Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

St Thomas’ come out on top in thriller against the ‘Bridge

Published

on

Clarinbridge's Alan Armstrong tries to shake off the attentions of St Thomas' Damien McGlynn during Sunday's senior hurling quarter-final at Kenny Park. Photos: Joe O'Shaughnessy.

St Thomas’ 1-23

Clarinbridge 2-19

(after extra-time)

WHAT an epic senior championship game this was, but at the end of it all, the 2016 county champions are still standing having been pushed to their edge by a gallant and exciting Clarinbridge side.

As good a contest as has been seen in this year’s championship, if not the best, with St Thomas’ showing why they are regarded as the favourites for the 2018 county title, taking everything the ‘Bridge could throw at them, and still finding the wherewithal to come out the right side of the result.

Leading 1-15 to 1-10, Kevin Lally’s side looked in a dominant position entering the final quarter, but 1-3 without reply by Clarinbridge rocked them to the core.

Desperate times called for cool heads and after Evan Niland pointed a controversial 65’ to hand Clarinbridge the lead, Kenneth Burke came off the bench to fire over a last-gasp equaliser from out on the sideline to force extre-time.

Clarinbridge continued to go at St Thomas’ in extra-time and looked the likely winners in the first period, leading for the entirety after influential midfielder Sean Kilduff pointed less than 10 seconds after the throw-in to make it 2-14 to 1-16.

Cooney responded for his side but two quick scores by Niland (free) and Patrick Foley, who had a major impact when introduced, put Jarlath Niland’s team two in front.

Cooney replied again for St Thomas’ before Mark Kennedy and Darragh Burke swapped scores to leave the ‘Bridge one point in front at the change of ends. It was from there that St Thomas’ took over, however, despite conceding to Sean Kilduff right from the throw-in again.

Sean Skehill replaced the injured Fintan Burke at the end of normal time and he negated the influence of Cian Salmon who had been posing problems.

Up the other end, St Thomas’ re-introduced Brendan Farrell who created havoc at the edge of the square and nailed two vital scores along with two more for Darragh Burke (one free) as St Thomas’ secured their berth in the final four after an exceptional 80 plus minutes action.

It felt like an injustice in many ways to see anyone lose this one and for Clarinbridge it will be a bitter pill to swallow following their display, to a man and in particular Alan Armstrong, Shane Bannon, Sean Kilduff, TJ Brennan, Niland, Salmon and Kennedy.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and  county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

CITY TRIBUNE

Councillors back bid to ban city centre parking in Galway

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Councillors have unanimously agreed to ask Transport Minister Eamon Ryan to limit parking to residents only in the city centre.

Pedestrians in the city are being treated like second-class citizens, according to the Mayor, who said cars continued to get the priority on Galway’s streets.

At a meeting of the City Council this week, Mayor Colette Connolly (Ind) said the city had come to a standstill in car traffic, and pedestrians and cyclists were suffering the consequences.

“At junctions, why am I a second-class citizen in my own city as a pedestrian? It rains in Galway for 300 days of the year, but I am a second-class citizen when priority is given to motorists.

“It’s always the pedestrian that waits,” she said, hitting out at the length it took to get a green light to cross at pedestrian crossings.

One way to reduce the number of cars in the city centre would be to limit parking to residents only in the city centre, said the Mayor.

In a motion she proposed, seconded by Cllr Mike Cubbard (Ind), councillors unanimously agreed to write to the Minister for Transport to demand he pass the necessary legislation to enable the Council to do this.

The Mayor said residents were “sick, sore and tired” of people parking where they wanted when they visited the city and said despite a desire to introduce this measure going back almost 20 years, the Council was hamstrung by national legislation that prevented them from proceeding.

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Planners approve homes for ‘cuckoo fund’ investor

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – The green light has been given for the construction of 345 apartments at the Crown Square site in Mervue – the majority of which will be put on the rental market and operated by a ‘cuckoo fund’ for a minimum of fifteen years.

Crown Square Developments, which is owned by developer Padraic Rhatigan, has secured permission from An Bord Pleanála for the ‘Build to Rent’ development, with four blocks ranging ranging from four to nine storeys in height.

There will also be a neighbourhood facility with a gym, a primary care medical centre with pharmacy, a ‘working from home’ lounge, six shops, a games room and a creche.

There will be 240 two-bed apartments, 86 one-beds and 19 three-beds, all of which will be specifically for the rental market and not available to purchase.

A breakdown of the apartments shows there will be 240 two-beds; 86 one-beds and 19 three-beds.

To meet social housing requirements, the developer plans to transfer 35 of the apartments (20 two-bed, 10 one-bed and 5 three-bed) to Galway City Council.

A total of 138 car-parking spaces have been allocated on the lower basement levels of Crown Square for residents, along with shared access to another 109 spaces and another 13 for use by a ‘car club’. There will be 796 secure bicycle parking spaces to serve the apartments.

The Board has ordered that the apartments can only be used as long-term rentals, and none can be used for short-term lettings.

Under ‘Build to Rent’ guidelines, the development must be owned and operated by an institutional entity for a minimum period of 15 years and “where no individual residential units shall be sold separately for that period”. The 15-year period starts from the date of occupation of the first residential unit.

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

 

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Councillors divided over vote on Salthill Prom cycleway

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A proposal to install a temporary two-way cycle lane along Salthill Promenade hangs in the balance, with city councillors split ahead of a vote next week.

On Monday night, the 18 city councillors will discuss Mayor Colette Connolly’s motion that the lane be installed on the coastal side of the road from Blackrock to a point opposite Galway Business School.

A poll of the councillors carried out by the Galway City Tribune yesterday found nine in favour of the proposal, with one indicating they will abstain. A simple majority is required and if there is a 9-9 split, the Mayor holds a ‘casting’ vote, effectively a second vote.

There has been a flurry of lobbying by cycling campaigners urging councillors to vote in favour, as well as some complaints from residents worried it will again impinge on their parking as visitors to Salthill seek somewhere to park up while they swim or walk along the most utilised resource the city has.

During lockdown, Gardaí removed parking on the Prom to deter people from gathering in a public space. This resulted in motorists blocking driveways and entering private estates, leading one estate off Threadneedle Road to hire a private clamping company.

Mayor Colette Connolly (Ind) believes there are a maximum of 250 spaces that would be lost to the project on one side of the road as currently proposed, including seven disabled spaces, which could be reassigned close by.

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read extensive coverage of the issue and to see how each councillor intends to vote, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending