Galway bay fm newsroom:
Speculation is intensifying that next month’s Royal visit to Ireland will take in Galway
It was announced earlier this week that Prince William and Kate Middleton are to visit Ireland from March 3rd to 5th, but as with all royal visits the itinerary is kept under wraps for security reasons
Despite this, there was speculation that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge might take in Galway due to its European city of Culture designation
More weight is being given to this idea following the Garda notice issued to Galway city centre business owners this morning for a date which co-insides with the Royal Visit
It details a streets closure from 6am to 2pm on Thursday March 5th covering Williamsgate Street, William Street, Shop Street, High Street, Mainguard Street and possibly Abbeygate Street
Williamsgate Street newsagent Paul O Brien says if it is true, it’ll mean major security issues for city centre businesses.
Roscommon/Galway TD Denis Naughton misses out on bid for Ceann Comhairle post
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Seán Ó Fearghail has been re-elected as Ceann Comhairle of the Dáil.
The Fianna Fáil TD saw off Roscommon/Galway Independent TD Denis Naughten by 130 votes to 28.
Deputy Denis Naughton earlier addressed the Dail in his bid to become Ceann Comhairle stating Ireland needs an effective and questioning parliament.
In the next hour voting will begin to elect a Taoiseach, with no candidate likely to be successful.
Roscommon/Galway TD Denis Naughten addresses Dáil in bid to win Ceann Comhairle post
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Roscommon/Galway TD Denis Naughton has addressed the Dail in his bid to become Ceann Comhairle stating Ireland needs an effective and questioning parliament.
The Dáil is sitting for the first time since the election with the names of all the TDs now having been read into the record of the house before the Ceann Comhairle is elected.
It’s a straight contest between the outgoing Ceann Comhairle Sean O’ Fearghail and Independent former Minister Denis Naughten.
The secret ballot is now underway.
Addressing the Dáil prior to the vote, Deputy Naughton said it’s becoming increasing more difficult to get straight answers to straight questions in the Dail.
Eamon O’Cuiv suggests independent person may be needed to progress government formation talks
Galway Bay fm newsroom:
Galway West Fianna Fail TD Eamon O’Cuiv has suggested an independent person may have to become involved in government formation talks if there is no end to the political deadlock.
It comes as the Dáil sits for the first time since the election later with no-one likely to be elected Taoiseach.
First the names of all the TDs will be read into the record of the house before the Ceann Comhairle is elected.
It’s a straight contest between the outgoing Ceann Sean O Fearghail and independent former Minister Denis Naughten.
That’ll be done by secret ballot and once completed the nominations for Taoiseach will start.
Mary Lou McDonald, Micheál Martin, Leo Varadkar and Eamon Ryan will all be put forward as candidates but no one is likely to be elected.
For more on this story, tune into the Galway Bay fm news…