Date Published: 10-May-2013
Two Asian men have appeared in court for sentence in connection with the discovery of cannabis "grow houses" in Tuam and Loughrea last year.
They appeared before Galway Circuit court.
Vietnamese national, 48 year old Hai Fam pleaded guilty before Galway Circuit Court to the possession and cultivation of 189 cannabis plants worth €151,000 at a dormer bungalow at Raheen Oughter, Loughrea on August 28 last year.
In a separate case, Malaysian national, 34 year old Lim Chun Wan, pleaded guilty to the cultivation of 360 cannabis plants worth €288,000 at another rurally located house at Riverview, Corbally, Tuam on June 2 last year.
Judge Rory McCabe said an appropriate sentence in Hai Fam’s case was five years.
He put a stay on the order until next Wednesday to give the accused time to prove his travel arrangements.
He sentenced Lim Chun Wan to seven years in prison, given the greater value of plants found in his care.
He directed the remainder of the men’s sentences be suspended on their leaving this jurisdiction and warned them that if they ever returned to Ireland they would serve the balance of their sentence.
60 jobs saved at city B&Q after company exits examinership
Date Published: 07-May-2013
60 jobs have been saved at the city branch of B&Q, after the home improvements store successfully exited examinership.
Under the scheme, 2.4 million euro is to be invested by parent company Kingfisher plc, and B&Q will continue to trade at eight stores
This means 640 jobs have been saved nationwide, including 60 at the outlet in Knocknacarra.
B&Q Ireland filed a petition with the High Court in January seeking the appointment of an examiner.
Male pedestrian hit by car in city
Date Published: 09-May-2013
A man in his 40s is being treated at University Hospital Galway after he was hit by a car on the Dublin road this afternoon.
The man was walking near the entrance to Merlin Park hospital at around 1:30 when the incident occured.
Emergency services attended the scene, and he was taken to hospital for treatment of his injuries.
Gardaí are advising motorists to expect delays as a stop-go system is now in place.
Galway call for Transport Minister to intervene in bus strike
Date Published: 13-May-2013
City Councillor Michael Crowe is calling on the Transport Minister Leo Vradkar to urgently intervene to end strike action by Bus Eireann in Galway.
Major travel disruption is expected in Galway and nationwide as the national strike enters its second day.
Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.
Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing their picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city.
It’s understood up to 80 Galway workers took part in the picket on rotational rosters yesterday.
Speaking on Galway Talks, City Cllr Michael Crowe said Minister Vradkar needs to take urgent action to intervene so that transport services can be restored.