Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Tower bridge future hangs on Fáilte Ireland decision

Published

on

Date Published: 27-Jun-2011

The future of the dilapidated footbridge leading to the Fishery Tower next to Wolfe Tone Bridge is hanging on a decision of the Board of Directors of Fáilte Ireland, who are meeting in Dublin this week.

They will decide whether or not to provide funding towards the repair of the bridge, which has visibly deteriorated and is in serious risk of collapsing, according to Councillor Catherine Connolly, Chairwoman of the Natural Environment and Waterways Committee and also a member of the Civic Trust.

Because of the state of the footbridge, the iconic building has remained closed for almost three years. Cllr Connolly said she has placed this item on the agenda of every meeting of the Natural Environment and Waterways Committee since her election as chair over three years ago.

“From the Committee’s point of view and from that of the Fisheries Board who own the building, progress has been made, in that plans for the new bridge are ready and substantial funding is available from the Fisheries Board. “However, the difficulty is that matching funding is still awaited from Fáilte Ireland,” she said.

But Cllr Connolly confirmed yesterday that she and the committee had been informed that the Board of Fáilte Ireland is to meet in Dublin this week and is expected to make a decision on the matter.

“Any further delay is not only unacceptable but a matter of health and safety and I am calling for Fáilte Ireland to make a positive decision and provide the matching funding.

“In the current climate it is of vital importance that a new bridge be erected to allow the Tower to open again as it is one of the main tourist attractions in the City," she added.

Read more in today’s Connacht Sentinel

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.

That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.

The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.

Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.

Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis

Published

on

Date Published: 09-May-2013

Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.

A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.

Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.

Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.

Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action

Published

on

Date Published: 12-May-2013

The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.

There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.

Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.

Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.

Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.

The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.

However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.

Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending