Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Tribesmen left to rue a sluggish display in final battle



Galway defender Gearóid McInerney is chased by Limerick's Kyle Hayes during Sunday's All-Ireland hurling final at Croke Park. Photos: Joe O'Shaughnessy,

Limerick 3-16

Galway 2-18

THIS will haunt Galway – an admittedly strange take on their team’s performance which never looked like delivering a second All-Ireland senior hurling triumph on the trot at Croke Park on Sunday.

The concession of three goals to Limerick from turnovers, some appalling marksmanship – reflected in a match total of 16 wides – and with over half of the Galway team well below their best, it almost defies logic that they came within a point of the new champions.

The Tribesmen would surely love to play this All-Ireland final again, but sport doesn’t bequeath such luxuries, leaving Micheál Donoghue’s charges with a mountain of regret at producing their worst display of the championship on the biggest day of all.

The reality is that Galway did so much wrong and, yet, had a suddenly spooked Limerick hanging on for dear life in an extended and breathless period of injury time. Virtually without warning, the men in maroon caught fire in an extraordinary finale which a few of their supporters missed.

And it was hard to blame them for rushing to the exits after substitute Shane Dowling’s goal in the 68th minute left the ravenous challengers eight points clear and seemingly out the gap. The match was over – or so everyone thought.

But in a hurling season littered with sensational comebacks and high drama, we should have anticipated another twist in the tale. Somehow, Galway found the reserves of energy and spirit to take the final to the wire, leaving Joe Canning with an outside chance of forcing a replay in the 79th minute.

It was odds against his free from deep inside the Galway half going over, but the ball could have ended up anywhere when Canning’s long-range delivery dropped short into the opposition danger zone. Time was almost suspended until reserve Tom Condon emerged from a cluster of bodies in the final act of an epic hurling championship.

Even the most blinkered Galway supporter couldn’t begrudge the Treaty men ending their 45-year long famine on the run of play alone. This was a game unlike none other of a marathon campaign for the title holders. This time there was no early blitz; this time they were the ones playing catch up; this time they lost.

Even that scenario must feel strange to a group of players who were defending a terrific 13-match unbeaten championship run, but fatigue may have caught up with them on Sunday. Most of the Galway players were laboured and they just couldn’t match the overall intensity and energy of Limerick.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Connacht Tribune

‘Give even one big GAA game to Ballinasloe’



It’s the most centrally located ground in the country but Ballinasloe’s Duggan Park won’t host a single inter-county match this year – much to the annoyance of one local councillor who wants the GAA to allocate at least one big game to the venue.

Cllr Michael Connolly told a meeting of Ballinasloe Municipal Council that the ground is entitled to host major football and hurling fixtures – even though all but one of the Galway footballers’ home league games are assigned to Pearse Stadium with the other one in Tuam.

“If they gave us one match in Duggan Park, it would be something,” he said. “But at the moment, it seems as if it is being ignored.”

The Moylough councillor described it as the most accessible ground in the country and a venue in which players and supporters like to travel to – unlike, he suggested, Pearse Stadium.

He said that it was “a hateful venue” and few GAA supporters relished the prospect of travelling to the “far side of the city” to watch a football or hurling match.

A recent meeting in Gullane’s Hotel to discuss Duggan Park was attended by Deputy Denis Naughton, Senator Aisling Dolan, Cllr Evelyn Parsons and Cllr Declan Kelly among others.

But the Duggan Park Committee then issued a statement saying that the ground is owned by Galway GAA and any use of the facility needed to be authorised – and no authorisation was given to the meeting organiser, former Mayor of Ballinasloe Joe Kelly, for this purpose.

Mr Kelly has been a staunch campaigner for the redevelopment of Duggan Park and has called on the local authority to row in behind this initiative.

They went on to say that there is a plan in place for the development of Duggan Park which is multiple staged which started with the new dressing rooms, flood lights and a new entrance to the venue.

Planning permission is in place for this development and that €500,000 has already been spent in the Duggan Park over the past number of years carrying out these projects.

The work in the ground, they say, is done to an excellent standard by local contractors with the support of the previous Town Council for grants and sports capital grants.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Former tourism magnet officially on register of derelict sites



The fire-ravaged hotel that was once one of the most popular in the county is now officially considered a derelict site – and that has led a local councillor to call for it to be either redeveloped or levelled.

Portumna’s Shannon Oaks Hotel, for so long popular with anglers and golfers in particular, has been boarded up for more than a decade since it was destroyed by fire.

Local councillor, Jimmy McClearn, has called on the owners to reopen or sell the property – adding that it should either be levelled or redeveloped.

“We are a tourist town and we need a hotel. The last thing we want is for a hotel to be shut up,” he said.

“It is a fine facility and on an extensive site so there is no reason why it should be boarded up,” he added.

The Shannon Oaks saga has gone on for the past twelve years – but now the owners, the multi-millionaire Comer brothers, will be forced to pay a derelict site levy if they do not reopen or redevelop.

That amounts to a seven per cent levy based on the market value of the property, which is worth around €1 million even in its derelict state.

The Shannon Oaks was ravaged by fire in September 2011 and four years later, the site was acquired by the Comer Group who, at the time, gave an undertaking that it would be reopened.

Around two years ago, planning permission was granted by Galway County Council to Barry Comer of the Comer Group to renovate the hotel by providing 60 new bedrooms along with 40 apartments to the rear of the structure.

However, there has been little or no movement on the site since then and now the owners are being again asked to give some indication as to when the hotel will be rebuilt.

It is considered an integral part of the tourism industry for the town and that is why pressure is mounting on the owners to rebuild the hotel.

Cllr McClearn said that all he is asking for is the owners to develop the site and provide a hotel there. “It’s not much to ask in a tourist town,” he added.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

More than €200,000 worth of cannabis seized in East Galway



More than €200,000 worth of cannabis was seized in during two separate search operations in East Galway on Saturday.

Gardai from the Divisional Drugs Unit conducted a search at a residence in Aughrim and seized cannabis plants with an estimated street value of €146,000 and €20,000 worth of cannabis herb which will now be sent for analysis.

Two men (both in their 30s) were arrested at the scene in connection with the investigation and are currently detained at Galway Garda station under Section 2 of the Criminal Justice (Drug Trafficking) Act, 1996.  Both men remain in custody.

A separate search was carried out at a residence in Ballinasloe yesterday afternoon and cannabis herb with an estimated street value of €35,000 was seized. Cannabis jellies and €7,510 in cash were also seized.

A man in his 40s was arrested and later released without charge and a file will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads