Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Farming

Straw bedded shed put forward as an alternative to slats in Cleggan appeal

Published

on

Nathan, Olivia and Felim Cotton; Ervillagh, Ahascragh, at the County Galway Ploughing Championship in Shaboley earlier this month. Photo: Gerry Stronge.

THERE is strong opposition to the granting of planning permission to a slatted shed in West Connemara – it is suggested that a straw bedded shed would be more appropriate.

Fears have been expressed that the discharge of slurry would have an environmental impact in the local area. It is alleged that no soil tests have been carried out.

Earlier this year, planning permission was granted by Galway County Council for the erection of a new slatted shed at Knockbrack, Cleggan. It was subject to eight conditions being complied with.

It was a condition that slurry spreading be carried out at appropriate times and not during periods of heavy rainfall or on frozen ground. This was to avoid the threat of pollution.

County planners had asked the applicant, Ann Madden, for further information in relation to the development which will be constructed on an elevated site on the farm. They were satisfied with the responses.

But the decision to grant planning permission has now been appealed to An Bord Pleanala on the grounds that it poses a health risk for neighbouring residents.

It is claimed the applicant has other lands on which the slatted shed could be located that would not interfere with residential properties.

The appeal has been lodged by David and Deborah Murray and Elizabeth Ann and Michael Laffey – the couples are both from Knockbrack, Cleggan. They are hoping that the decision of Galway County Council will be overturned.

According to the planning file, the opposition to the slatted shed was on the basis that it would be located on a hilly part of the farm and away from other agricultural sheds on the site.

It was claimed that the proposed development would be unsightly and visually obtrusive and would be out of character in the area. They said that it would have a negative impact on property in the vicinity.

Concern was expressed about the suitability of the lands for the safe spreading of slurry with fears that it could result in pollution. It is claimed in the appeal that this type of animal housing is alien to the location and a viable alternative such as a bedded shed would be more appropriate.

It is suggested that manure in a composted solidified form would prove a less hazardous risk to the environment to that presented by spreading liquids. Those opposed to the development suggest a straw bedded shed as being more appropriate.

A decision on the planning appeal will be known around the middle of June.

Connacht Tribune

BPS cash being paid to farmers this week

Published

on

Anne Mitchell: TB costs need to be looked at.
Anne Mitchell: Payments cannot be held up.

THOUSANDS of farmers across the West of Ireland should have received 70% of their Basic Payment (BPS) this week, the Dept. of Agriculture has confirmed to the IFA.

The payments were scheduled from Monday morning last (October 18), although it may take up to three days before the money ‘arrives’ into farmers’ bank accounts.

Over 129,000 farmers across the country are eligible for the payments with the IFA urging the Dept. of Agriculture to ensure that ‘no one is left behind’ due to inspection issues.

Galway IFA Chairperson, Anne Mitchell, told the Farming Tribune that given the critical importance of the Basic Payment, it was vital that no farmer be left behind.

“In terms of cashflow and income, this is the most vital payment of the year for farmers. It is crucial for their financial survival and the last thing we want is for any payments to be held up.

“It is absolutely vital that there be no delay with this payment and where there are uncompleted inspections cases, we want to ensure that this isn’t a cause of any delay in these farmers getting their money,” said Anne Mitchell.

IFA Deputy President, Brian Rushe, said that with nearly 130,000 farmers from all over the For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

South Galway flood relief project won’t begin until late 2023 at the earliest

Published

on

Cllr Joe Byrne at Newtown in Gort where flood levels regularly rise by 15 feet over the winter months.

IT will be at least another two years before there is any prospect of machinery moving in to begin vital flood alleviation works in South Galway – a problem that has impacted on hundreds of acres of land.

More than 25 years after the area was described as a disaster zone following floods that resulted in homes having to be evacuated and animals rescued by boats, the situation is still critical, according to local representatives.

And it has been revealed this week that there is no prospect of any flood relief measures taking place in the Tarmon and Kiltiernan areas, amongst others, near Gort within the next couple of years.

Various reports that were due to be published last year – while public consultations were also planned but Covid has been blamed for these not materialising.

It now hoped that these reports will be available in the latter half of 2022 and that a final design will then be made, but works will not commence until late 2023 at the earliest.

Even if flood relief works do start, which ultimately will result in rising waters being released out to sea, they will take a number of years to complete.

Local public representative and engineer Cllr. Joe Byrne (FG) said that the farmers and residents of South Galway are still at risk of flooding for at least four, if not five years.

Few in the area will ever forget the scenes of boats being deployed to rescue local residents, their belongings and farm animals, when the flooding situation reached crisis point back in the mid-1990s.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Smiles . . . but little else for farmers

Published

on

Minister for Public Expenditure, Michael McGrath and Minister for Finance, Paschal Donohoe, before their presentation of Budget 2022 to the Dáil.

FARM leaders have described this week’s Budget 2022 as ‘underwhelming and disappointing’ for the Irish agricultural sector – with nothing new of any substance in the financial plan for the coming year.

The rollover of the different agricultural schemes – annually worth in the region of €600m – has been one of the few aspects of Budget 2022 that has been welcoming by the farming sector.

An overall budget allocation of almost €1.86 billion has been set aside for the Dept. of Agriculture next year in addition to almost €1.2 billion of EU direct-payment funding.

The farming sector had sought to have a percentage of the carbon tax allocated for the setting up of a new REPS II type environmental scheme – however, this hasn’t happened.

Chair of the IFA’s National Farm Business Committee, Rose Mary McDonagh, told the Farming Tribune that there was really nothing of any significance in the budget for the farming commuity.

“There was a commitment in the Programme for Government that a percentage of the carbon tax would be allocated for the establishment of a new REPS II type scheme but unfortunately this hasn’t happened.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending