Date Published: 26-Nov-2009
THE devastation caused by the flooding in various parts of County Galway could amount to a massive €60 million as insurance companies are already endeavouring to deal with the deluge of claims.
That was the initial estimate from insurers as water levels began to fall in Ballinasloe – switching the focus to south Galway where the crisis worsened over the last two days.
Farmers around Kiltartan, Ardrahan, Labane and Skehana were bearing the brunt of the appalling weather – with fears that more torrential rain is still to come.
Insurance companies are already bracing themselves for a record number of claims and already assessors have visited a number of houses and businesses which have been damaged because of the flooding.
But while water levels remain high, it may not be possible to assess some properties for damage for several days – with safety issues also of prime concern for those inspecting flood damaged houses and businesses.
It is expected that the volume of claims could run to several thousand with the vast majority of those coming from the Ballinasloe area which remains particularly badly affected by the flooding.
The business community in Ballinasloe are also counting the cost of the flooding and many fear that they will not be back trading before the busy Christmas period – such is the extent of the damage caused.
And there are demands that the Government provide an aid package for those households and businesses that are not covered for flood damage.
It is also estimated that the repair of roads as a consequence of the flooding disaster could run into several million euro as well while dozens of cars have also been damaged in the floods.
There was some relief for motorists yesterday when the main road through Claregalway reopened yesterday morning along with the Ferry Bridge in Portumna.
Major disruption was caused when these two vital links were closed for several days due to heavy flooding.
While the roads opened up on a single lane basis, Galway County Council are hopeful that flood levels will continue to reduce over the next couple of days.
Initially the N17 through Claregalway was opened for traffic travelling towards the city before the local authority put in a ‘stop and go’ system to accommodate traffic in both directions. However by 3pm yesterday, the road was fully reopened in both directions.
Diverted traffic had been encountering several hours of tailbacks coming in the Headford Road earlier in the week as motorists were advised to travel only if necessary.
There was also some good news for Ballinasloe when one of the major arteries through the town reopened on Tuesday evening.
The main bridge over the River Suck opened up for local traffic and a stop go system is in place on the slip road coming into the N6 motorway. Frank Gilmore of Galway County Council said that two sections of the new M6 motorway would continue to be used by motorists.
More on the floods and their impact in this week’s Tribune.
Page 1 Councillors demand emergency aid
Galway’s wettest month
Page 2 Craughwell begins long road to normality
Page 8 Farmers demand ‘practical’ solutions
‘Grace of God’ spares Claregalway
Page 9 Relief scheme reaps rewards
Page 10 Ballinasloe businesses count the cost
Community spirit triumphs
Page 11 South Galway relives nightmare
Crisis shows community coverage at its best
Page 12 Ballinasloe picks up the pieces
Page 13 Mountbellew – Neighbours turn to neighbours
Page 14 Editorial – Govt. must announce relief scheme
The way we were – Protecting archives of our past
People’s living conditions less than 100 years ago were frightening. We have come a long way. We talk about water charges today, but back then the local District Councils were erecting pumps for local communities and the lovely town of Mountbellew, according to Council minutes, had open sewers,” says Galway County Council archivist Patria McWalter.
Patria believes we “need to take pride in our history, and we should take the same pride in our historical records as we do in our built heritage”. When you see the wealth of material in her care, this belief makes sense.
She is in charge of caring for the rich collection of administrative records owned by Galway County Council and says “these records are as much part of our history as the Rock of Cashel is. They document our lives and our ancestors’ lives. And nobody can plan for the future unless you learn from the past, what worked and what didn’t”.
Archivists and librarians are often unfairly regarded as being dry, academic types, but that’s certainly not true of Patria. Her enthusiasm is infectious as she turns the pages of several minute books from Galway’s Rural District Councils, all of them at least 100 years old.
Part of her role involved cataloguing all the records of the Councils – Ballinasloe, Clifden, Galway, Gort, Loughrea, Mountbellew, Portumna and Tuam. These records mostly consisted of minutes of various meetings.
When she was cataloguing them she realised their worth to local historians and researchers, so she decided to compile a guide to their content. The result is For the Record: The Archives of Galway’s Rural District Councils, which will be a valuable asset to anybody with an interest in history.
Many representatives on these Councils were local personalities and several were arrested during the political upheaval of the era, she explains.
And, ushering in a new era in history, women were allowed to sit on these Rural District Councils – at the time they were not allowed to sit on County Councils.
All of this information is included in Patria’s introductory essay to the attractively produced A4 size guide, which gives a glimpse into how these Rural Councils operated and the way political thinking changed in Ireland during a short 26-year period. In the early 1900s, these Councils supported Home Rule, but by 1920, they were calling for full independence and refusing to recognise the British administration.
“I love the tone,” says Patria of the minutes from meetings. “The language was very emotive.”
That was certainly true of the Gort Rural District Council. At a meeting in 1907, following riots in Dublin at the premiere of JM Synge’s play, The Playboy of the Western World the councillors’ response was vehement. They recorded their decision to “protest most emphatically against the libellous comedy, The Playboy of the Western World, that was belched forth during the past week in the Abbey Theatre, Dublin, under the fostering care of Lady Gregory and Mr Yeats. We congratulate the good people of Dublin in howling down the gross buffoonery and immoral suggestions that are scattered throughout this scandalous performance.
For more from the archives see this week’s Tribunes here
Moment of truth for Galway U21s
Date Published: 01-May-2013
FOUR matches, four victories, one after extra-time, a Connacht title, four goals and 56 points scored, four goals and 30 points conceded, a heap of wides from their opponents, sinews strained, buckets of sweat and blood spilled.
It’s been one hell of a roller coaster campaign for the Galway U21 footballers but all that will be forgotten come 7pm on Saturday evening at the Gaelic Grounds, Limerick when they cross swords with Cork for the honour of being crowned Cadbury’s All-Ireland champions.
Six weeks ago as Galway set out on their 2013 U21 journey against Sligo in Tuam, the May Bank Holiday weekend final was always the target. They took each game as it came and now it has come down to this – 60 minutes of football to decide who the best U21 team in the land is.
And while there were times along the way when Alan Flynn’s charges looked like they’d fall off the wagon, against Mayo, against Roscommon and again against Kildare, Galway showed resilience and mental strength to time and again bounce back and defy the odds. Often down, never out. It is that perseverance that will stand to Galway in the heat of battle this weekend.
Cork has won an All-Ireland at this grade more times than any other county since the competition’s inception in the 1960s. The most recent of their 11 titles was won in 2009, and they’ve claimed a three-in-a-row of Munster titles with a defeat of Tipperary last month.
Interestingly, five players – Alan Cronin, Jamie Wall, John O’Rourke, Tom Clancy and Damien Cahalene, the son of former inter-county player Niall – that are expected to start this Saturday lined out in each of the last three Munster finals, so they have experience of playing in the pressure cauldrons.
Galway aren’t as experienced. True, a couple of players already have a All-Ireland medal from 2011 – a year Galway beat Cork in the semi-final – but there are a lot of young guns in the panel. Of the squad of 33, about 19 of them are young enough to play U21 next year as well, while eight or nine of the starting 15 will be eligible next year, although you wouldn’t think it given the levelheadedness they’ve displayed throughout the past six weeks.
Galway had plenty to spare over a hapless Sligo outfit in Tuam the first day out, winning by 16 points, which didn’t flatter them, but old rivals Mayo in the following game at the same venue was a different story. After a tense and tight hour of fare, Galway took the spoils after showing immense character to dig it out by two points in a dogfight, 0-9 to 0-7.
Fighting qualities were needed again in the Connacht final in Hyde Park against Roscommon – Galway were minutes from being knocked out of the championship when a heroic comeback, three points in as many minutes from Kilkerrin/Clonberne’s Shane Walsh, rescued extra-time, a period which Galway never looked like losing.
The Tribesmen took their chances when they presented themselves, a trait that also saw them knock-out Kieran McGeeney’s highly rated and much fancied Kildare outfit in a thriller at Tullamore a fortnight ago.
The Lilywhites were wasteful, true, but that’s their problem, and Galway just had too much natural footballing class to take their chances and emerge with a deserved five points, 2-10 to 2-5 victory, despite 19 wides from the vanquished.
For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.
GalwayÕs U-13 and U-16 sides both through to national finals
Date Published: 14-May-2013
It proved to be a very successful weekend for Galway Schoolboy soccer as two representative sides qualified for national finals at the end of the month.
It was drama all the way in Eamonn Deacy Park on Saturday afternoon as the U-13 side drew 1-1 with the Midlands League, but came through the dreaded penalty shootout to prevail by 5-4.
Meanwhile the U-16 side had to travel to Cork, where they emerged 2-1 winners following a very impressive performance. For the second game in succession, it was the goals of the Connolly brothers that proved crucial to both team’s success.
Andrew lines out with the U-16 side and he notched both their scores in terrific away win, while younger brother Aaron was on target for the U-13 side and also converted the winning spot kick.
Mervue United captured a third consecutive Connacht Youth Cup with an impressive 4-1 win over Castlebar Celtic in Milebush on Saturday.
SFAI U-13 INTER LEAGUE SEMI FINAL
Galway League 1
Midlands League 1
(AET-Galway won 5-4 on pens)
A low scoring contest might indicate few chances, but one has to credit two outstanding defences whose splendid covering and marshalling of the front men was a joy to watch.
Galway’s Oisin McDonagh and Adam Rooney never put a foot wrong in central defence, while full-backs Byron Lydon and Matthew Tierney were equally efficient in defence, and getting forward with regular forays.
Further afield, they matched the visitors in terms of intensity and creativity and in the second half in particular should have pulled away from a Midlands side that won the U-12 national title last year.
The visitors certainly offered the greater attacking threat in the opening half, but found home custodian Mark Greaney in top form. Galway’s best chance fell to Joshua Quinlivan, but he pulled an effort wide of the target.
For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.