Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Running up Cuckoo Hill in Costello’s ‘Field of Dreams’

Published

on

Members of the St Thomas' senior hurling panel taking a break from their exertions at Cuckoo Hill, a fitness bootcamp outside Ballinasloe.

PEOPLE said he was mad but Tommie Costello was a man with a vision and, more importantly, someone with the courage to follow it through. Now, seven years later, Cuckoo Hill Bootcamp, located just outside Ballinasloe, has become an epicentre for team building and bonding.

Cuckoo Hill is Costello’s ‘Field of Dreams’. A former publican, he left the trade to build the facility – consisting of hill runs, obstacle courses and bog endurance exercises – on his land in Taughmaconnell, the Roscommon side of Ballinasloe, in 2013 and he hasn’t looked back since.

Over the years, teams have been broken and remade into champions at Cuckoo Hill. For some, that has required team bonding; for others, it has been pushing players and athletes to their physical limits. Whatever is required, Costello, a qualified strength & conditioning coach and personal trainer, has been there to see it gets done.

“To be fair, I love what I am doing here,” he states. “I have never got any grants; anything I have ever put into it, it’s from money I earned. Look it, I was lucky it was our own land. People said I was mad but I was always into fitness myself and I just had a vision to do something.

“Everything back then (in 2013) had turned towards fitness and obesity and my own lads were into training. I said, sure, if I don’t give it a go, I’ll be sorry. Thankfully, it has got stronger and stronger as the years went on and every year it gets busier and busier.”

Recent months, of course, have been the exception. During the Covid-19 lockdown, the only sounds to be heard in Cuckoo Hill were those of the local wildlife and Costello’s strimmer. “It is a pity to lose so much this year but that is the way it goes. Once they stopped the kids going to school, that was the end of my business (in the spring). It shut it down completely.

“I lost all my school tours, lost all my active days in the schools, lost my camps and birthday parties and lost all those county and club teams (who were booked in). I’m not the only one that lost out though. Hopefully, we will get them back again.”

Indeed, since restrictions have eased, Costello’s loyal core group of athletes who turn up to his weekly classes, particularly on a Saturday morning, have begun to return. “So, we have been working in groups of four and I have been doing out work-outs for them, handing them out, and letting them off to different places (around Cuckoo Hill).

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

CITY TRIBUNE

Concerns over reopening of Middle Arch on Tuesday

Published

on

A Galway City Councillor has given a cautious welcome but has also raised concerns over the reopening of the ‘Middle Arch’ beside the Claddagh Basin next Tuesday.

Access was closed to the public last May following requests from the Gardai due to large crowds that had gathered in the days previously amid fears of it becoming a serious health and safety risk.

The concerns were raised by Cllr. Niall McNelis who said that a cautious welcome should be given but that the possibility of closing it in evenings needs to be seriously looked at.

He said “The decision to close it was earlier in year was due to it had become an area where large groups had gathered drinking and had led to calls by locals that it had become a serious health and safety risk. The area also does not have safety barriers and this has led to persons falling into the water in the past.

“Recently there has been a large number of calls made that the area should be reopened and that public space be made available to the public.”

Cllr. McNelis also said that a cautious welcome should be given but that the possibility of closing it in evenings needs to be seriously looked at.

“We can not have the same scenes repeated as we did earlier this year and in previous years. House gardens and Claddagh church grounds were used as toilets and large amounts of litter mainly drink, was left behind. I have met a number of residents this weekend who are not happy with decision and calls have been made by them to have it closed in evenings by City Council and Gardai should assist in clearing area if needs be.

“We do not have enough Garda personnel to have proper policing in our city, we need more resources for the city to tackle and enforce anti social behaviour.

“I have met this week with Gardai and have been given assurances that this will be closely monitored and occasions such as exam results nights, freshers week and good weather will be monitored,” he said.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Council rows back on ‘reduced delays’ projections for Kirwan junction

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Motorists have described it as ‘a disaster’ and a former mayor has said the project gave very poor value for money, but Galway City Council have this week asked the public to be patient with the revamped Kirwan junction, close to the Menlo Park Hotel.

Since the four-arm signalled junction opened early last week, motorists have complained of traffic queues stretching back to the Quincentenary Bridge and Corrib Park.

And now the Council has rowed back on its consultants’ claims that the junction would increase capacity by 15% and reduce waiting times by 25%.

Former mayor and local taxi driver, Cllr Frank Fahy, told the Galway City Tribune that given the negative impact of the junction on traffic, the €5 million spent on the project represented ‘very poor value’ as regards taxpayers’ money.

“I will admit that the junction is now safer for pedestrians in that they can hit a button to give them a safe crossing, but since it opened there have some very serious traffic tailbacks,” said Cllr Fahy.

However, City Council Acting Director of Services for Transport, Uinsinn Finn, told the Galway City Tribune that the new junction needed time to ‘bed in’ with a familiarisation process.

“The main objectives of this project were to make far safer for pedestrians and cyclists to negotiate, as well as making it safer for motorists too, without impacting [negatively] on the traffic flow,” said Mr Finn.

He added that since it opened – and over the coming few weeks – data on all aspects of how the junction was functioning would be compiled which could involve changes to light sequencing, lanes and peak traffic flows.

One motorist who contacted this newspaper said that the daily “nightmare” journey from the Barna Road to the Headford Road during the morning peak traffic time had added up to 40 minutes to his journey time.

“The two lanes are regularly gridlocked from the junction, back the N6, over the Quincentenary Bridge and back to Corrib Park.

“In the mornings, it’s now easier to go down Taylor’s Hill and into town, past Eyre Square and up Bohermore to get down to the Headford Road.

Councillors were told by consultants in 2017 and again in 2018 – when they voted to proceed with the changeover to a junction – that average delays would be reduced by 25% and junction capacity would increase by 15%.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Man hospitalised following Eyre Square assault

Published

on

Gardaí have appealed to the public for information into an assault in Eyre Square last weekend which led to a young man being hospitalised.

The victim of the assault – a man in his early 20s from the city area – suffered a cut to his knee and may have had a substance sprayed towards his eyes.

Following the incident – that occurred close to the Eyre Square taxi rank shortly after midnight on Saturday night last – the victim was taken by ambulance to University Hospital Galway.

It is understood that the victim was released later that morning and has made a full recovery. This week, Gardaí are poring over CCTV footage in an effort to try and identify the perpetrators of the assault.

The assailants are understood to have fled on foot after the incident towards St Patrick’s Avenue on the east side of Eyre Square.

A Garda spokesperson has appealed for anyone who was in the vicinity of the taxi rank on Eyre Square between 12 midnight and 12.30am on the Sunday morning (Saturday night) of July 25 last, and who may have witnessed the incident to contact them.

(Photo: the assailants fled on foot towards St Patrick’s Avenue off Eyre Square)
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending