Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

Tuam man pleads guilty over crash that killed baby sisters

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – A 41-year-old Tuam man will be sentenced this Friday having pleaded guilty today to a single charge of dangerous driving which caused the deaths of two baby sisters near Tuam eighteen months ago.

Two-year-old Kate Gilmore and her 12-week-old sister Grace, died following a collision on the N17 in Tuam, in October 2012.

John O’Connor, with an address at 5 Waterslade Downs, Tuam, appeared before Galway Circuit Criminal Court where he pleaded guilty to dangerous driving at the Demesne, (pron Domain) Tuam on 21 October, 2012, which caused the deaths of Kate and Grace Gilmore.

Sentencing in the case has been adjourned to this Friday.

State prosecutor, Patrick McGrath SC, told the brief hearing that the plea met the case against the accused for the DPP and in due course a nolle prosequi would be entered on the outstanding charges.

These outstanding charges are, failing to remain at the scene of an accident; dangerous driving at another location in Tuam on the same date and failing to make a required declaration on a driving licence application.

John Jordan SC for the defence said it would take 90 minutes to hear the facts at the sentence hearing.

Judge Rory McCabe said “This is a particularly tragic case and I’m happy it has been dealt with in the manner in which it has”.

Breaking News

1154 New Cases Of Covid 19 Confirmed

Published

on

From the Galway Bay FM Newsroom: The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 1,154 confirmed cases of COVID-19. 

As of 8am today, 297 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 63 are in ICU. 

The five-day moving average is 1,327.  

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Water Treatment Plants Across Galway To Be Audited As Part of Nationwide Inspection

Published

on

From the Galway Bay FM Newsroom: Every water treatment plant in Galway and across the country is to be audited after unsafe drinking water entered the supply in the South East last month.

52 people became ill after drinking contaminated water that came from a plant in Gorey, Co Wexford, while a plant in Ballymore Eustace, which services part of Dublin, produced unsafe water for 10 hours one day last month.

An Forum Uisce says Irish Water’s delays in informing the EPA and HSE are unacceptable and clearly put the public at risk.

The Minister with responsibility for Irish Water Daragh O’Brien says the audits will start today.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

More Community Care Leads to Decrease In Waiting Times For Galway Heart Patients

Published

on

From the Galway Bay FM Newsroom: Increased community-based care has led to shorter waiting times for cardiac appointments in Galway.

The Saolta Hospital Group says waiting lists for appointments have reduced from 6 months to 6 weeks.

In the past 7 months, more than 1-thousand people have undergone diagnostic tests through community-based services Galway University Hospitals are running with Primary Care Centres in Tuam, Gort, Claremorris and Galway City.

The new care model is also reported to be reducing pressure on hospital services such as in Outpatient and Emergency Departments.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending