Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Taskforce gets down to work in Ballybane

Published

on

Aoife Tully having fun in Ballybane Playground.

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – The Ballybane Task Force is on a mission.

Since the cooperative made up of all major stakeholders set up two years ago, they have set themselves the goal of highlighting the positive work in train in the eastern suburb while providing support for community, voluntary and residents’ groups that currently operate.

They also want to encourage the participation of all locals – new and long-term – in activities while giving support to developing projects and initiatives.

Already the Task Force has spearheaded some tangible results. Last week, a homework club for secondary school students opened and an afterschool service for primary students will begin in January following the recruitment of staff.

There was further good news earlier this year with the redevelopment of the derelict Ballybane Neighbourhood Centre. It is set to be transformed into a revitalised enterprise centre, scheduled to be open in January.

One of the first tasks the group pursued was to identify gaps in resources and services across Ballybane and lay out a blueprint for action.

They secured funding to appoint a consultant to review this in depth and make recommendations.

The results of that needs analysis have just been published. Its overview of the area’s deprivation makes for stark reading.

Ballybane is described as the area where the older housing estates are bordered by Ballybane Road, Monivea Road and the Dublin Road, but excluding the Doughiska development.

It has a male unemployment rate of 25% or over – compared to a 15% average in the city – a lone parent rate of 35% or higher (24% in the city) and a 35% rate of children leaving school in the early years of secondary school (17%). Just one fifth go onto third level, compared to half elsewhere in the city.

This is a preview only. To read the rest of this feature on the regeneration of ballybane, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. Buy a digital edition of this week’s paper here, or download the app for Android or iPhone.

CITY TRIBUNE

GAA supporters advised to use Quincentenary Bridge

Published

on

Salthill Gardaí have asked GAA supporters travelling to the double-header Galway football championship games in Pearse Stadium today (Saturday) to use the Quincentenary Bridge route to and from the fixtures.

The matches are coinciding with the Streets of Galway 8k road race which starts at 7pm from Grattan Road near South Park via the Spanish Arch, Eyre Square, Galway Cathedral, NUI Galway, Salthill past Pearse Stadium and then back along the Prom before a Claddagh finish roughly between 7.30pm and 8.15pm.

A Salthill Garda spokesperson said that GAA supporters going to Salthill – possibly 1,000 plus – should stay away from the city centre route on Saturday to avoid traffic congestion and delays.

The two games in Pearse Stadium on Saturday are Corofin v. Oughterard at 5.45pm, followed by Salthill-Knocknacarra v. Barna at 7.30pm

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Galway City Council abuzz with rumours of workers’ €5.5m Lottery win

Published

on

From the Galway City Tribune – City Hall was abuzz from early Thursday morning after rumours circulated that a Galway City Council syndicate had won €5.5 million in the midweek National Lottery draw.

Lotto chiefs arrive in Galway later today (Friday) for a publicity event at Newspoint in Galway Shopping Centre (pictured) which sold Wednesday’s jackpot winning ticket.

A National Lottery spokesperson said the city player or syndicate has not yet come forward to claim their prize of €5,541,001.

Hours prior to Lotto confirming the winning player was based in Galway, speculation was rife locally that a syndicate of workers at Galway City Council had hit the jackpot.

The suggestion was that the prize was scooped by a group of ten Council outdoor staff in the syndicate, including five retired staff.

Chief Executive of Galway City Council, Brendan McGrath, joked that he probably had not won it because he was not a regular player.

“A really lovely story and I very much hope it’s true. If it is true it’s well deserved. These guys give wonderful public service and their good fortune, if true, will be well deserved.

“There’s nothing but a feelgood factor about the rumour and everyone hoping it’s true and sending good wishes to those who may have had success.”

Asked about the rumours, the National Lottery spokesperson told Galway City Tribune: “The winner has not made contact yet.”

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of this story, see the August 5 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

JD Wetherspoon unveils plan for ‘superpub’ in Galway City

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – British pub chain JD Wetherspoon has drawn up plans for a €2.5 million overhaul of the former Carbon nightclub on Eglinton Street in Galway – creating up to 70 jobs,

Plans for the ‘The Three Red Sails’ – a bar and restaurant over two floors – were submitted to City Hall last week – and the company said NUI Galway will provide a market for it.

“It is a short 500 metres from NUIG. It’s significant to note that there are 18,605 students in the college as well, which provides a market for the proposed development,” the planning application reads.

Wetherspoon has moved to reassure local residents that its ‘no music’ policy will be in force and “large groups in fancy dress” will not be permitted if it is given the go ahead by Galway City Council.

The company operates more than 860 pubs – including eight in Dublin, Cork and Carlow – and said it will seek “to create long-term relationships with local suppliers” for its all-day food menu.

The plans for the former nightclub premises – which Wetherspoon purchased in 2019 – involve demolition and refurbishment works on the ground floor and an extension at first floor level to provide a roof terrace and beer garden. A ground floor terrace already exists and will be slightly extended.

Drawings indicate seating for around 220 people on the ground floor and 100 people on the first floor (including 50 in the roof garden).

The proposed trading hours are 8am-11.30pm Monday to Thursday; 8am-12.30am Friday and Saturday and 8am to 11pm Sunday and the company said these reduced hours would be a “far less intense use” than the previous nightclub.

(Image: how the new pub would look)

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of this story, see the August 5 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending