on Galway Bay FM News
Galway among lowest rates of “no-shows” for salon appointments after first lockdown
Galway Bay FM Newsroom – As hairdressers and beauty salons prepare to open on Monday for the first time this year, a survey has revealed that Galway had one of the lowest rates of “no-shows” for appointments following the first lockdown.
The nationwide survey, undertaken by booking software firm Phorest, was based on the reopening of salons in July last year.
With hairdressers and beauty salons on the cusp of opening their doors once again, the appointments are rolling in, with many joining multiple waiting lists for their local salons.
But data from a survey conducted by Phorest shows that after the first lockdown, an average of six percent of people nationwide failed to turn up for an appointment – without giving any notice.
The figure for Galway stands at the bottom of the national table – standing at 3.8 percent, just above Roscommon, Offaly and Leitrim.
While the worst offenders were in Westmeath by a clear margin – with almost 10 percent of people failing to turn up.
Phorest says these “no-shows” across the country cost the salon industry an estimated half a million euro every day in lost revenue.
People are being reminded that many salons are struggling with reduced capacity due to social distancing – and will be left out of pocket when people book an appointment but fail to turn up without any advance notice.