Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Archive News

Students struggle to pass exam



Date Published: 08-Dec-2009


NOW if this was a College exam, the students would certainly have flunked it as they limped past the spirited challenge of First Division side St Patrick’s in this Umbro FAI Junior Cup third round tie at Dangan on Sunday morning.

Two up at the break courtesy of strikes by Derek O’Flaherty and Richie Byrne, they totally failed to build on the advantage gained and only a series of outstanding saves by goalkeeper John Burke kept them in the contest in the second half.

A stunning late strike by Padraig Cunningham ensured that the home side had to survive some anxious moments, before the long whistle eventually saved them.

Now while University exams could be used to a certain degree as an excuse for a poor performance, it must be said that the Caherlistrane side did more than enough on the day to win the contest.

Just as in the second half, they spurned a number of opportunities to make an opening half breakthrough and while set pieces seemed to be their only outlet for chances early on, the longer the game went on the more they created from open play.

Early on David Lee (twice), David Geraghty and Liam Dalton all missed close range headers following pin point deliveries by Padraig Reilly. The students also went close when Richie Byrne and Kieran Foley were denied by the woodwork, while O’Flaherty failed to finish from close range.

However, they made the breakthrough on 22 minutes when Stephen Henriques and Byrne combined to set up O’Flaherty and from the right side of the area the front man curled a low effort beyond Michael Newell for a 1-0 advantage.

Only a Henriques header over the bar threatened any further reward for the students, before they added a second in injury time of the opening half. O’Flaherty’s run into the area was rudely interrupted by David Geraghty and a penalty was the reward for the home side. Richie Byrne sent Michael Newell the wrong way from the spot kick for a 2-0 advantage.

Now one would certainly have expected the home side to build on that lead, but literally from the restart it was St Patrick’s who seized the initiative and almost for the duration they drove at the College side. However, they found Burke in almost unbeatable form as a series of top class saves kept the game alive.

The first of them came on 48 minutes when he went full length to keep out a close range David Lee effort, while Vinny Corrigan did his job on the goal line to keep out the rebound from Eanna O’Connor.

The introduction of Ronan Conneely sparked Pat’s into further life as Enda Heenaghan, David Coyle and Padraig Reilly made a huge impact. Now while a number of close calls maintained the status quo the Caherlistrane side were eventually rewarded with a breakthrough on 81 minutes. Conneely picked out overlapping left full Padraig Cunningham and his terrific effort from twenty five yards made it all the way to the top corner, despite Burke getting his fingers to it.

The anxious moments continued for the home side as Burke denied Conneely, while in injury time a great save thwarted Dalton. The visitors continued to pile on the pressure both from set pieces and open play, but there was to be no further reward for Christy Costello’s charges.

However credit must be given to the students’ back four who were overworked but generally performed well. Going forward they had just one shot on target in the second half when Byrne tested Newell, while Tristan Ryder was just wide after a fine run from midfield. It was a poor reward from forty five minutes of action, but still it’s the students who will host Dynamo Blues in the fourth round in Dangan.


For a round up of all the other action from the weekend’s soccer see this week’s Sentinel.

Galway in Days Gone By

The way we were – Protecting archives of our past



A photo of Galway city centre from the county council's archives

People’s living conditions less than 100 years ago were frightening. We have come a long way. We talk about water charges today, but back then the local District Councils were erecting pumps for local communities and the lovely town of Mountbellew, according to Council minutes, had open sewers,” says Galway County Council archivist Patria McWalter.

Patria believes we “need to take pride in our history, and we should take the same pride in our historical records as we do in our built heritage”. When you see the wealth of material in her care, this belief makes sense.

She is in charge of caring for the rich collection of administrative records owned by Galway County Council and says “these records are as much part of our history as the Rock of Cashel is. They document our lives and our ancestors’ lives. And nobody can plan for the future unless you learn from the past, what worked and what didn’t”.

Archivists and librarians are often unfairly regarded as being dry, academic types, but that’s certainly not true of Patria. Her enthusiasm is infectious as she turns the pages of several minute books from Galway’s Rural District Councils, all of them at least 100 years old.

Part of her role involved cataloguing all the records of the Councils – Ballinasloe, Clifden, Galway, Gort, Loughrea, Mountbellew, Portumna and Tuam. These records mostly consisted of minutes of various meetings.

When she was cataloguing them she realised their worth to local historians and researchers, so she decided to compile a guide to their content. The result is For the Record: The Archives of Galway’s Rural District Councils, which will be a valuable asset to anybody with an interest in history.

Many representatives on these Councils were local personalities and several were arrested during the political upheaval of the era, she explains.

And, ushering in a new era in history, women were allowed to sit on these Rural District Councils – at the time they were not allowed to sit on County Councils.

All of this information is included in Patria’s introductory essay to the attractively produced A4 size guide, which gives a glimpse into how these Rural Councils operated and the way political thinking changed in Ireland during a short 26-year period. In the early 1900s, these Councils supported Home Rule, but by 1920, they were calling for full independence and refusing to recognise the British administration.

“I love the tone,” says Patria of the minutes from meetings. “The language was very emotive.”

That was certainly true of the Gort Rural District Council. At a meeting in 1907, following riots in Dublin at the premiere of JM Synge’s play, The Playboy of the Western World the councillors’ response was vehement. They recorded their decision to “protest most emphatically against the libellous comedy, The Playboy of the Western World, that was belched forth during the past week in the Abbey Theatre, Dublin, under the fostering care of Lady Gregory and Mr Yeats. We congratulate the good people of Dublin in howling down the gross buffoonery and immoral suggestions that are scattered throughout this scandalous performance.


For more from the archives see this week’s Tribunes here

Continue Reading

Archive News

Real Galway flavour to intermediate club hurling battle in Birr



Date Published: 23-Jan-2013


Continue Reading

Archive News

Athenry fail to take chances as they bow out of Junior Cup



Date Published: 29-Jan-2013

Athenry FC 1

Kilbarrack United 2

(After extra time)

For the second year in succession Athenry were done in extra time in the FAI Junior Cup as last season’s beaten finalist’s came from behind to snatch an excellent game in Moanbawn on Sunday afternoon.

On a heavy pitch that was only playable following extensive groundwork by club officials all morning, the home side were by far the better side in the opening half, but failed to take advantage of a number of opportunities that came their way.

An Alan O’Donovan penalty gave them a merited advantage just after the restart, but thereafter were on the back foot as Kilbarrack took over, but for all their pressing, the home rearguard were dealing comfortably with their forays.

However they were struck a body blow just six minutes from time, as big striker Keith Kirwan was left all alone at the far post to head the equaliser and from that point on the Dubliners were the better side.

They started off the extra time in the ascendancy and enjoying all the momentum before striking for a good winning goal on 104 minutes. A strong bench allowed them to make some necessary changes and it was not a facility that was available to Athenry manager Gabriel Glavin.

With Gary Forde and Gary Delaney out through suspension following their sending off against OLBC in the previous round, and Seamie Crowe injured, it left their bench rather threadbare with just a number of young squad players available.

Playing with the aid of the slight incline and any wind advantage going, the home side had a Connor Cannon effort on target in the opening minute, while John Meleady was just over with a flick at the other end.

Meleady then tested Andrew Walsh who saved comfortably, before the goalkeeper pulled off a brilliant double save on 14 minutes.

Firstly he went full length to push away a Meleady shot and was then back on his feet to parry David Jackson’s close-range rebound.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads