Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

SAVITA’S HUSBAND CONCLUDES EVIDENCE AT GALWAY INQUEST

Published

on

Praveen Halappanavar has now concluded his statement at the inquest into the death of his wife Savita at UHG last year.

The inquest resumed this afternoon before Galway West Coroner Dr.Ciaran MacLoughlin after a short break.

31 year old Savita died at UHG on October 28th last year after suffering a miscarriage and contracting septicaemia.

Mr. Halappanavar has argued that his wife was denied an abortion.

The inquest opened just after 10.30 this morning when Praveen arrived with his legal team – Solicitor Gerard O’ Donnell and Barrister Eugene Gleeson.

Declan Buckley is Senior Counsel for the HSE.

Statements have so far been heard from a GP, from a member of an garda siochana and from a worker from the hospital mortuary where the post mortem was carried out.

The inquest is being heard in the presence of a jury – this is an obligation in accordance with S40 of the Act.

Coroner Dr.Ciaran MacLoughlin opened proceedings by conveying his sincere sympathy and condolence to Praveen and said he would undertake to conduct the inquiry with solemn respect.

53 statements have been received from hospital personnel and eight statements from Gardai as well as various expert reports.

Praveen began his statement just after 11 this morning and took a brief break from the witness box at midday before returning to complete his statement by 12.35.

He detailed his memory of events from the time Savita found she was pregnant in July 2012 to the time of her death at the intensive care unit in UHG on 28th October.

During his statement, he said that Savita had asked for a termination and on one such request was told ‘unfortunately I cannot, this is a catholic country, we are bound by the law. We cannot terminate while the foetus is still alive.

The inquest is expected to continue for at least one week at courtroom 3 in Galway Courthouse.

Breaking News

Local TD says €2.5m funding “vital lifeline” to local radio

Published

on

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/web/24rjwy/ciaran_cannon6omf9.mp3

Galway Bay fm newsroom – A local TD says the announcement of 2.5 million euro in additional funding for the broadcasting sector is a “vital lifeline” for local radio.

The allocation has been made through the Sound and Vision Scheme, which provides grants for the creation of high-quality programmes.

Galway East Fine Gael TD Ciaran Cannon says local radio provides a very important public service and deserves greater support.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

TFI Local Link to launch new service between Ballinasloe and Castlerea

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – TFI Local Link Galway will launch a new service between Ballinasloe and Castlerea on Monday.

Route 546 will operate three times a day in each direction.

It’ll cover Castlerea, Williamstown, Glenamaddy, Kilkerrin, Moylough, Mountbellew, Caltra, Ahascragh and Ballinasloe.

The new service will also provide commuters with a new peak-time service that interchanges with direct services to Galway from Ballinasloe.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Galway company raises over €15m to develop revolutionary heart impant

Published

on

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/web/bi87dh/aurigen.mp3

Galway Bay fm newsroom – A Galway-based company has raised over 15 million euro in funding to develop a revolutionary heart impant.

AuriGen Medical has launched a crowdfunding campaign, with the funds going toward facilitating clinical trials.

The start-up company is based in ATU Galway and was founded by John Thomspson and Dr Tony O’Halloran.

Dr Thompson explains how funding and investment has progressed their development of the heart implant which aims to treat stroke and arrhythmia risk:

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending