Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Social workers threaten strike over €7.5m in unpaid wages

Published

on

Around 400 social care workers in Galway and Roscommon who are owed €7.5 million from the Health Service Executive (HSE) in unpaid wages for over a decade have threatened all-out industrial action.

Trade unions IMPACT and SIPTU say they reached an agreement with the HSE to reimburse part of the monies owed to the workers but they claim this has been reneged on.

The HSE has acknowledged that it owes the money to the workers, and has been directed by Labour Court to pay its debts. But it is refusing to make the payments and clear its debts, claiming an inability to pay.

The matter came to a head in recent months when both parties were referred to the Labour Relations Commission (LRC) for talks.

Agreement was reached that the HSE would back-pay three years of the owed wages to the workers, and that it would be paid in the first quarter of 2016.

The HSE agreed to this at LRC but according to the unions they have since “reneged” on what was agreed.

“Our members are very, very angry. They are fed up of waiting for what is owed to them. Everyone, including the HSE, and the Minister for Health, acknowledges that the wages are owed. We reached a compromise agreement and this week we have been told that they are going back on that agreement because they cannot pay,” said Pádraig Mulligan assistant general secretary of IMPACT.

The social care workers and leaders have been working with Brothers of Charity Services and Ability West. They used to be known as ‘Old House Parents’.

At a Labour Court hearing earlier this year, the HSE accepted that about 400 workers in Galway and Roscommon are entitled to what’s known as Twilight Premium, which is time and one sixth extra for working between 8pm and midnight. The outstanding bill is about €7.5 million.

Mr Mulligan yesterday said that the workers will meeting next week to decide on the exact course of industrial action, which has already been overwhelmingly approved by members.

“We voted for industrial action but that was postponed pending the outcome of talks at the LRC. An agreement was reached at the LRC but the HSE has reneged on that agreement and we will not meet with members to discuss industrial action. That could include people not turning up for work – all out industrial action. We have always put the service users first and we have been very reasonable on our dealings with the HSE but they have reneged on an agreement and we will now examine our options regarding industrial action,” added Mr Mulligan.

Connacht Tribune

Man in his 70s killed in South Galway crash

Published

on

A man in his 70s has died following a crash in South Galway on Tuesday afternoon.

Gardaí are currently at the scene of the two-car crash, which occurred at around 3.35pm on the N18 at Kiltartan.

The driver and sole occupant of one of the vehicles, a man in his 70s, was pronounced dead at the scene. His body was taken to University Hospital Galway where a post-mortem examination will be conducted at a later date.

The driver and sole occupant of the other vehicle involved, a man in his 30s, was taken to University Hospital Galway for treatment of his injuries which are believed to be non-life threatening.

The road is currently closed and will be closed overnight awaiting an examination by Garda Forensic Collision Investigators have been requested.

Gardaí have appealed for any witnesses or road users with dash cam footage to contact them. 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Schools and colleges in Galway advised to close for Storm Barra

Published

on

Schools in Galway have begun informing parents that they will not open tomorrow, following advice from the Department of Education.

The Dept said this evening that schools, colleges and universities in areas where a Status Orange or Red warning apply for Storm Barra should not open.

A spokesperson said: “Met Éireann has advised that there is a strong possibility that the status of parts of these counties currently in Status Orange are likely to change and escalate to Status Red.

“Due to the significant nature of Storm Barra, as forecast by Met Éireann and to give sufficient notice to institutions of further and higher education, the department is advising that all universities, colleges and further education facilities covered by the Red Alert and Orange warning from Met Éireann should not open tomorrow, 7 December.

“All schools and third level institutions should keep up-to-date with the current weather warnings which are carried on all national and local news bulletins and in particular any change in the status warning for their area.”

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Emergency accommodation for rough sleepers in Galway during Storm Barra

Published

on

Arrangements have been made to provide emergency accommodation for rough sleepers ahead of Storm Barra hitting Galway in the morning.

Accommodation will be provided at locations including The Glenoaks in the Westside, the Fairgreen in the city centre and Osterley Lodge in Salthill (Contact 085 8009709 or 085 8009641).

The COPE Galway Day Centre will remain open all day Tuesday from 8.30am to closing.

Meanwhile, Galway City Council has warned that a number of roads may be closed in the morning ahead of high tide, including Salthill Prom.

Following ongoing meetings of the Inter-Agency Co-ordination group today and based on the latest information available, a number of precautionary measures have been put in place.

Road Closures:

  • Closure of Silverstrand Beach at 6pm Monday
  • Closure of Ballyloughane Beach at midnight (Local Traffic only)
  • Closure of Rosshill Road at 6am Tuesday
  • Closure of Salthill Promenade at midnight:
  • Blackrock Tower to Seapoint and onto Grattan Road. (Closure of Grattan Road may be required. Monitoring in place to decide.)
  • Potential closure of roads along the Claddagh, Docks and Spanish Arch from 5am Tuesday

A spokesperson said: “There may be further closures throughout the city as required and the situation will be closely monitored and regular updates given.  Motorists will experience delays as a result.”

The carparks at Toft Park and on the Promenade have been closed and all vehicle owners have been asked to move their vehicles from car parks and along the Prom.

Sand bags are now available at the following manned locations: the former Tourist Kiosk in Salthill (behind Seapoint); Claddagh Hall; Galway Fire Station; Spanish Arch; the Docks (beside the pedestrian crossing at St Nicholas Street).

“Anyone who avails of sandbags should retain them in their possession for use throughout the upcoming winter season. Please do not take any more sandbags than you need,” the Council spokesperson said.

“The main impacts will include strong winds, falling trees and potential flooding.  High tide in Galway Bay will be at 6.45am Tuesday.

“Some trees may be compromised due to saturated soils at the moment, and with more rain forecast with Storm Barra some disruption due to falling trees/branches is likely. Heavy rain, coupled with falling leaves may block drains and gullies, leading to surface flooding. Galway City Council staff have been carrying out drainage maintenance across the city in advance of the storm to minimise potential flooding risks.

“Storm Barra will produce significant swell, high waves and sizeable storm surges. This will lead to wave overtopping, some coastal flooding and damage, especially along western and southern coasts,” the Council said.

Business owners and homeowners are advised to check their own drains and secure any loose objects within their property in advance of the warning taking effect.

“Galway City Council advises remaining indoors during the period of the warning and, as always, to avoid coastal areas. Parks and other wooded areas should also be avoided, due to the danger of falling trees. If absolutely essential to travel, please exercise extreme caution out and about especially on coastal roads and exposed shores.

“City Council staff will be on standby for clean-up following the passing of Storm Barra and the associated warning once it has been deemed safe to do so.  Please note the associated clean-up which will commence on Wednesday morning may impact on traffic.”

Galway City Council Customer Services phone lines are available to deal with emergency calls on 091 536400. For the Galway County Council area, the phone number is 091 509069.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending