The trial of a hotel director, charged with threatening to kill his neighbour, which was due to be heard in Galway later this month, has been moved to Castlebar in Co Mayo for logistical reasons.
David Corbett (48) of St Cleran’s, Craughwell, is charged with making threats to three men, on separate dates between January 1, 2012 and February 28, 2014, that he would kill or cause serious harm to Ian Quinn, who owns St Cleran’s House.
Mr Corbett is also charged with harassing Mr Quinn at St. Cleran’s on dates between March, 2012 and July 2015.
The matter had been listed for trial at Galway Circuit Criminal Court, beginning on November 28 next. Mr Bernard Madden SC, defending, indicated to the court that the trial would take five to six weeks.
Judge Rory McCabe said the criminal lists in Galway were already quite full and could not accommodate such a lengthy trial before Christmas.
He transferred the trial to Mayo and listed it for hearing at Castlebar Courthouse before another judge, beginning on Monday, November 27.
St Cleran’s House was owned by film director John Huston and his family from 1954 to 1971 and was bought in 1997 by American actor and chat show host Merv Griffin, who converted it into a hotel which closed in 2008. Mr Quinn bought the 12,000 square foot manor house and adjoining 43 acres of land for use as a family home in 2012.
Two arrested following taxi hijacking in Galway
Gardaí have arrested two men following the hijacking of a taxi in Co Galway last night.
Shortly before midnight, Gardaí received a report that two men who were passengers in a taxi had attacked the driver and stole his vehicle.
The driver was ejected from the car on the M18 motorway.
Gardaí were alerted and observed the car in Claregalway.
A managed containment operation to ‘block in’ the taxi was put in place with assistance from the armed Regional Support Unit.
The car was brought to a stop on Bothar na dTreabh and two men fled on foot. The two men, one in his mid-20s and the other in his early-30s, were subsequently arrested.
They are currently detained at Garda HQ in Renmore under the provisions of Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984.
Man arrested after €90,000 drug seizure
Gardai have arrested a man after €90,000 worth of drugs were discovered in a bog near Ballinasloe.
As part of an ongoing surveillance operation, Gardai conducted a search in Poolboy Bog late yesterday afternoon.
They discovered €70,000 worth of cocaine, and a further €20,000 worth of cannabis along with other drug equipment.
A man in his 20s was arrested at the scene and taken to Ballinasloe Garda Station.
He’s since been charged and will appear before Ballinasloe District Court next Thursday.
Waiting lists surge since pandemic
Waiting lists at Galway hospitals have rocketed since the onset of Covid-19, with fears that the situation will only worsen as doubts have been cast over the long-awaited new elective hospital at Merlin Park.
Figures released from the National Treatment Purchase Fund, which covers the cost of outsourcing public patients to private hospitals, show that since 2020, waiting lists locally have surged by almost 25%.
Galway City Councillor Níall McNelis said statistics obtained by the Labour Party showed the numbers waiting for inpatient and outpatient treatment were ever increasing, and little was being done to address the problem.
“Waiting lists have skyrocketed since the beginning of 2020 and have increased from 52,935 in January to 65,548 in March 2021, an increase of a whopping 23.8% in a little over a year.
“In every specialism, the numbers waiting at Galway University Hospitals are growing and growing month after month, with the number of people waiting for general surgery growing from 3,468 to 4,990 – a 43.9% increase; [the list for] cardiology treatment has grown from 2,406 to 3,231, a 34.3% increase in little over 14 months,” said the Labour Party councillor.
This sharp increase in waiting times came as Moycullen-based Senator Seán Kyne (FG) cast doubt over the mooted 200 in-patient beds and new elective hospital at Merlin Park – something that has long been presented as the solution to Galway’s health woes.
See the full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now – or you can download our digital edition from www.connachttribune.ie