Galway Bay fm newsroom – A search is underway in Galway Bay for a missing fisherman.
The alarm was raised last evening (22/11) when a fishing boat departed from the Docks around 3p.m but did not return.
One man was on board at the time and it’s understood he was checking on lobster pots.
Aran Lifeboat was dispatched to the area and recovered the boat which had been anchored about a mile west of Blackrock, but no-one was on board.
The Coastguard helicopter from Sligo and Doolin and lifeboat crews from Galway and the Aran Islands are now searching the area where the boat was found.
Local TD uses Dáil to demand urgent action on beef regulator
Galway Bay fm newsroom – A local TD has told the Dáil there will be no next generation of young beef farmers unless the Government takes action.
Deputy Claire Kerrane was contributing to a debate on the need for the establishment of an independent beef regulator.
She said as someone who grew up on a beef farm, it’s very hard to watch farmers break their backs for very little in return.
Sinn Fein Deputy Kerrane said she was “at a loss” as to why the Government has failed to address the situation.
She pointed out that previous Agriculture Ministers have supported the creation of a beef regulator.
Deputy Kerrane warned if action isn’t taken, farmers will close their gates – and there will be no next generation – to hear more on this, tune in to FYI Galway@5
Dominick Street Upper to be included in outdoor dining plans
Galway Bay fm newsroom – It’s been announced that Dominick Street Upper will be included in outdoor dining plans.
It follows controversy over the exclusion of Dominick Street Upper and Lower from pedestrianisation plans, due to concerns over access for emergency services.
However progress has been made following ongoing discussions between Galway City Council, the HSE, Gardaí and Galway Fire and Rescue Service.
Outdoor dining plans have been in place since June 7th in key areas across the city – such as Woodquay, Raven’s Terrace, Salthill and William Street West.
The areas are closed off to traffic in the evening time to allow people to drink and eat outdoors in accordance with current public health guidelines.
However, Domnick Street Upper and Lower were controversially excluded from the scheme – this was due to objections from emergency services, who had concerns over access.
Galway City Council has now confirmed that outdoor dining measures will be introduced at Dominick Street Upper from this Friday.
The street will be closed to traffic every evening between 6PM and 11PM, between Dominick Street Lower and William Street West.
A range of safety tests have been carried out in advance of the measures being put in place to ensure that access remains available to emergency vehicles at all times.
The local authority adds the measure will be assessed throughout the summer and alterations will be made as appropriate to respond to concerns and issues that may arise.
City Council to set up naming committee
Galway City Council has agreed to rename a new pitch in westside after a local soccer voluteer, although in future such decisions will be made by a naming committee which is to be set up shortly
Mayor Mike Cubbard brought forward a motion at this week’s Local Authority meeting to name the pitch after long serving Corrib Rangers volunteer Pat Minogue.
Mayor Cubbard told this week’s Council meeting that the proposal had been brought to him by members of the Corrib Rangers club to recognise Pat Minogue for his tireless work in the community.
Before the motion was carried Fianna Fáil Councillor Mike Crowe told Mayor Cubbard that he would be supporting the proposal on its merits but added that he would be putting forward a separate motion calling for all future namings to managing by a designated committee.
Councillor Crowe said it was not personal but he believes a coherent policy needs to be put in place for naming local amenities and buildings in the future.
Councillor Crowe’s motion was supported by his fellow Councillors, including Mayor Cubbard, and the City Manager Brendan McGrath said the Corporate Policy Group would create a draft document for the new naming committee in the coming months.
The new pitch grass pitch which will now be named “Pat Minogue Park” is being created under the phase two development at Corrib Park and is due to be completed next year.
Mayor Cubbard says it’s a great honour for Pat and one that is well deserved – you can hear more from the Mayor on this on FYI Galway from 5