Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us


Stalker jailed for attack on pregnant woman in Galway



Stalker attacks pregnant woman

A man who stalked a pregnant woman for over four kilometres as she walked to work through the city and then pulled her violently by the hair into bushes where he assaulted her, has been sentenced to four years in prison with the final year suspended.

Father of one, Trevor Gates (46), of 124 Fána Búrca , Knocknacarra, pleaded guilty last February at Galway Circuit Criminal Court to attempting to falsely imprison the woman at Tuam Road, Galway on September 12, 2013; with attempting to rob her and with seriously assaulting her.

Following his plea to those charges the State did not pursue two further charges against Gates of having a hunting knife in his possession on that date and again at Dublin Road a week later.

Detective John Lavery told the sentence hearing this week that the slightly-built 28-year-old woman, who was six-and-a-half months pregnant at the time, left her home in the Knocknacarra area at 7.05am and was walking to work in Mervue Industial Estate, a distance which normally took her one hour and 20 minutes to complete.

She was walking on the footpath, opposite the Allied Irish Bank on the Tuam Road, when she was suddenly attacked and dragged by the hair into the bushes in front of a muddy embankment, which skirts the industrial estate.

Det. Lavery said the woman was dragged through a gap in the fence by the accused.

She managed to hit him with her umbrella and he then let go of her hair. He blocked her way from getting back onto the footpath and she was forced to scramble up the muddy embankment to get away from him.

She ran the rest of the way to her work place where she reported the attack.

Det. Lavery said he trawled through CCTV footage taken from several buildings along the route the woman had taken through the city that morning and he pieced together enough footage to prove the accused, who was wearing a cap and high-visibility vest, had walked behind her while wheeling his mountain bike, for 4.2km.

“I established he had stalked her for 45 minutes at least,” Det. Lavery said.

After the attack, Gates fled on his mountain bike.

He was employed at the time as a contract cleaner and cycled to work each day to and from his home in Knocknacara to a job in Oranmore.

Det. Lavery said he got a positive identification of the accused on CCTV when he removed his cap after entering Merlin Stores to buy a paper, shortly after he had carried out the attack.

Det. Lavery said he didn’t know Gates at the time but he noticed him cycling on the dual carriageway near Oranmore five days later and followed him to his home in Knocknacarra. He was placed under surveillance and was arrested outside Merlin Stores on September 19.

Gates, he said, claimed the attack was not sexually motivated, maintaining instead that he intended to rob the woman’s handbag.

Det. Lavery said the woman suffered a very sore neck and scalp.

“He didn’t manage to pull her hair out, but it wasn’t for the lack of trying,” the detective observed.

“This was a very sinister attack. His actions could have been catastrophic because she was pregnant at the time,” Det. Lavery added.

A victim impact statement revealed the attack had a negative effect on the victim and her female co-workers who immediately changed their routes to work and still feel unsafe.

Prosecuting barrister Conor Fahy said the woman acted with great courage fighting off her attacker with her umbrella.

Det. Lavery said Gates, who comes from Craigavon in Northern Ireland, had been living with his partner and teenage daughter in Galway for twelve years.

Gates, he said, had two previous convictions in Northern Ireland for the indecent assault of two female juveniles and another conviction for robbery going back to 1988. He had another conviction recorded in 1985 for another indecent assault and attempted robbery.

Imposing sentence, Judge Rory McCabe said the woman was violently attacked.

He commended Det.Lavery for his “painstaking” investigation which helped intercept Gates.

The previous convictions in Northern Ireland were an aggravating factor, the judge noted, before sentencing Gates to four years in prison for the false imprisonment of the woman.

He imposed two concurrent three-year sentences on the accused for the assault and attempted robbery of the woman.

Judge McCabe then suspended the final year of the four-year sentence on the recommendation of a probation service report which suggested the accused would benefit from post-release supervision.

He placed Gates under the supervision of the probation service for twelve months on his release and recommended he receive assessment and counselling while serving his sentence.

Connacht Tribune

Passers-by save church from burning down



The quick reaction of passers-by saved a Connemara church from being razed to the ground by fire.

Hill walkers who stopped off at St Joseph’s Church in Letterfrack on their way to climb Diamond Hill noticed a fire and smoke billowing from inside the building.

They immediately raised the alarm and alerted workers from Connemara National Park. They in turn rang Clifden Fire Brigade, who attended the scene and quenched the blaze.

Parish priest, Fr Anthaiah Pudota told the Connacht Tribune that the fire was started accidentally, possibly by a fallen candle in the church which was built in 1922.

He praised the people who raised the alarm quickly and thanked the workers for their bravery during efforts to bring the fire under control.

“My information was people who visited Connemara National Park raised the alarm. They were on the way to climb Diamond Hill and parked their cars to visit the church.

“I think it was a family who were visiting the area. It was an accidental fire. There is definitely significant damage. Wood was burned, and there was significant smoke damage, but it could have been worse.

“According to the CCTV footage, it happened around 1pm. Clifden Fire Brigade and workers from the National Park were very brave. The smoke inside was like a huge thick fog.

“It took them a while before they could enter. They had to break one of the doors, because the main door was closed. It was definitely very brave of them,” Fr Anathaiah said.

The fire was discovered quite quickly, he said, and so while the church was significantly damaged most of it centred on the candelabra area.

Ballinakill Parish Secretary in Letterfrack, Ann Cooke, thanked the local community and neighbouring parishes for good wishes and support.

“A very special note of thanks to the kind passer-by who raised the alarm, the National Park workers, and the emergency services, for their fast action and bravery, without all of whom the unfortunate event could have been much worse,” she said.

“Thank you all again for your support. Please God we will be able to come together in Letterfrack Church before long,” Ms Cooke added.

Fr Anathaiah, from India, will be two years in the rural Connemara parish of Ballinakill next month. He said that his parishioners have strong faith and are looking forward to the church reopening, but he could not confirm a date as yet.

Mass was said twice weekly, Sunday and Wednesday, at St Joseph’s up until the fire caused the damage at around 1pm on Friday July 22.

Fr Anathaiah said that services would now be said at Tullycross Church, about five kilometres away, for the foreseeable future.

“We are not quite sure at the moment (when it will reopen); we are waiting to see the extent of the damage. I can’t give an exact date, but we will definitely come back in the coming months,” Fr Anthaiah Pudota said.

Continue Reading


GSPCA closes city centre charity shop permanently



From the Galway City Tribune – It’s the end of an era for a popular animal charity shop that has shut up shop for good at its city centre base.

The Galway SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) has confirmed that it has not renewed its lease on its premises at St Augustine Street, where its charity shop has been based for a number of years.

The popular shop that sold books, clothes and bric-a-brac closed in June due to a leak in the building. It was due to reopen within days, but it has not and will not be, according to the charity.

The GSPCA said they are looking for a new premises in the city.

A spokesperson confirmed that the lease on the building was due to finish soon anyway, but after a major leak, the GSPCA and the landlord mutually agreed to bring forward the lease termination by a number of months.

“We hope to be up and running at another location in due course,” a spokesperson said.

A register charity and not-for-profit organisation, GSPCA still has a retail presence in Athenry and Ballinasloe, which generate money to run the organisation.

Its fundamental aim for over 20 years has been to care for animals in need through neglect, abandonment, abuse or those at risk due to a change in circumstances.

Its main sanctuary is based in the county, between Killimor and Portumna; and its cattery is in Athenry.

The charity assisted over 700 cats, dogs and smaller animals during 2020. According to accounts filed with the Charity Regulator, the vast majority of its income comes from donations, but its shops are important income sources and the charity made over €86,000 income from “trading and commercial activities” in 2020.

Continue Reading


Workers in Galway still waiting for ‘frontline’ payments



From the Galway City Tribune – A number of workers in healthcare settings in Galway have yet to receive promised pandemic bonus payments for toiling on the frontline during the Covid-19 crisis.

The Government had pledged each front-line worker would get a €1,000 payment as a thank you for contributing to the national effort during the pandemic.

But nine months on from when the Cabinet signed off on the payment, many local workers, including nurses and carers, particularly in private nursing homes, have received nothing.

Louis O’Hara, a general election candidate for Sinn Féin in Galway, labelled it as another broken promise by this Government.

“Workers here in Galway such as caterers, cleaners, security staff, agency staff and many more on the frontline in our local hospitals and healthcare settings have been contacting me to express their concern that they are still waiting for this payment,” he said.

“They are entitled to receive this payment, however the Government has failed to follow through on their promises and workers have been left in the lurch with no answers and no sense of urgency from the Government,” he said.

Mr O’Hara told the Galway City Tribune that the Minister for Health, Stephen Donnelly, needed to clarify that the funding was still there to pay the staff.

He said a breakdown of figures for the number of staff in Galway that were not yet been paid was not available, but Sinn Féin has been inundated with complaints from workers – particularly agency staff and those in private nursing homes.

“Frontline workers in Galway have been let down badly by this Government’s failure to follow through on their promises. This is absolutely unacceptable,” Mr O’Hara said.

The party’s Health spokesperson has written to An Taoiseach Micheál Martin, urging him to intervene directly to ensure this payment is paid promptly.

Minister Donnelly, in a recent reply to a Parliamentary Question in the Dáil, said priority was given to payment of eligible staff in hospital groups, such as Saolta, and community services within the HSE.

He said that the Department of Health was “examining progressing the rollout” to six groups of non-HSE and Non-Section 38 Agencies, who were included in the scheme.

These include eligible workers in private nursing homes and hospices; staff on-site in long-term residential care facilities for people with disabilities; agency staff working for the HSE; healthcare assistants such as home help, home care and home support staff contracted by the HSE; Defence Forces members redeployed to work “in front-line Covid-19 exposed environments in the HSE”; and paramedics employed by Dublin Fire Brigade.

This was a “complex task”, he said, because “these employees are not normally paid by the public health service, duplicate payments need to be avoided, and there are many organisations to be covered”.

This work was being given “priority attention” he said.

“Payment to eligible workers will be made as soon as possible,” Minister Donnelly added.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads