Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Row over new Mayor is settled by FG HQ

Published

on

Date Published: 16-May-2011

BY ENDA CUNNINGHAM

The row over the Mayoral chain between two city Fine Gael councillors has been settled, following an intervention from party headquarters.

It has been agreed that Hildegarde Naughton will be the ‘Mayoral Pact’ nominee for the next Mayor of Galway, when a vote is held next month.

However, it’s understood that the pact (between the three Fine Gael and three Fianna Fáil and the three former PD councillors) could be facing collapse unless Cllr Naughton apologises for an accusation she made last January that her colleagues were “doing the bidding” of “elite vested interests” when it came to land rezoning decisions.

But she said yesterday there would be no apologies for her comments.

“I make no apologies. I made my stance very clear on planning issues and what my reasons were. I believe it was the right thing to do and continue to believe that,” she told the Sentinel yesterday (Monday).

Last week, Fine Gael’s General Secretary asked Deputy Brian Walsh to intervene in the row, because it was seen by angry Fine Gaelers as “an embarrassment to the party”.

Under the terms of a Mayoral Pact agreed in 2009, Cllr Naughton was due to serve as Mayor for 2011-12. However, following the election of Brian Walsh to the Dáil and subsequent co-option of Frank Fahy to the City Council, Cllr Padraig Conneely entered a separate deal which would see him elected Mayor – for the second time in four years.

However, the matter was resolved on Sunday at a meeting with Brian Walsh and FG Constituency Chairperson Enda Howley – Cllr Naughton will be the party nominee for Mayor next month. They have also agreed to support Cllr Terry O’Flaherty for Mayor in 2012-13 with Frank Fahy as Deputy Mayor, while Cllr Conneely will be the nomination for Mayor in 2013-14.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Retail industry trade body welcomes B&Q announcement

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

Retail Excellence Ireland, the country’s largest retail industry trade body, has welcomed the news that 60 jobs have been saved at the city branch of B&Q.

It’s after the home improvements store successfully exited examinership.

Under the scheme, 2.4 million euro is to be invested by parent company Kingfisher plc, and B and Q will continue to trade at eight stores

This means 640 jobs have been saved nationwide, including 60 at the outlet in Knocknacarra.

However, David Fitzsimons of Retail Excellence Ireland says landlords need to be willing to help out smaller retailers too.

 

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Foundation reports nine Galway heart deaths each week

Published

on

Date Published: 09-May-2013

Nine people die in Galway every week from heart disease and stroke.

That’s according to the Irish Heart Foundation, which is launching its Happy Hearts Appeal today. (9/5)

An Taoiseach, Enda Kenny, launched the appeal today to help raise funds for the charity, which has seen increasing demand on its patient services.

The Foundation says it needs to raise at least half a million euro to maintain existing information services.

 

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Call to tackle delays at Oranmore rail crossing

Published

on

Date Published: 13-May-2013

Concerns have been raised over traffic delays at the railway crossing in Oranmore.

Councillor Jim Cuddy says he has received many representations from local motorists who have been experiencing extended delays.

He says the closed barrier can sometimes cause a traffic tailback as far as the roundabout near the Maldron hotel.

Cllr Cuddy has brought the matter to the attention of Iarnrod Eireann and has asked for an explanation as to why the crossing is closed for so long.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending