Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

VW bosses go down hybrid path with new look for Europe’s most successful car

Avatar

Published

on

Volkswagen Golf 8.

Almost every week there is a global premiere of one or two new cars but few make the motoring world sit up in anticipation quite like the launch of a new Volkswagen Golf. As Europe’s most successful car for more than four decades, and while the shape and looks has been evolving the eighth version of the Golf is about to take Volkswagen in a number of different directions.

The world premiere of the newest Golf happened last week and, according to VW bosses, it will be digitalised, connected, and intuitive to operate.

All eyes have been watching what the German car giant will do in the changing times that ahead. Hybrid is the immediate future in terms of electrification for the Golf as well as offering traditional internal combustions engines. All-electric power will be held for the ID family with the current e-Golf being withdrawn from the catalogue.

“Over the course of seven generations, the Golf has impressed more than 35 million customers. The entire automobile industry expects a new Golf to set the standard”, explained Dr. Herbert Diess, Chairman of the Board of Management of Volkswagen AG.

Over the years this car has been the primary model of the brand and the eighth Golf will be available in no less than five hybrid versions with 48V technology: a belt starter generator, 48V lithium-ion battery and the latest generation of efficient TSI engines form a new mild hybrid drive in the eTSI.

Volkswagen will also make available two plug-in hybrid drive variants. A new efficiency version generates 150 kW / 204 PS while a sportier GTE delivers 180 kW / 245 PS. Both Golf versions with plug-in hybrid drives will launch with a new 13 kWh lithium-ion battery on board that enables larger electrically powered ranges of approximately 60 kilometres, and temporarily turns the Golf into a zero-emissions vehicle.

 

Connacht Tribune

Council staff under pressure from worsening flooding

Enda Cunningham

Published

on

A lack of local authority outdoor staff available to deal with the huge rainfall level over the past week has led to the closure of roads around County Galway, it was claimed this week.

At a meeting of Galway County Council on Monday, a senior local authority official admitted that staff have been ‘stretched’.

Rising water tables and heavy rainfall has resulted in road closures around the county, but according to the Council, there are no houses under threat at the moment.

Iarnród Éireann has also introduced bus transfers on the Galway-Limerick line because of rising water levels at Kiltartan.

The volume of rainfall resulted in road closures, while flooding on the N83 (the old N17) between Tuam and Galway resulted in three-mile tailbacks at Two Mile Ditch – journey times were more than two hours in some cases.

Cllr Joe Byrne told the Council meeting this week that there are not enough outdoor staff on the ground to keep the water tables at a level that would not require roads to be closed.

He was supported by Cllr Jim Cuddy, who said that workers with spades and shovels were required to keep the water tables under control and there was a need to increase outdoor staff at this time of year.

The Independent councillor said that he had heard of some people being stuck in traffic for three hours as they approached the city from the Headford Road and Tuam Road directions.

However, Council Director of Services for Infrastructure, Jim Cullen, said that all of the outdoor staff vacancies had been filled.

Mr Cullen explained that the number of outdoor staff employed by the Council was dependent on the roads budget made available to the local authority on an annual basis.

Council Senior Executive Engineer Damien Mitchell explained that their staff had been stretched over recent days in what where very difficult conditions.

“Nobody has been found wanting. It is not easy,” Mr Mitchell admitted.

(Picture shows a generator being brought to a house at Cloonacauneen this week to help pump flood waters. PHOTO: JOE O’SHAUGHNESSY)
This is a preview only. To read extensive coverage of the flooding around the county (including photographs), see this week’s Connacht Tribune. Buy a digital edition of this week’s paper here.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Council pays €3m for land for social housing in Claregalway

Declan Tierney

Published

on

Galway County Council has forked out almost €3 million – more than €400,000 per acre – for development land in Claregalway which it has earmarked for social and affordable housing.

At a local authority meeting this week, some councillors expressed disbelief at the amount paid by the Council for the 7.2 acres.

Local elected representatives expressed frustration and annoyance that they had not been made aware of the purchase until after the deal was done.

Director of Services for Housing, Michael Owens, told a meeting of the County Council on Monday that the lands had been acquired on the open market in the townland Droim na Gaoithe and this will be development for social and affordable housing. He said that a valuer had been engaged for this purpose.

An irate Cllr Jim Cuddy said that as the most local elected representative, he was not aware of the land acquisition. He said that he was not aware of when it was purchased or how much had been paid for it.

The Independent councillor said that the population increase experienced in Claregalway in recent years required the provision of a playground, while he added that there was an urgent need for additional cemetery space as there were just two plots remaining in the existing graveyard.

“It is crazy that more than €406,000 an acre was spent on land for a housing scheme [affordable housing] that doesn’t exist. The County Council would have serious questions to ask if this matter came before a Dáil Public Accounts Committee,” Cllr Cuddy said.
This is a preview only. To read the rest of this article, see this week’s Connacht Tribune. Buy a digital edition of the paper here.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Councillor hits out at Travellers over stranded horses

Declan Tierney

Published

on

The horses stranded off the Headford Road last weekend.

A county councillor has accused members of the Traveller community of abandoning their horses to flood waters along the Headford Road – which led to a rescue operation being staged over the weekend.

It was proposed that the N84 become a ‘horse exclusion zone’ in the interest of safety and animal welfare and that there are strict land ownership requirements before horses are allowed graze there.

According to Cllr James Charity, a major voluntary effort was put in place to rescue animals that were stranded in flood waters along the main Headford Road.

“It is sickening to see the number of horses that have been abandoned and the fault lies with the Traveller community who do not want to take responsibility for this awful situation.”

The Independent councillor, along with Galway Fire and Rescue Service, Council wardens and local volunteers were involved in a major rescue operation last weekend on the Curraghline when the River Clare burst its banks in several locations.

He told fellow councillors that a meeting was organised to discuss animal welfare along the Headford Road and while the Galway Traveller Movement were invited, they failed to attend.
This is a preview only. To read the rest of this article and extensive coverage of flooding (including photos) around the county, see this week’s Connacht Tribune. Buy a digital edition of the paper here.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending