Galway Bay fm newsroom – The St. Nicholas Market in the city – which opened for the first time today since March – was forced to close due to lack of social distancing.
Galway City Council says it regrets the decision was taken following the advise of Gardai.
It says the market will open tomorrow for food traders but will only remain open subject to compliance with social distancing by members of the public.
The local authority is warning that if any issues arise tomorrow the market will be again closed immediately.
It adds the operation of the market – and how it might operate safely – will be reviewed in the coming days by Galway City Council in consultation with Gardai.
Another spike in new cases of COVID-19 in Galway
Galway Bay fm newsroom – There’s been another spike in new cases of COVID-19 in Galway
9 new cases of the virus are reported by the Health Surveillance Protection Unit this evening
There was a spike in cases last week, which the HSE attributed to clusters, but it was followed by a settlement
However, the increase of 9 is out of sync with the average increase of 3 or 4 cases daily
It’s not yet known what has caused this latest spike, and despite the unusual increase Galway remains at the lower end of cases nationally, with 473 cases to date
9 more deaths from COVID-19, and 46 new cases
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been informed that a total of 9 people with COVID-19 have died.
There have now been a total 1,639* COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.
As of midnight Wednesday 27th May the HPSC has been notified of 46 confirmed cases of COVID-19. There is now a total of 24,841 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland.
The HSE is working to identify any contacts the patients may have had to provide them with information and advice to prevent further spread.
Today’s data from the HPSC, as of midnight, Tuesday 26 May (24,795 cases), reveals:
· 57% are female and 43% are male
· the median age of confirmed cases is 48 years
· 3,267 cases (13%) have been hospitalised
· Of those hospitalised, 404 cases have been admitted to ICU
· 7,920 cases are associated with healthcare workers
· Dublin has the highest number of cases at 11,996 (48% of all cases) followed by Cork with 1,458 cases (6%) and then Kildare with 1,414 cases (6%)
· Of those for whom transmission status is known: community transmission accounts for 40%, close contact accounts for 58%, travel abroad accounts for 2%
The National Public Health Emergency Team met today (Thursday 28 May) to continue its review of Ireland’s ongoing response and preparedness to COVID-19.
Dr. Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said; “Throughout this pandemic NPHET has maintained a consistent focus on mortality, being very aware of the sad toll of lost loved ones on families.
“A mortality paper was prepared and discussed by NPHET today and identifies that mortality in Ireland has been within the lower range in overall terms compared with other health systems across Europe.
“Ireland will continue to report both confirmed and probable deaths from COVID-19 in all settings and direct public health measures to limit the burden of mortality.”
Dr. Ronan Glynn, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said; “Today, NPHET agreed in principle to include in the case definition the sudden loss of smell (anosmia) and loss of taste (ageusia). This is subject to updated guidance from the ECDC, which is expected to be published tomorrow.”
Professor Philip Nolan, Chair of the NPHET Irish Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group, said; “The reproduction number is currently estimated to be 0.5. ICU and hospital admissions and number of deaths per day continue to decline. The number of cases per day remain stable.
“Next week we will see figures that reflect the impact of Phase 1 measures on key disease spread indictors. It is our hope that the r-number will remain below one and our progress is preserved.”
City Council still in discussion with traders about this weekend’s St. Nicholas’ market
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Galway City Council is still in discussion with traders about how it can safely open the St. Nicholas’ Market again this weekend.
Discussions have been ongoing all week between the City Council and the trader’s committee after the city centre market was forced to close early last Saturday, on its first day of re-opening, due to concerns over social distancing.
In a statement issued toFYI Galway this evening a City Council Spokesperson said the Council is working with all of the various stakeholders to finalise plans to re-open the St. Nicholas’ Market this weekend and to keep it open.
Arrangements have been proposed including a one-way entrance and exit system for visitors and associated signage.
Final details on how the market will operate this Saturday and Sunday are expected tomorrow afternoon.