Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Turning the tables on St Thomas’ is not the driving force for selector O’Brien

Stephen Glennon

Published

on

Former Liam Mellows player and current team selector, Seanie O'Brien.

LIAM Mellows selector Seanie O’Brien insists the motivation for Sunday’s SHC final is more on delivering a performance rather than defeating the defending champions, St. Thomas. This is despite the latter having relieved the city outfit of the Tom Callanan Cup in last year’s decider.

In the last three seasons, Liam Mellows and St. Thomas’ have dominated the local hurling landscape. Yet, for all that, O’Brien says the 2019 showpiece is not about getting one over this Sunday’s opponents; it is about producing a performance that reflects Mellows’ attitude and application.

“We know, looking back on last year’s final, we didn’t compete against St. Thomas’. They blew us off the pitch in a lot of spots and they took their scores when the opportunity presented itself, where we found scores hard to come by,” recalls O’Brien of that 2-13 to 0-10 loss.

“So, going into this final, we just hope we now can bring our ‘A’ game with us and that we turn up and be competitive because if you turn up and be competitive in a final, you have a great chance. If you win, brilliant; but if you lose, at least you can turn around and say we gave it our all and the better team won on the day.

“We couldn’t say that last year because we were disappointed with the performance and that has been in the back of our head, all throughout the year. So, hopefully, we can remedy that next weekend: that we go out and play. If we do play well, and bring our ‘A’ game, we are in with every chance of winning the county final again.”

That said, O’Brien is under no illusions as to the task they face in St. Thomas’, a side that is seeking its fourth SHC title since 2012. “We know what St. Thomas’ bring. They are littered with inter-county players all over the pitch. They have huge experience with the titles they have won but they also have inter-county hurlers who have won All-Irelands with Galway.

“That is a huge thing to have in any team and it is why they have been so competitive over the past few years. They might be a small parish, but they buy into everything they do. They are a physical team, but they can score. You can’t give them half an opportunity at all; if you do, they will punish you,” believes the former Liam Mellows full-back.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

CITY TRIBUNE

Council on standby for Storm Jorge flooding

Enda Cunningham

Published

on

Galway City Council crews will be on standby from Saturday afternoon as Storm Jorge is set to hit the West coast, bringing very strong winds, rain and potential for flooding.

The Council’s Severe Weather Assessment Team met today and will be holding meetings tomorrow and Saturday to monitor the weather forecast and put in place a plan to deal with any potential flooding or wind damage.

Storm Jorge – which was named by Spanish meteorological services and adopted by Met Éireann and the UK’s Met Office to avoid confusion – will see a Status Orange wind warning in place from 6am Saturday to 3am Sunday. A Status Yellow rain warning will be in place in Galway from midnight tonight until midnight Saturday.

The storm will bring southwest, veering west and later northwest winds with means speeds of 65-80km/h and gusts of 110-130km/h.

Rainfall accumulations of 20 to 30mm are expected and Met Éireann has warned of an increased risk of coastal flooding.

The City Council will have crews on standby from 2pm on Saturday and will close the two public carparks in Salthill if it is considered necessary.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Gardaí issue warning on ‘movie money’

Enda Cunningham

Published

on

Some of the 'movie money' which has been seized.

Gardaí have warned of an increase in ‘novelty’ euro notes – which are almost identical to real currency – in circulation.

The notes are usually marked ‘movie money’ or ‘prop money’, but this can often go unnoticed by the person handling it. They do not have any security features.

Revenue Officers have seized notes in varying denominations representing a value of €430,895 in recent mail centre detections.

Detective Superintendent Michael Cryan of the Garda National Economic Crime Bureau said: “People need to be aware that such notes exist and at busy times, especially late at night, they need to exercise a little care and attention.

“These notes are easily identifiable if precautionary checks are made. Also people who try to tender such notes as real face prosecution, a possible prison sentence and a conviction, which is for life. Such convictions have serious ramifications if one wanted to travel, to work in certain sectors and it can affect their credit rating”.

“We advise businesses and members of the public who deal in cash to be aware that such notes are in circulation and take appropriate precautionary measures. Business owners should ensure staff members handling cash are alerted to watch out for these fraudulent notes.

“The use of fraudulent currency when trying to purchase goods or services is an offence under the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act 2001 and carries a potential prison sentence of 10 years.

“These fraudulent notes should not be accepted as legal tender and any incidents of persons trying to pay with “prop money” should be reported to Gardaí immediately,” said Det Supt Cryan.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Fire at site of former Corrib Great Southern Hotel

Avatar

Published

on

Emergency services are at the scene of a large fire at the site of the former Corrib Great Southern Hotel which broke out in the early hours of this morning.

Four units of the Galway Fire and Rescue Service were called to the former hotel near GMIT at 5.45am. A unit from Athenry is also in attendance at the scene.

Fire fighters are maintaining a presence at the derelict hotel, which has been the scene of a number of arson attacks over the past number of years.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending