Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Savita inquest takes short adjournment to review reports

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 17-Apr-2013

The sixth day of the inquest into the death of Savita Halappanavar has now adjourned for a short break after resuming at County Hall this morning.

The Coroner opened the inquest by advising of a number of new documents and reports.

One of these is an audit trail of blood tests as previously requested by the Coroner.

The inquest also heard that Dr. Peter Boylan, expert witness, has amended his report.

Midwife Manager Ann Maria Burke was first to be questioned in the witness box.

She had previously given her statement evidence last week, however she had been recalled as she and Dr Ikechukwu Uzockwu had given varying accounts of the time of a phone call and the content of that phone call on Tuesday October 23rd.

The Coroner questioned the midwife manager by asking if there was a little bit of confusion that the doctor says he was told all vital signs were normal during the call in question.

She answered: ‘I am 100% certain that I told what I said in the statement with regard to elevated pulse’.

Dr. Ike was next to give his witness evidence again and maintains that he was told during the call that all vital signs were in the normal range.

He also maintains the time of the call was between 9 and 11pm, while the nurse maintains it would have been before 8pm.

Following questioning by Barrister Eugene Gleeson, the inquest heard that only one vital sign was recorded between 9pm on Tuesday October 23rd and 6.30 the following morning.

The inquest has now adjourned for a short break so that legal teams can review new reports.

It will resume in the next few minutes when the inquest will hear from expert witness Dr. Peter Boylan, a former Master at the National Maternity Hospital.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Visiting restrictions lifted at UHG following vomiting bug outbreak

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 08-May-2013

Visiting restrictions have been lifted at University Hospital Galway following an outbreak of the winter vomiting virus.

The restrictions had been in place on impacted wards since April 22nd.

Ann Cosgrove, General Manager at Galway University Hospitals says visiting restrictions are now being lifted as the outbreak is considered to be over.

However she warns that there are signs that the Winter Vomiting Virus is still active in the community.

 

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Two men before courts over county grow houses

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 10-May-2013

Two Asian men have appeared in court for sentence in connection with the discovery of cannabis "grow houses" in Tuam and Loughrea last year.

They appeared before Galway Circuit court.

Vietnamese national, 48 year old Hai Fam pleaded guilty before Galway Circuit Court to the possession and cultivation of 189 cannabis plants worth €151,000 at a dormer bungalow at Raheen Oughter, Loughrea on August 28 last year.

In a separate case, Malaysian national, 34 year old Lim Chun Wan, pleaded guilty to the cultivation of 360 cannabis plants worth €288,000 at another rurally located house at Riverview, Corbally, Tuam on June 2 last year.

Judge Rory McCabe said an appropriate sentence in Hai Fam’s case was five years.

He put a stay on the order until next Wednesday to give the accused time to prove his travel arrangements.

He sentenced Lim Chun Wan to seven years in prison, given the greater value of plants found in his care.

He directed the remainder of the men’s sentences be suspended on their leaving this jurisdiction and warned them that if they ever returned to Ireland they would serve the balance of their sentence.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

City arthouse cinema granted 200 thousand euro

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 14-May-2013

Galway City Council has agreed to provide 200 thousand euro in funding to the Art House cinema project.

It’s being termed as a final allocation, to be donated over four years, and is subject to the project securing further finance from the Western Development Commission.

The decision was made at last evening’s city council meeting where representatives of Solas explained how they are attempting to bridge a shortfall in funding to bring the building to completion.

The City Council acquired the site for the Art House Cinema on Merchants Road at a cost of 1.8 million euro, and donated it by way of long term lease.

Construction has been plagued with difficulties, however it’s now hoped the building will be completed this Autumn, and could be open by early 2014.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending