Sharpshooter Tierney on the mark as Ramblers advance in Cup

2013-04-09Soccer Round Up with Mike Rafferty

PLYING their trade in the lower leagues, Ramblers don’t get too many days in the limelight but a weekend cup semi final victory is a big cause for celebration as they came from behind to see off Maree Oranmore B by 2-1 in Leitrim on Saturday.

For some, the Fourth Division Cup might not be of any major significance but the final between Ramblers and Salthill Devon B provides an opportunity for an end of season trophy for the winners.

The home side did not make mattes easy for themselves as they trailed to a Dave Fitzgerald goal at the break, but from a Colm Flynn run and cross, Tom Tierney headed the equaliser on the resumption.
With time running out it was leading scorer Tierney who clinched their final spot, with a cracking shot from outside the area, for what proved to be the winner.

In the decider, they will meet Salthill Devon B who are a mixed crew of youthful warriors and ageing veterans who certainly know how to play. They defeated NUI Galway by 4-2 on penalties after their contest finished level at 2-2 following extra time.

A second minute goal set up by Eric Browne and finished by Stephen Cunningham gave Premier Division leaders Mervue United the perfect start away to East United and, by the finish, it was still enough to carry them to a 1-0 victory. Chances were aplenty in a good contest, but the win maintains the leader’s clear advantage at the summit.

With second placed Corrib Rangers not in action, there was an opportunity for Athenry to close the gap, but against a committed NUI Galway, matters finished scoreless. Conor Cannon and Paddy Quinn both struck the woodwork for the home side, while it took a smart stop by Andrew Walsh to deny Stephen Kirk in what was the students’ best chance.

A frantic five minute spell just before the break provided all the highlights as OLBC defeated St Bernard’s by 2-1 in Abbeyknockmoy. An Adrian Roche finish put the home side ahead before Ronan Caldwell set up Jimmy Jennings for the equaliser.

On the stroke of half time, Caldwell was upended in the box and Barry Molyneux slotted the spot kick past Denis Farragher for what turned out to be the matchwinner.

Colmanstown provided the result of the weekend in League action, when a good opening half saw them open up a two goal advantage, before holding on for a 2-1 away win over second placed Maree Oranmore.

Jason Finn opened their account with a long range effort, while Conor Jackson provided the assist as Tom Flannery executed the perfect finish for the second. In probably their best performance of the season, Colmanstown played well throughout, with just Mike Fahy notching a late consolation goal for the home side.

First Division leaders Tuam Celtic also fell to defeat when they went down 2-1 away to fellow promotion chasers Corrib Celtic. The hosts left it late as Mike O’Malley snatched the winner in additional time. Earlier Shane Concannon and Declan McHugh exchanged opening half goals.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.