Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

Sentence adjourned for Galway hurler who stole €60,000 from former employer

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – A Galway senior hurler who faced 23 charges of theft from a former employer, has had his sentencing adjourned.
26 year old Davy Glennon from Loughrea appeared before Galway Circuit Criminal Court today.
However, Judge Rory McCabe said in the absence of a probation report, sentencing should be adjourned.

Mr. Glennon is to be sentenced for 23 charges involving the theft of various amounts of cash, totalling over 60 thousand euro from J&C Kenny Wine Distributors between December 1st, 2012 and July 8th, 2015.
In May last year, he entered a guilty plea to a set of sample charges, and was remanded on bail.
The issue was first reported to Gardaí by the company in September 2015 after a colleague who Davy Glennon was covering for noticed that various sums of money were unaccounted for.
Davy Glennon subsequently admitted to the thefts, and soon after, he began a 12 week residential gambling addiction programme at Cluain Mhuire in Turloughmore.
In court this afternoon, a Victim Impact Statement was read out by Aoife Kenny on behalf of J&C Kenny Wine Distributors.
It stated that the thefts almost caused the company, which employs 32 people, to close down, and that his betrayal of trust had a serious impact on the Kenny family.
Davy Glennon apologised to the Kennys ahead of today’s proceedings.
Former Armagh GAA footballer Oisin McConville, a former gambling addict, spoke about Davy Glennon’s treatment and ongoing aftercare.
He told the court that Davy Glennon is working hard to break the stigma surrounding gambling addiction, and that this week, he addressed thousands of TY students at an event at the 3Arena in Dublin.
Judge Rory McCabe said that there are a number of mitigating factors in the case, which are likely to have an impact on the sentence imposed.
These include Davy Glennon’s remorse and the fact that his former employer has been repaid 65,000 euro, and that Mr Glennon has no relevant previous convictions.
He also pointed out that Glennon’s work in raising awareness of gambling addiction points to a personal committment to tackling his own issues.
However, Judge McCabe said he could not impose a sentence in the absence of a probation report – which outlines among other things a person’s risk of reoffending.
The sentencing has been adjourned until May 10th.

Breaking News

File for DPP after Garda drug seizure in east of city

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – A file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions following a drug seizure in the east of the city.

Gardaí attached to the Galway Divisional Drugs Unit searched a premises on the east side of the Galway city yesterday (May 25).

Quantities of suspected cannabis, cocaine and MDMA, with a combined value of 13,000 euro were seized in the course of the search, along with €2,330 in cash.

A man in his 20’s was arrested at the scene.

He was detained for questioning under the provisions of Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, at the North Western HQ, on the Dublin Road.

The man has since been released and a file will now be prepared for the DPP.

All of the drugs seized will now be sent for further analysis.

Gardaí say investigations are ongoing.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Emergency services attend multi-car crash on M6

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Emergency services are attending the scene of a multi-car collision on the M6.

The incident involving three cars took place on the M6 westbound, between the Rathmorrisey and Oranmore exits.

Long tailbacks are reported with traffic reduced to one lane.

Gardaí are at the scene and say nobody has been seriously injured in the collision.

Motorists are advised to expect some delays.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Homes in the West of Ireland at increased risk from radon

Published

on

https://galwaybayfm.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/radon.wav

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Large parts of the country – and in particular homes in the West – have been found to be at increased risk from radon.

New radon maps, launched by the Environmental Protection Agency, show an increased risk from radon in Ireland, with 170,000 homes now predicted to be at risk of radon exposure above the national reference level.

This is an increase of 45,000 homes, from the previous estimate in 2002.

The gas is naturally occurring, particularly in rock in western counties, and is linked to 350 new lung cancer cases in Ireland each year.

Senior scientist with the EPA, David Fenton, says it’s a significant public health risk and people need to act.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending