Galway Bay fm newsroom – A group of protestors carrying placards and banners staged a peaceful protest near the steps of Galway Courthouse again today, in support of four men facing trial in December for allegedly cutting turf in protected bogs in south Galway last year.
The men are the first to be prosecuted since the EU habitats directive imposed restrictions on turf cutting on 53 Irish bogs, which are designated Special Areas of Conservation.
Michael D’Arcy (43) from Ballycahill, Killimor, Padraic Byrne (57) from Main Street, Killimor, Pat McDonagh (43) from Portumna and Tony Porter (44) from Woodford, face prosecution under the European Communities (Birds and Natural Habitats) Regulations 2011, in relation to alleged turf cutting at Clonmoylan Bog, near Killimor in south Galway on May 22nd, 23rd, and August 21st last year.
In court today, the men’s solicitor, Gearoid Geraghty said there would be three separate trials as there were three separate alleged incidents on three separate dates and each would take two to three days.
Mr Justice Raymond Groake listed the matter for trial on December 17.
European Commission confirms daily fines against the State in relation to the Derrybrien windfarm will cease
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The European Commission has confirmed that daily fines being applied against the State in relation to the Derrybrien windfarm in South Galway will cease.
The State has reached agreement with the European Commission to cease fines of 15 thousand euro a day relating to the ESB-owned wind farm
The sanctions were imposed as a result of Ireland’s failure to ensure environmental standards were upheld at the facility on the Slieve Aughty mountains.
The State has, over the years, paid more than €17 million to the commission, due to the breaches.
The final sum due to be paid is €1,245,000.
Operations at Derrybrien ended this time last year, after An Bord Pleanála refused an application for substitute consent at the site.
This meant the project was considered an unauthorised development.
The company subsequently announced that it would decommission the site.
In a statement to Galway Bay fm news the Dept of Housing says the exact details in relation to decommissioning and site restoration are a matter for Galway County Council and the owner
Galway’s CONNOLLY favourite for Ireland’s Eurovision song choice with decision due tonight
Galway Bay fm newsroom – 19 year old Connemara artist CONNOLLY is the favourite heading into tonight’s Late Late show vote for Eurovision song.
Six songs are taking part in the Eurosong vote on RTÉ One from 9:35PM, all vying to become Ireland’s entry for the 2023 competition being held in Liverpool this May.
The latest betting odds are placing Lettermullen singer, Jennifer Connolly and her song Midnight Summer Night 11/8 favourite ahead of Wild Youth on 5/2.
The winner will be chosen after the public vote is added to the scores from both a national jury and an international jury.
Jennifer told Galway Bay FM’s breakfast show Mollie in the Morning how she came to be among the six acts:
Senator claims barriers to Galway Ring Road will cause huge implications for other infrastructure projects
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Local senator Ollie Crowe is claiming that the barriers facing the Galway Ring Road will result in huge implications for other infrastructure projects.
It’s as An Bord Pleanala is to reconsider an application for the Galway Ring Road, after permission was quashed on environmental grounds.
The Fianna Fáil Senator is slamming the current road network in Galway as “not fit for purpose” and says the ring road is a “substantial piece of the jigsaw” to fix that.
Senator Crowe outlines how he believes the Climate Action Plan will cause more problems down the line: