Date Published: 09-Apr-2013
Dr Katherine Astbury has read her statement at the close of day two of the inquest into the death of Savita Halappanavar.
The consultant detailed her dealings with Ms. Halapannavar from a routine
anti-natal visit to her hospitalisation later in October last year.
The consultant took to the witness box just before 4 this afternoon and began by saying she met Savita for a routine anti-natal visit on October 11th.
She said she was a fit 31 year old in her first pregnancy with a history of back pain.
She noted she was not in the hospital on the date when Savita was admitted on 21st October after presenting for the second time that day – this timewith persistent back pain.
She confirmed her membrane had ruptured when a review was carried out on
She detailed subsequent reviews where scans confirmed the existence of a
On one occasion she said Savita was very upset and enquired about the possibility of medication to cause her to miscarry. She advised her that the legal position in Ireland did not allow her to terminate the pregnancy at that stage.
After her condition deteriorated, the consultant received a call and upon review said Savita was sweating and had difficulty breathing.
She then sought a second opinion from a colleague Dr. Geraldine Gaffney at the anti-natal clinic.
Ms. Astbury outlined to her colleague the clinical situation and said Ms Halapannavar needed a termination regardless of the foetal heart.
Her colleague Dr. Geraldine Gaffney agreed and offered to write a medical note to that effect.
She collected the scanner from the clinic and then found that the foetal demise had already occurred.
A spontaneous delivery followed.
She continued to detail the chronology of events from when Savita was taken to the high dependency unit to her eventual death on October 28th.
She said Savita suffered a cardiac arrest and attempts to resuscitate her were not successful.
She concluded by extending her sympathies and condolences to the next of kin.
Earlier Miriam Dunleavy, a staff midwife at UHG gave evidence.
Upon questioning, she said entries were put into Ms Halappanavar’s medical
notes by the hospital’s internal investigation team.
The coroner raised questions as to the appropriateness of this.
Senior Counsel for the HSE Declan Buckley said this is to be checked.
Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent
Date Published: 07-May-2013
A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.
That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.
The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.
Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.
Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.
Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis
Date Published: 09-May-2013
Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.
A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.
Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.
Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.
Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.
Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action
Date Published: 12-May-2013
The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.
There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.
Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.
Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.
Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.
The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.
However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.
Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.