Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

Tuam woman gets suspended sentence for crash which killed mother

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – A 65-year-old woman has been given a suspended two-year sentence and disqualified from driving for ten years for dangerous driving which led to the death of her 80-year-old mother last year.

Ann Shaughnessy, of 39 Tierboy, Tuam pleaded guilty before Galway Circuit Criminal Court.

Ann Shaughnessy, who suffers from recurring bowel cancer had taken double the amount of prescribed medication prior to the accident at Cloonmór, Tuam on June 20 last year, which caused the death of her mother, Mary Shaughnessy.

She had been disqualified from driving for four years in 2010 for driving without insurance and had a conviction for being drunk in public also.

She was not insured at the time of the fatal crash near the Belclare junction on the N17, Galway to Tuam road.

The court heard a passenger in a car travelling behind Ann Shaughnessy’s car that afternoon, began filming her erratic driving on his phone moments.

The video footage recorded Shaughnessy’s car drifting across the road on a sweeping bend, and drive along the hard shoulder on its incorrect side before colliding with three oncoming vehicles.

Her car then went across the road to its correct side and ended up in the ditch.

Mrs Mary Shaughnessy was pronounced dead at the scene having suffered multiple injuries in the collision.

The court heard she had suffered from Alzheimer’s for 20 years and her daughter had returned home to Tuam to mind her after the break-up of her own marriage in London.

Defence barrister, John Hogan said his client had suffered a lapse in concentration which was perhaps, accentuated by the heavy medication she was on at the time.

Imposing the sentence which he suspended for two years, Justice Raymond Groarke said the woman was on quite an amount of medication at the time and perhaps, she fell asleep.

The judge warned Ms Shaughnessy that if she was spotted driving in the next ten years she would serve the two year sentence, which he suspended.

Breaking News

1491 new cases of COVID-19 nationally

Published

on


Galway Bay fm newsroom – As of midnight, Wednesday 4 August, the National Public Health Emergency team is reporting 1,491* confirmed cases of COVID-19.

As of 8am today, 193 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 28 are in ICU.

Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health said: “Vaccination offers a real way out of this pandemic. The positive news is that take-up in Ireland is extremely high, which shows people understand the benefits for themselves and for their communities of getting vaccinated. Those with at least a first dose in the over 40s is over 90%, in the over 30s it is 84%, in the 18 to 29 year age group it is over 73%, and in the 16-17 year age group, it is over 46%. These figures continue to increase, and each person who has come forward should be commended.

“It’s understandable that after the period of time that COVID-19 has been with us, that some people become tired of it. But the virus does not become tired. It doesn’t care if we are fed up, it only sees the opportunity to spread from person to person when we let our guard down.

“Risk assess your plans this weekend. Remember that if you have any cold or flu like symptoms at all, you should err on the side of caution and stay at home – do not meet up with others, and do not go to work. If you are an employer, remind your employees to continue working from home where possible for now, and not to attend work with any COVID-19 symptoms. Vaccines work, but they must also be supported by us all choosing to act as safely as possible.”

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Covid-19 walk-in vaccination clinics to open in Clifden and city this weekend

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Covid-19 walk-in vaccination centres will once again open in Clifden and the city this weekend. (7/8)

The centres are open on Saturday to those aged 16 and over who have not yet received a first dose vaccine.

The Clifden centre is based at Clifden Community School, and will be in operation from 10am to 2pm.

Meanwhile, Ballybrit Vaccination Centre will be open for walk-in appointments on Saturday from 10am to 4pm.

The Saolta Hospital Group says last weekend proved a tremendous success for both centres, with over 800 people receiving first dose vaccinations.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Coming up on FYI Galway@5

Published

on

  • The Health Minister is encouraging parents and young people to seek information from reliable sources as registration for COVID vaccines for 12 to 15 year olds will open next Thursday
  • Covid-19 walk-in vaccination centres will once again open in Clifden and the city this weekend
  • Partners will be able to attend 12 week maternity scans and C-sections under new HSE guidance to be issued to hospitals tomorrow
Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending