Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

An Taisce objects to €100m plan for Docks offices

Published

on

An environmental watchdog has lodged an official objection to the proposed €100 million ‘Bonham Quay’ offices and retail development planned for Galway Docks.

The Galway Association of An Taisce, in a 14-page submission to planners, warns that the development planned for the two-acres former Topaz Oil storage facility is “premature”.

An Taisce argues the development should be refused in its own right, because it does not contain a minimum 30% residential content.

The association also argues that Local Area Plans need to be drawn up for the Ceannt Station and Inner Harbour areas before a plan of this scale could be considered in that part of the city centre.

They also argue that the decision should be “refused or delayed” until An Bord Pleanála makes its decision on the ‘live’ application to extend Galway Harbour.

Gerry Barrett – the developer who exited NAMA two years ago when Edward Holdings’ loans were sold off at a discount – last month submitted plans to the City Council for a €100 million ‘urban quarter’ at Galway Docks.

It includes 26,000 square metres of office space in four blocks; as well as 2,000 square metres of retail space and restaurants with views over the Docks and Galway Bay.

He said the six and seven-storey buildings would create 500 construction jobs and office space for 2,600 workers.

Last week, in a separate application from the same development company, Mr Barrett lodged an application for a residential development in an adjacent area of the same site.

The plan for the ‘Queen Street Development’ student accommodation is for 345 en-suite bedrooms to begin adjacent to the United Methodist and Presbyterian Church in Victoria Place.
For further coverage of An Taisce’s objection, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. Buy a digital edition of this week’s paper here, or download the app for Android or iPhone.

CITY TRIBUNE

24/7 Garda surveillance on feuding Galway families

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Specialist Garda units have been maintaining round-the-clock surveillance over the past week in different parts of the city in an effort to keep the lid on a vicious ongoing feud between two families.

The feud, which resulted in a number of houses being firebombed and a gunshot being fired into a doorway earlier this month, is still simmering but Gardaí have put in place a ‘watch and follow’ strategy in relation to gang members.

Gardaí have also confirmed that they are pursuing a number of lines of inquiry into what they regard as the most serious of the incidents which occurred in the latest outbreak of the feud.

That involved a shooting incident on the Wednesday night of June 15, when a gunman fired a shot into the door of a house in the Bohermore area at around 10.30pm – he is believed to have initially making his getaway on foot before being picked up in a waiting car in the Forster Court area.

Detective Superintendent Shane Cummins, who is heading up the investigation into the series of incidents, said that . . . .
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see the July 1 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Highwire performers to stage Claddagh spectacular

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – It’s a skill known as funambulism – highwire or tightrope walking – and later this month it seems set to draw huge outdoor crowds to the Claddagh Basin.

Staged on seven highwires spanning the River Corrib, south of Wolfe Tone Bridge, the performances on July 16/17 (Saturday/Sunday), will feature a cast of 150 people from all ages and backgrounds.

Entitled ‘LifeLine’, this spectacular event is being produced and presented by the Galway Community Circus group and will be one of the highlights of the upcoming Arts Festival.

Originally, ‘LifeLine’ had been pencilled in as part of the Galway European Capital of Culture 2020 events, before being scuppered by the Covid pandemic.

The highwire event also has a more serious undertone, in its promotion of the importance of mental health wellbeing at a location renowned for its beauty – but also for many personal human tragedies.

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see the July 1 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Knives, live ammunition and drugs seized in Knocknacarra

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Knives, live shotgun cartridges and over €10,000 worth of drugs were seized by Gardaí in an operation earlier this week in the Knocknacarra area.

Four young males – who were acting suspiciously in the Lios Mór area at Cappagh Park on Tuesday evening last at around 7pm – were approached by a Garda unit and searched.

During the search, Gardaí found a quantity of cocaine on one of the men, while nearby they also seized a number of offensive weapons including knives.

All four were detained for questioning by Gardaí after being taken to Garda HQ in Murrough, Renmore and in a follow-up search at a house in Knocknacarra, €10,000 worth of cannabis was discovered as well as three live shotgun cartridges.

One of the men – aged in his early 20s – is . . . .
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see the July 1 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending