Statement – From Monday 5th July 2021, Portiuncula University Hospital will be easing general visiting restrictions and facilitating visits to patients in the ward areas by appointment. Appointments will be staggered across all ward areas each day between 3:00pm and 4:30pm.
James Keane, Hospital Manager said, “We are delighted to be in a position to re-introduce visiting from today the 5th July 2021. We will be arranging visits by appointment to minimise the risk of COVID-19 to patients, family members and staff. Each patient can have one nominated visitor daily for up to 20 minutes.
“To schedule a visit, the family member/visitor should contact the relevant ward between 11:00am and 12:30pm Monday – Friday (weekend visiting must be arranged on Friday morning). Nominated visitors should arrive 5-10 minutes prior to their appointed time.
“Entrance to the hospital will be via the Emergency Department where “Meet and Greet” staff will check the nominated visitor from the approved visiting list and will ask the relevant COVID-19 screening questions.
“This assigned appointment is for visiting only. Appointments to speak with the Doctor must be arranged via the relevant consultant secretary.
“Visitors will be required to follow public health guidance, including wearing a surgical mask and performing good hand hygiene regularly during their visit to the hospital.
“Children under the age of 16 are not permitted to visit the hospital. Visiting on critical and compassionate grounds will continue to be facilitated at the discretion of the ward/unit manager or designated nurse in charge.
“We are grateful to the public for their co-operation in ensuring we can resume visiting in a safe manner to protect our patients and visitors. For this reason we will not be resuming routine visits for patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19.”
City Councillor backs calls from Water Safety Ireland warning about inflatable toys in open water as World Drowning Prevention Day is marked
Galway Bay FM Newsroom – Galway City Councillor Niall McNelis has backed calls by Water Safety Ireland warning the public against using inflatable toys in open water.
Today marks World Drowning Prevention Day and the city councillor said they should never be used at rivers, lakes and beaches.
Lifeguards trained by Water Safety Ireland have also seen an increase in the use of inflatable toys such as air mattresses, boats and inflatable rings.
Both the Irish Coast Guard and Irish Water Safety organisations have called on everybody to redouble their efforts to ensure that basic safety precautions are observed when recreating on or near the water.
Councillor McNelis said that the lead of Clare and Waterford County Councils to ban inflatables from bathing areas should be followed nationally.
1,126 new cases of Covid-19 reported nationally
Galway Bay FM Newsroom – The Department of Health has reported 1,126 new cases of Covid-19 this afternoon.
123 patients are currently being treated in Irish hospitals with the virus in comparison with 105 yesterday.
Of those, 22 are in intensive care units, an increase of one.
The five-day moving average in Ireland has risen to 1,285, compared to 1,101 this day last week.
The 14-day incidence rate per 100,000 of the population now stands at 321, while the seven-day moving average is 1,229.
The head of the HSE says almost 70 percent of the adult population is now fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
Paul Reid says more than 5.5 million doses have been administered so far.
He says over 80 percent of adults have now had at least one dose.
LISTEN: Independent Deputy asks NTA to investigate decision to cancel 20 and x20 bus routes that services towns and villages in East Galway
Galway Bay FM Newsroom – The decision to cancel the existing 20 and x 20 bus routes that services Loughrea has been criticised by independent deputy Sean Canney.
Bus Éireann said that the decision was taken to safeguard the viability of the 14 remaining routes following significant losses in 2020 and projected continuing losses over the next three years.
The route also services Craughwell, Aughrim and Ballinasloe.
Deputy Canney this morning has voiced his opposition to this decision saying that it was a total contradiction of Government policy to provide public transport as a means of reducing the number of cars on our roads.
He added that it was a further insult to rural people and denies them access to public transport.
Speaking to Galway Bay FM News, Deputy Canney said the government should take control of this issue and has also asked the NTA to investigate this decision.