Two Spiddal athletes will be hoping to take Germany by storm this weekend while in Kalkar to take part in the Duathlon European Championships.
This afternoon (Saturday), Marie Boyle and Diarmuid Ó Conchubair will be pushing themselves to the limit in an event that involves a 10k run, a 40k cycle, followed by another 5k run.
Both athletes are coached by John Greaney at the Hurt Locker in Barna and have put in countless hours of training and preparation in the hope of achieving pole position at the amateur athletics competition.
Diarmuid was confident that weather conditions in Germany will suit the two Galway athletes. With rain forecast, he joked that all those hours spent training in the worst of weather at home would stand to them when they land on German soil.
“I was just looking at the forecast there and it’s rain so I think that will suit; when you’re doing hill repeats up Moycullen Hill in the sleet last weekend, you hope it will all be worth it,” he said.
Marie is no newcomer to this event having taken part in the competition, and taken a podium position in both 2014 and 2015 – achieving silver and bronze respectively.
“Last year we went to Madrid and I had qualified because I got silver the previous year in Austria,” said Marie. “That was really hard, the terrain was hard and the weather was absolutely awful – I ended up with hypothermia but I still came home with a bronze.”
Diarmuid, up until recently, was only taking part in long distance events like Ironman, half Ironman and marathons, but was encouraged by John to change tack and begin training for middle distance events.
“John encouraged me to go for the shorter events, even if that meant chasing me around the track,” said Diarmuid.
“With the shorter distances, you have to be more focussed on speed so John was great for that.”
The commitment to this is huge and takes a serious amount of training. This is made all the more impressive given that it is totally amateur and unpaid, despite being like a “part-time job”.
John, who is also an athlete, spends two days a week training Marie and Diarmuid on a one-to-one basis and a lot more time online.
“You have to take your hat off to them, their commitment and dedication is outstanding,” said John.
Diarmuid will race at 10am, with Marie setting off at 2pm. All events will be live streamed on triathlon.org
Street fight thugs from viral video outside Garda HQ avoid jail
From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Two men and a woman who were involved in a ‘staged’ fistfight outside the new Garda HQ in Renmore were warned they will serve prison sentences if they don’t stay off social media for two years.
Suspended sentences were imposed on all three over the incident which was recorded on mobile phone and footage went viral on social media.
The altercation between John Maughan (27), formerly of Rinville Park, Oranmore, who now lives in Dublin, and Patrick Maughan (31), of 122 Laurel Park, Newcastle, was filmed on Patrick Maughan’s phone by his wife, Ellen Maughan (31), who is John Maughan’s sister.
The footage was uploaded that evening to YouTube, where it gained a lot of traction.
Galway District Court heard this week the trio were sitting in their cars when Gardaí arrived at the scene within a matter of minutes.
They were subsequently charged with affray at Dublin Road, Murrough, Renmore, on November 2, 2018, in that all three used or threatened to use violence towards each other, thereby putting other people present in fear for their own safety and the safety of others.
Both men were also charged with breaching the peace.
Garda Pat Casey told the sentence hearing the incident occurred at 2.30pm on the main road between GMIT and the Garda HQ.
He said the men’s cars met, whether by accident or design, at that location where they got out and had a fist fight in the middle of the road.
Judge Mary Fahy asked if the location chosen for the fight, right outside the new Garda HQ, was deliberate.
Garda Casey said the men claimed they met by accident, “but that was where they met”, he added.
“The inference is they did it deliberately outside the Station to make it even better on social media. They are an absolute disgrace to do that in public and to do it in front of their children,” Judge Fahy said.
This is a shortened preview version of this court report. To read the article in full, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.
Cycle plans for Galway City get bumpy ride from councillors
From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A €24 million plan to transform the greater urban area into a cycle friendly zone got a bumpy ride when introduced to city councillors at a meeting this week.
Councillors were presented with four consultants’ report outlining a framework for the narrowing of many city roads to facilitate cycle lanes and better pedestrian access.
However, several councillors hit out at the way the cycling proposals which were presented to them just hours before their scheduled meeting.
Former Mayor of Galway, Cllr Frank Fahey (FG) said that it just wasn’t good enough to have to consider such detailed proposals on city transport issues after only being emailed the details that morning shortly after 11am.
Cllr Declan McDonnell (Ind), said that there was no joined-up thinking as regards the proposals and he asked if the residents of the east side of the city were consulted about what was being proposed.
“There is a real issue here with communication and consultation. We have businesses in Salthill that are down €25 million in terms of their business turnover and yet there was no consultation with them. It’s absolutely crazy going forward with no consultation,” said Cllr McDonnell.
Independent Knocknacarra councillor, Donal Lyons said that he had only received these detailed consultants’ reports just four hours before the meeting – he also wanted to know why Salthill was being treated differently to other areas.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read extensive coverage of the proposals, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.
Four-storey apartment block planned at Renmore cottage site
Planning permission has been sought to construct a four-storey apartment block and three two-storey homes on a 0.8-acre site off the Renmore Road.
K King Construction Ltd is proposing to demolish the existing cottage at 78 Renmore Road to create access to the site, which backs onto Nolan Park.
The plans include 19 residential units in all, consisting of three detached four-bed houses to the south of the site, adjacent to Dún na Mara; 10 two-bed apartments and six one-bed apartments, to be accessed by a new vehicular entrance road where the cottage currently stands.
According to the planning application, the development would provide “a positive net gain of new residential units on an under-utilised infill plot” on lands which are zoned ‘Residential’ in the City Development Plan.
Some 22 car parking spaces are to be provided on-site – two for each detached house and one space per apartment unit; in addition, 34 covered bicycle parking spaces are provided for.
Each apartment will have a balcony while a children’s playground is proposed for an area south of the apartment block.
The materials and finish of the buildings are to be similar to those used in the adjacent Dún na Mara development that was completed in recent years by the same developer.
The development would include provision for new pedestrian access for residents to Nolan Park/Renmore Playing Fields by utilising “previously inaccessible” recreation and amenity lands.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read it in full, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.