Date Published: 23-Jun-2011
GALWAY United manager Sean Connor admitted the news from the club this week that it is being forced to place all of its professional players on the transfer list is an undoubted blow, but not one which would spell the end of the club.
Sounding surprisingly upbeat yesterday, the United boss said that while he is hugely disappointed that any departures from the club has been taken out of his own hands, he is still confident the club can turn around its fortunes both on and off the pitch.
“I am not surprised with the news this week, but what does disappoint me is the manner in which it has come about. I had intended to move players out of the club when the transfer window opens in July, but the decision on which players leave is no longer my own.
“I have spoken to a number of players and have lined up some to sign on amateur forms, and take a couple of players from England on loan, and I am still hopeful that can happen. The money needed to rectify the current situation is not huge, and hopefully we can bring that money.
“I managed to secure some sponsorship this morning, and the club has a number of fundraising initiatives lined up, so hopefully we can turn the corner. Right now, the club has a cashflow problem. If we can solve that problem, hopefully the FAI will look at proposed signings on an individual basis and let us go through with them,” Connor said yesterday.
The club released a statement on Wednesday saying that all players in paid employment by the club were free to leave in the transfer window due to an issue over unpaid wages.
“Following discussions with the Football Association of Ireland and the Professional Footballers Association of Ireland, Galway United confirm that all professional players at the club will be available when the summer transfer window opens.
“Galway United would like to thank our players, supporters, sponsors and the Galway FA for their support and patience over the past few weeks. The club has put a summer fundraising campaign in place which we expect will help us out of our current difficult financial situation.
“The fundraising campaign will commence this Saturday, June 25, with a Flag Day in Galway city centre. We ask for the support of the Galway public this Saturday, and at our next home match against UCD on Friday July 1,” the statement read.
Ronan Coleman, the secretary of the club’s Management Committee, said the move did not come as a surprise given the club’s dwindling attendances, the poor run of form it is on, and the economic situation as a whole.
For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.
Judge adjourns Connemara assault case
Date Published: 08-May-2013
A date will be set next October for the trial of a 52-year old Connemara man, who is charged with assaulting traditional Irish musician Noel Hill five years ago.
Michael Folan from Teach Mór, Lettermullen, is charged with intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to Noel Hill at Tí Padraig Mairtín Beag in Leitir Mór, on St Stephen’s Day, 2008.
The matter had been listed for trial on several occasions before Galway Circuit Criminal Court in the intervening period.
It was referred to the High Court in Dublin last year for judicial review after Michael Folan said he wanted his trial heard ‘as Gaeilge’and that a bi-lingual jury be made available to hear the case.
At Galway Circuit Criminal Court, Judge Rory McCabe adjourned the case for mention to October when it’s expected a date will be set for trial.
Bank of Ireland Galway Shopping Centre branch to close
Date Published: 10-May-2013
Bank of Ireland’s branch at Galway Shopping Centre on the Headford Road is to close in July.
The branch is to merge into the BOI outlet at Galway Industrial Estate in Mervue.
Galway Bay fm news reports the 14 staff impacted are to be offered redeployment and there will be no job losses.
Galway RNLI rescues three people stranded on Hare Island
Date Published: 13-May-2013
Galway RNLI Lifeboat has come to the rescue of three students who got stranded on Hare Island after getting caught in the tide off Ballyloughan Beach.
The two girls and boy, in their late teens had gone for a walk and were spotted waving from the island by a local resident who contacted the emergency Services and Galway Lifeboat.
Conditions at the time (4pm) were very changeable with heavy showers.
Three members of the Lifeboat shore crew were working in the vicinity of the station at the time and launched the boat in six minutes.
The three students were picked up safely and brought back to the Lifeboat Station at Galway Docks where they were warmed up and given tea and did not require medical attention.