Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Farming

Me and my tractor

Francis Farragher

Published

on

Mattie Hallinan

HE admits to being ’70 plus’ but Kilcolgan dairy farmer and well known flood relief campaigner, Mattie Hallinan, didn’t think twice when it came to buying a new tractor this Spring.

Mattie, who is still a very active dairy farmer along with his sons Paul and Malachy, ‘pushed out the boat’ on a 140hp New Holland 7185, straight out of the box. He did have a good trade-in to soften the financial blow of a machine that in a straight deal could take the best part of 80 grand out of your back pocket.

“I suppose it takes the sting out of it a bit when you’re trading in one against the other, but we do a lot of work with our tractors, so maybe it’s a matter of enjoying the comfort of it,” Mattie Hallinan told the Farming Tribune.

His first tractor back in the late 1960s was a Ford 2000 and since then he’s always been a fan of the Fords that have now metamorphised into the New Holland range. “One thing I really like about those new tractors is how economical in diesel usage they have become over recent years.

“For such powerful machines they are quite stingy in terms of the amount of diesel they use and I suppose that’s a good thing for everyone,” said Mattie Hallinan.

He admits to being the ‘typical farmer’ when it comes to splashing out a bit when the time is right. “Farmers will generally tend to keep their money in circulation. When we have a bit we spend it and that’s the way it should be too,” said Mattie Hallinan.

His new New Holland with his 141 plates will be seen on the roads of Kilcolgan and Ballinderreen over the coming months and years, but Mattie is hoping that the days of driving through floods will come to an end.

“There have been many times down through the years when you could only drive on those roads with a tractor. “If we could get the flood problems solved in South Galway for once and for all, then maybe I could enjoy the new tractor a bit more,” said Mattie Hallinan.

Connacht Tribune

Marts across Galway have sales for heavier cattle lined up over coming weeks

Francis Farragher

Published

on

Fatstock sales being lined up at marts across Galway to encourage competition in the marketplace for heavier cattle.

THE IFA driven campaign to encourage farmers to sell their heavier cattle at the marts – rather than the factories – kicks off this weekend at Headford Mart.

Headford will host the first of the fatstock events as part of their sales programme on this Saturday, September 19, with at least six other marts lined up for further such events over the coming weeks.

Gort Mart will host a fatstock sale on Friday, September 25 followed by Loughrea (Saturday, September 26); Tuam (Monday, September 28); Ballinasloe (Wednesday, September 30); Clifden (Friday, October 2) and Portumna (Wednesday, October 7).

A number of other marts around the county, including Athenry, are also expected to announce dates for upcoming fatstock sales over the coming weeks.

According to the campaign to encourage the sales of cattle at the marts, Galway IFA have said that the events will give farmers the opportunity to sell cattle that are either under-fit or over-fit for the meat plants, resulting in financial penalties being imposed.

The also point out that the mart sales should be actively considered for the heavier cattle for the following reasons:

■ Payment is guaranteed.

■ Instant market prices.

■ Farmer can make the decision either to sell or hold.

■ Full transparency on AIMS (Animal Identification and Movement System).

■ Specialist buyers/agents will be at the marts to buy such cattle.

Galway IFA Chairperson, Anne Mitchell, told the Farming Tribune that there was a very solid market basis for farmers selling their heavier stock at the marts.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app

The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Welcome as ANC payroll begins its run

Francis Farragher

Published

on

Anne Mitchell: TB costs need to be looked at.
Anne Mitchell: Ensure that any query from the Dept. on ANC is replied to.

THE announcement should have been made on Tuesday by the Minister for Agriculture at the first day of the Ploughing Championships – instead, due to COVID-19, there’s just a routine confirmation that the ANC payments have commenced this week.

Well over 9,000 Galway farmers will be cleared for payment this week in the Areas of Natural Constraint 85% payout for 2020.

It is estimated that the payments in total will be worth in the region of €20 million to Galway farmers – the 15% balancing payment is due to be made in early December.

Galway IFA Chairperson, Anne Mitchell, said that the ANC payment would be most welcome in terms of cashflow on what had been a very difficult year for farmers.

“This is an absolutely vital payment for farmers in the West of Ireland, normally announced on the first day of the Ploughing championships but unfortunately that’s not the case this year.

“However, the important thing is that the payments have commenced this week and they will be a big help to farmers trying to balance the books,” said Anne Mitchell.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app

The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Rural TDs need to ‘stand up and be counted’

Francis Farragher

Published

on

Stephen Canavan: Rural TDs need to 'wake up'.

A GALWAY IFA leader has called on Government rural TDs to ‘stand up and be counted’ in relation to the Dept. of Agriculture decision to send out TB ‘risk letters’ to farmers across the country.

Stephen Canavan, Galway IFA Animal Health Representative, told the Farming Tribune that the decision to send out the letters – at a time when there was no Minister for Agriculture in place – was ‘sneaky’ and a ‘cheap shot’ at farmers.

“The damage is done and the shot is fired – all we can do is to try and prevent the next one from going off. But why don’t our own rural Government TDs stand up for their own people – and do the right thing,” said Stephen Canavan.

He described the Department’s badger vaccination programme as ‘farcical and completely inadequate’ to deal with the core issue of the role of wildlife in the spread of bovine TB.

“If the best the Department can do, is to send out letters to farmers putting them into different risk categories, then we’re a long way off from resolving this issue. Farmers weren’t consulted on this – it was just ‘snuck’ in when there was no Minister in charge,” said Stephen Canavan.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app

The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending