Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Transport Minister to officially open Gort to Tuam motorway

Published

on

Transport Minister Shane Ross will officially open the new Gort to Tuam motorway to traffic on Wednesday week – almost five months ahead of schedule.

The official opening of the 57 kilometre stretch will take place at the Kiltiernan junction – near Ardrahan – after which it will allow vehicular traffic for the very first time.

Director of Service for Roads, Michael Timmins informed a meeting of Tuam Municipal Council that the opening would take place at 11am on the motorway itself and then it would be cleared to allow for the first traffic to use the new route.

The new Tuam bypass will also open at the same time and that is expected to bring an end to the daily traffic logjam through the town.

The €550 million project began over two years ago and is coming in well ahead of its scheduled opening which was due to take place around the middle of next February.

Mr Timmins said that once the official opening takes place, everyone will be cleared off the road so that the motorway can take its first ever traffic. He was addressing members of Tuam Municipal Council earlier this week.

Chairman Cllr Donagh Killilea said that while it had been a long time coming, it was a very welcome piece of infrastructure and one that would benefit the whole West of Ireland.

And in an unusual move, the Fianna Fail councillor paid a glowing tribute to former TD for Galway East Paddy McHugh who he said had pushed for the motorway and Tuam bypass while in office.

However, Fine Gael’s Cllr Pete Roche said that it was “a good government” that enabled the motorway and bypass projects to proceed but he has major issues with regard to signage on the N63 Galway to Roscommon road.

The N63 now crosses the new motorway in the Annagh Hill area where three new roundabouts have been provide over the past year or sor.

But Cllr Roche makes the point that anyone coming off the motorway at this junction will face confusion as the roundabouts are devoid of signage apart from one indicating ‘Baile Chlair’ with no English translation.

“The only other signs you see are ones for Roscommon and Longford but there is no reference to the likes of Abbeyknockmoy, Moylough or Mountbellew which is an absolute disgrace,” he said.

It is not the first time that the same councillor has raised this issue and he said that he cannot understand why adequate signage was not put in place to direct motorists to local towns and villages.

He said that for motorists travelling along the N63 from the Galway direction, there are no signs to indicate villages along the route. He said that it will be particularly confusing for those coming off the motorway and added that not every car had a sat nav.

Director of Services Mr Timmins said that a period of time was needed before such signs were erected as he too was anxious to avoid any confusion for motorists using the motorway.

Cllr Shaun Cunniffe agreed that the absence of signs could not be tolerated. “I pity tourists travelling along this road and the only sign they see is ‘Baile Chlair’. We really have to be sensible about this,” he added.

Connacht Tribune

New chapter beckons for dilapidated old houses in Ballinasloe

Published

on

Cllr Dermot Connolly, SF leader Mary Lou Mc Donald, Galway/Roscommon TD Claire Kerrane, and Caoimhin Caulfield, Ballinasloe, at the Dunlo Hill regeneration project in Ballinasloe.

Plans to redevelop a row of empty terraced houses and an old famous bar will breathe new life into Ballinasloe.

Cathaoirleach of Ballinasloe Municipal District, Councillor Dermot Connolly (SF), said the Galway County Council has shown vision by buying seven terraced houses along Dunlo Hill, as well as the closed Dooley’s Bar on the corner of Dunlo Hill and Dunlo Street.

Local authority plans for the site will rejuvenate that street, and give an overall lift to the entire East County Galway town.

Liam Hanrahan, Director of Services for Housing, Economic, Rural and Community Development, confirmed to the Connacht Tribune that the local authority purchased seven two-storey dwellings, a three-storey over basement premises – formerly Dooley’s Pub – and another adjacent three storey building for a total of €390,000.

“The tender for the design team was run in conjunction with another infill development in Ballinasloe and that team is currently being appointed to bring forward the Part 8 planning for 12-15 units – a mix of one and two-bedroom units. We are examining what can be done with the pub unit, a protected premises, as a community hub or other town centre use,” he said.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Barn Owls are bouncing back in Galway

Published

on

The Barn Owl....returning in droves to Galway.

The Barn Owl is bouncing back all over the county – that’s the key finding of a recent survey which recorded an upsurge in the fortunes of this iconic farmland bird, now returning to parts of the county where they have been absent for decades.

The survey was carried out by BirdWatch Ireland in partnership with the Heritage Office of Galway County Council, and it’s great news for a bird that had become an increasingly rare sight around the county in recent decades.

Surveys show that Barn Owls were widespread in the east of the county in the late 1960s, but 40 years later their numbers had diminished, and their range had contracted significantly in east Galway and they were incredibly rare west of Lough Corrib.

However, the survey – carried out by BirdWatch Ireland in partnership with Galway County Council with the support of the National Biodiversity Action Plan Fund – provides cause for optimism and the first evidence that the fortunes of Barn Owls may be changing in east Galway.

The Barn Owl survey enlisted the help of farmers and the general public who reported information on Barn Owls across the county, and the survey also involved systematically checking a wide range of ruined structures, which are the typical nesting sites of Barn Owl.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Spatial jobs strategy is still stuck in first gear

Published

on

Accusation...Cllr Shelly Herterich Quinn.

Commuters in Athenry and Oranmore are having to spend hours travelling to congested urban areas for work while policymakers renege on commitments to deliver industry locally.

That’s according to a local councillor who said the failure of the IDA to attract inward investment to Oranmore-Athenry Strategic Economic Corridor amounted to an ‘abandonment’ of local residents.

Cllr Shelly Herterich Quinn said despite having a commitment in local and national plans to attract industry into what amounts to around 500 acres in Athenry and Oranmore, nothing had come of it.

“We are now entering into the second County Development Plan where we have this ‘Strategic Economic Corridor’, and it was in the National Planning Framework.

“They appear to have abandoned the area and while we’ve seen IDA and Enterprise Ireland get investment for places like Tuam and Parkmore, they appear to be only investing in existing businesses, while doing nothing to attract new industry and indigenous firms to this area,” blasted the Fianna Fáil councillor.

At a meeting of the Athenry Oranmore Municipal District, Cllr Herterich Quinn secured the backing of local area councillors to write to the Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise, Leo Varadkar, seeking assurances that steps were being taken to bring jobs to the area.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending