Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Farming

No sign of beef impasse ending

Francis Farragher

Published

on

Matt Lynch, Corrandulla and Pat Davoren, Headford, watch the judging of the cattle classes at the Corrandulla Show last Sunday.

AN ongoing slump in the UK beef market seems likely to see the continuation of the ongoing beef price crisis in Ireland, according to IFA leaders this week.

A surplus in Irish supplies that is likely to continue until late autumn and the fact that large numbers of cattle were ‘held back’ on flooded UK farms and fed indoors with cheap grain this Spring, is also contributing to the beef crisis.

This week Fianna Fáil Spokesperson on Agriculture, Éamon Ó Cuív called on the Government to establish a Beef Regulator to deal with the collapse in Irish beef prices.

He said that with the Irish beef industry worth €2 billion annually to the Irish economy and employing 100,000 farmers, urgent measures were now needed to save the industry.

“As this whole crisis has escalated and deepened, the Government has utterly failed to take any decisive or remedial action.  In fact, Minister Simon Coveney failed to show up for two separate debates on the beef crisis last week.

“Fianna Fáil is using its Private Members’ Business  this week to highlight the beef crisis and call for a beef regulator. A regulator should be entrusted with ensuring that a small handful of processors are not allowed to unfairly dominate the market.

“Any regulator needs to be given real powers and resources to oversee the sector and to make direct recommendations to Government. He could also examine the possibility of establishing a code of conduct for retailers, which would give farmers some certainty,” said Deputy Ó Cuív.

Connacht IFA Chairman, Tom Turley, said that Minister Coveney’s Food Harvest proposals were now an utter shambles with no farmer having any faith in his future plans.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune

Don’t ignore Covid signs

Francis Farragher

Published

on

Pat Murphy: If you feel unwell, take it handy.

FARMERS who feel a bit ‘under-the-weather’ health wise these times – whether it be Covid related or with colds or flus – have been advised ‘to take things a bit handier’ if they can at all.

Connacht IFA Chair, Pat Murphy – who last week revealed in the Farming Tribune that he was recovering from Covid – said that farmers ‘not feeling that well’ needed to take it easy for a few days and to contact their GP if they had any health concerns.

“I was probably one of the lucky ones, in terms of the symptoms that I had being not too severe, but everyone is not that lucky – and remember this is something that can happen to anyone.

“What I would advise is to get yourself checked out if you have any health concerns or don’t feel well – then ‘take it handy’ in terms of resting and cutting down on your workload.

“The other key thing – and especially so for farmers coming into the calving or lambing season – is to have a contingency plan in place just in case you do get sick.

“In all probability, this will involve talking to one or two of your neighbouring farmers, and working out an arrangement to help each other, in the event of one of the parties falling ill.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

New TAMS tranche must include farmers left out of previous applications

Francis Farragher

Published

on

TAMS: New tranche has been rolled out.

FARMERS seeking grant aid under TAMS (Targeted Agricultural Modernisation Scheme), who had been turned down in previous applications, must now be included in the new tranche (21), confirmed last week by the Minister for Agriculture, according to IFA Rural Development Chairman, Michael Biggins.

He said, that in the past, unsuccessful applicants had been carried forward to subsequent tranches, leaving them in ‘an uncertain situation concerning their investments’.

“All Tranche 20 applicants, including the applicants carried over from previous tranches, must receive approval without delay. IFA is urging the Minister to ensure that the delays in previous tranches are addressed.

“The problem of approvals will continue unless the carryover fixed. This issue must be rectified to avoid on-farm investment plans stalling,” said Michael Biggins.

Last week, Minister for Agriculture, Charlie McConalogue, confirmed that from Saturday last, January 16, Tranche 21 of TAMS had reopened.

“TAMS  has been hugely successful to date with over €265m in grant aid paid out and I would encourage all existing applicants with approvals to submit their payment claims as soon as they are complete,” said the MInister.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Family member can’t build house on home farm

Dara Bradley

Published

on

AN attempt by a farmer’s daughter to build a modest one-off house on rural land on the outskirts of the city has been knocked back.

An Bórd Pleanála (ABP) upheld a decision by Galway City Council to refuse planning permission to build a family home in Briarhill, on a site five kilometres east of the city.

The applicant Amy Molloy had been refused planning permission by the City Council for a four-bedroom, two-storey, one-off house at her father’s site at Coolagh, which has been in the family for seven generations.

In the appeal to ABP, the applicant argued that the City Development Plan “was never envisaged to preclude the seventh generation of a family from obtaining planning permission on their own lands”.

She said that this proposed development was “the only opportunity . . . to secure a mortgage”.

It complied with the Development Plan and the Local Area Plan, and was in keeping with existing dwellings in the area, she argued.

“The blanket exclusion from granting one-off housing would be contrary to proper planning and would be an infringement on the constitutional property rights for the landowner. This is an exceptional case and should be treated as such,” the appeal read.

The site is currently zoned ‘A’ Agricultural, which allows for residential development where a convincing need is established by immediate family members of the owners of the site, residing in the immediate area.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending