Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Tourist season looking good as it gets off to a great start

Published

on

Tourist numbers are up and the season is looking good for Galway this summer.

The summer season kicked off brilliantly in the city with good weather and a healthy footfall for the third annual Food Festival, which attracted up to an estimated 60,000 people.

Tour operators have reported strong bookings for June, July and August and since the Cúirt International Festival of Literature two weeks ago, there has been a steady number of domestic and overseas visitors to the city.

Last week, the second week of the Easter school holidays saw a huge influx of visitors to the city, and Fáilte Ireland are already very pleased with their outlook for 2014.

Michael Fitzsimmons of Fáilte Ireland Galway said: “Galway for Easter was very positive and there’s still a stready stream of visitors around, both domestic and overseas.

“Group bookings for the summer ahead is up on last year, with July and August looking very strong. The Food festival was a huge boost to the city helped by the weather of course,” he said.

Fáilte Ireland take readings from visitors numbers to the city and region’s top tourist ‘hot spots’ such as Dun Aengus on the Aran Islands, the Galway City Museum where visitor numbers for last year of 160,000 had doubled on the previous year and Kylemore Abbey.

They also conduct Visitor Attitude Surveys at airports and four out of ten tourists reported their experience of Ireland had far exceeded their expectations while six out of ten had said that Ireland had met their expectations.

The reasons given by tourists for liking their visit were the warmth of the Irish, the scenery, its history and culture, weather better than expected and food quality. And over half of them (56%) said they would definitely return in the next few years.

Mr Fitzsimmons said that bookings for accommodation in the city and surrounds were well up on previous years and that next year’s tourism predictions were “very optimistic.”

Tourists in general found value for money and food and drink costs competitive.

Most of the overseas tourists surveyed on leaving Irish airports said they had listened to live Irish music in a pub, visited a coastal town and tasted a Guinness, visited a food or craft market and took part in a city tour – all activities available to visitors to Galway.

CITY TRIBUNE

Drinks set to flow again in two landmark Galway premises

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Two popular Galway pubs that had been closed are to be given a new lease of life by an extended family.

The refurbishment of the former Central Bar in Woodquay has been almost completed and new owner Michael Gilmore will open the doors this weekend – just in time for the busy Christmas season.

The pub, in recent years known as The Lough Inn, had closed during the Covid-19 lockdowns.

Mr Gilmore is a well-known publican in the city, running the Cellar Bar on Eglinton Street and Seven on Bridge Street. He also has a pub in the heart of Westport called An File.

Earlier this year his two nephews, Mark and Vinny Gilmore, bought Kelehan’s in Bushypark. They are overseeing a major overhaul on the large premises after many years behind closed doors.

Due to setbacks with building supplies, a planned opening by Christmas has now been pushed back until the spring.


This is a shortened preview version of this story. To read the rest of the article, see the December 9 edition of the Galway City Tribune.  You can buy a digital edition HERE.


Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Warning to parents after Galway homes raided in child sexual abuse material investigation

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A senior Garda, who heads up Galway’s Protective Services unit, has advised parents to ‘tune into’ the daily dangers lurking on the internet in relation to child sexual abuse material (CSAM).

Detective Inspector Peter Conlon – who confirmed that four search warrants had been issued to search residences in the city over recent weeks for CSAM – urged all parents and guardians closely monitor their children’s access to the internet.

He told the Galway City Tribune it was critical that parents did not allow their children ‘unfettered access’ to the internet given the prevalence of sexual predators – often from other jurisdictions – who were trawling the net to make contact with children.

“Children may believe that they are making contact with other children but instead it may be adults seeking to establish a relationship with them and to get pictures of them.


This is a shortened preview version of this story. To read the rest of the article, see the December 9 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can support our journalism by buying a digital edition HERE.


“I would ask all parents to seriously and carefully consider the age at which they should give mobile phones to their children – any such decision needs to be age appropriate and where this happens it needs to be monitored closely by the parents,” said Det Insp Conlon.

He also said that parents and guardians should acquaint themselves, where practical, with the latest technologies which make it possible for them to be linked into their children’s phone or devices to monitor content and contacts at all times.

The searches in the city over the past two weeks resulted in the seizure of laptops and other electronic devices from three residences – they are currently being examined in detail by Garda technical experts at their regional HQ in Renmore. Det Insp Conlon said that while there had been no arrests in the city following the latest searches, the course of their investigations would be determined by the content and material found in the devices seized.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Just 85 affordable homes to be built in Galway City by 2025

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune –  A total of just 85 affordable homes will be built in Galway City during the remainder of the Government’s lifetime, it was revealed during a debate in the Seanad this week.

An animated Senator Ollie Crowe (FF) told Seanad Éireann that there would be “riots on the streets of Galway” at the disappointing news that was imparted to him by a junior minister.

In the Dáil, Junior Housing Minister, Malcolm Noonan, confirmed that it was planned to provide 85 affordable homes as part of a Merlin Woods development between now and 2025.

He understood that there were sites identified for affordable housing schemes in other parts of the city, but no applications had been received for funding.

“Housing delivery in Galway City Council is a matter for Galway City Council and it is down to the local authority to strike the balance in respect of social and affordable housing delivery.

“If the Senator feels that the local authority is not delivering enough in that regard, it is really a matter for them to drive a more ambitious agenda. The Department will not be found wanting in funding schemes,” Minister Noonan added.

But Senator Crowe yesterday told the Galway City Tribune that it was an incredibly disappointing and unacceptable answer that there would only be 85 new builds when it came to affordable homes.

(Image: Minister Malcolm Noonan said the new Merlin Woods development will include 85 affordable homes).
This is a shortened preview version of this story. To read the rest of the article,  see the December 9 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending