The revival in popularity among young people in the 1980s TV series Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has led to a growing problem for animal welfare groups – pet turtles cruelly dumped in the wild.
A pet turtle that had been abandoned was discovered strolling through Rinville Park near Oranmore this week.
The turtle would have almost certainly perished had a woman not encountered it along a path at the park while she was out walking.
The yellow-bellied turtle, a female, measures nine inches in length and is eight and a half inches wide, which is quite big for a turtle.
The Galway Society for Prevention for Cruelty to Animals (GSPCA) is now caring for the turtle, which was most likely dumped by its owner because it grew so big.
“It all started with the Ninja Turtles, every child wanted a turtle and they are popular again. The problem is that they might buy them when they are the size of an old pound coin but they grow much larger. This girl was quite a big one. The problem is you have to buy a bigger tank for them but also they tend to be quite smelly,” said Margaret O’Sullivan of GSPCA.
“Turtles could live for 60 or 70 or 80 years, so it’s not just for Christmas. A pet like a turtle really is a pet for life and they have to be passed on. What often happens is the child grows up and leaves the family home and the parents are left with the turtle and they don’t want it,” she said.
She said it’s not possible that the turtle would have escaped and made its way to the park on its own. “No, by the condition of it – it was very strong and very robust – it was probably left there by someone who didn’t want it anymore. It wouldn’t have survived in the wild. Even though it’s cold-blooded, the weather would get it. It probably wouldn’t be able to find food either,” Ms O’Sullivan said.
For more on this story, see the Galway City Tribune.
Elective surgeries cancelled at UHG as overcrowding continues
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Some non-urgent elective surgeries are being cancelled at UHG in a bid to tackle severe overcrowding at the city hospital.
It follows the issuing of a warning from the Saolta Hospital Group that the emergency department is extremely busy and there is ongoing pressure on bed availability.
General Manager at UHG, Chris Kane, says over 500 people presented at the hospital on Monday and Tuesday.
She says the overcrowding situation is very serious, particularly in relation to the ED, the Surgical Unit and the Acute Medical Assessment Unit.
Members of the public are urged to only attend the hospital in the case of emergency, and contact their GP or out-of-hours service if their health problem is not urgent.
Saolta is also reminding the public that the Injury Unit at Roscommon University Hospital is open from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week, to treat adults and children over 5.
Speaking to Keith Finnegan on Galway Talks, Chris Kane said the current level of patients presenting is extremely high and “unusual” for this time of year.
She also noted there’s also been a rise in patients being treated for Covid-19, including in the ICU.
Galway rowers aim for Olympic gold!
Best of luck to two Galway rowers – Aifric Keogh of Aill an Phréacháin in Na Forbacha, and Fiona Murtagh from Gortachalla in Moycullen – who are part of Team Ireland’s Women’s Coxless Fours team who compete in an Olympic final in Tokyo at 1.50am (Irish time) Wednesday.
Coverage on RTÉ 2 television begins from 1am.
Ireland – who were second in their heat after Australia, who set a new Olympic Record – are in lane two, with Great Britain on their outside, and Australia, favourites for a gold medal, in lane three.
The Netherlands, China and Poland are in lanes four, five and six at the Sea Forest Waterway.
Poor weather meant some rowing events were re-scheduled but the Women’s Fours final was not impacted.
Jim Keogh, Aifric’s father, told the Tribune he was hopeful ahead of the final.
“To make the Olympics is tough, to make the final is tough, to make the medal is tougher,” he said.
Photo: Aifric Keogh, Eimear Lambe, Fiona Murtagh and Emily Hegarty.
*Full coverage of the race and reaction in this week’s Connacht Tribune and Galway City Tribune
Paedophile sentenced to a further 17 months in prison
A convicted paedophile, described by a Garda as ‘a prolific child abuser’, has had a 17-month prison sentence added to a 13-year sentence he is already serving for the rape and sexual abuse of children.
Disgraced primary school teacher and summer school bus driver, 69-year-old Seosamh Ó Ceallaigh, a native of Tuirín, Béal a’ Daingin, Conamara, had at all times denied two charges of indecently assaulting a ten-year-old boy at a Gaeltacht summer school in Béal a’ Daingin in 1979.
The offence carries a maximum two-year sentence.
A jury found him guilty by majority verdict following a four-day trial at Galway Circuit Criminal Court last month.
At his sentence hearing last week, Detective Paul Duffy described Ó Ceallaigh as a prolific child abuser who had amassed 125 child abuse convictions, committed while he was a primary school teacher in Dublin and while he operated an Irish language summer school in Beal a’ Daingin.
They included convictions for rape and sexual assault for which he is currently serving sentences totalling 13 years.
Those sentences were due to expire in August 2024, but last week, Judge Rory McCabe imposed two, concurrent 17-month sentences on Ó Ceallaigh, before directing the sentences begin at the termination of the sentences he is currently serving.
The judge noted Ó Ceallaigh’s denial and lack of remorse and the lifelong detrimental effect the abuse had on the victim as aggravating factors.