Date Published: 06-May-2011
Former Galway United star Paul McGee has been named as the new head coach at Salthill Devon, after his predecessor Emlyn Long was released by the League of Ireland club on Wednesday night.
Currently lying bottom of the Airtricity League First Division, Salthill Devon have had no win in their opening eight games, and with only two points from two draws prop up the bottom of the table. Against such a backdrop, Devon took the decision to replace their head coach.
“All good things come to an end,” said Long, who was to the fore in not only guiding Salthill Devon into the First Division, but he was also
hugely influential in steering the club’s U-21s to a national title, the Tony O’Neill Cup, in 2006.
“I am obviously disappointed because I feel I have a bit of unfinished business. I suppose, though, when someone leaves a job, they ask themselves is the place in a better position than when they went in, and I think that Salthill Devon is.”
Indeed, it will be widely recognised that Long has made a sterling contribution to the club, particularly in developing underage talent. “We also got promoted to the League of Ireland with a home grown squad, maintained our position in the league with that squad last season – staying up – and I felt with a number of players coming back from injury that a corner was being turned this season.
“So, from the point of view, I am disappointed. However, I have to move on from that and I would like to wish the club all the best in the game in the future,” says Long.
The man charged with taking over the mantle of first team coach is former Limerick 37 manager Paul McGee, who is no stranger to Galwegians, having both played and managed Galway United – he is Galway United’s all-time top goalscorer in League of Ireland football, with 74 goals, seven ahead of Alan Murphy.
Mike Quirke has been retained in the backroom set-up and McGee believes this is essential in maintaining a degree of stability in the present transition.
“To be honest, I will be relying on Mike Quirke for the first few weeks; relying on him to pick a team. I will be looking at the boys playing, though, but what I would say is that I don’t have a magic wand,” says the Sligo native, who was also part of the managerial set-up when Devon won the U-21 title five years ago.
“I played a big part in putting the coaching structures in place at Devon previously; I was the first head coach there. So, I know a lot of these players as kids; I know their little personalities and all that. I am delighted to be back; I wanted to get back. I am living in Galway and I am looking forward to working with top class youngsters once again.”
That said, McGee – who previously managed Limerick 37 to a fourth place position in the First Division and later was assistant manager to Alan Matthews at Cork City FC – is under no illusions as to the measure of the task ahead.
For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.
Judge adjourns Connemara assault case
Date Published: 08-May-2013
A date will be set next October for the trial of a 52-year old Connemara man, who is charged with assaulting traditional Irish musician Noel Hill five years ago.
Michael Folan from Teach Mór, Lettermullen, is charged with intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to Noel Hill at Tí Padraig Mairtín Beag in Leitir Mór, on St Stephen’s Day, 2008.
The matter had been listed for trial on several occasions before Galway Circuit Criminal Court in the intervening period.
It was referred to the High Court in Dublin last year for judicial review after Michael Folan said he wanted his trial heard ‘as Gaeilge’and that a bi-lingual jury be made available to hear the case.
At Galway Circuit Criminal Court, Judge Rory McCabe adjourned the case for mention to October when it’s expected a date will be set for trial.
Bank of Ireland Galway Shopping Centre branch to close
Date Published: 10-May-2013
Bank of Ireland’s branch at Galway Shopping Centre on the Headford Road is to close in July.
The branch is to merge into the BOI outlet at Galway Industrial Estate in Mervue.
Galway Bay fm news reports the 14 staff impacted are to be offered redeployment and there will be no job losses.
Galway RNLI rescues three people stranded on Hare Island
Date Published: 13-May-2013
Galway RNLI Lifeboat has come to the rescue of three students who got stranded on Hare Island after getting caught in the tide off Ballyloughan Beach.
The two girls and boy, in their late teens had gone for a walk and were spotted waving from the island by a local resident who contacted the emergency Services and Galway Lifeboat.
Conditions at the time (4pm) were very changeable with heavy showers.
Three members of the Lifeboat shore crew were working in the vicinity of the station at the time and launched the boat in six minutes.
The three students were picked up safely and brought back to the Lifeboat Station at Galway Docks where they were warmed up and given tea and did not require medical attention.