Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Rich family history inspires Ann’s new drama

Judy Murphy

Published

on

Ann Henning Jocelyn and her black German Shepherd Pushkin relaxing at the the Lookout Point overlooking her home. PHOTOS: JOE O'SHAUGHNESSY.

Lifestyle – Ann Henning Jocelyn’s husband and son are descended from Mary Boleyn, sister of the more famous Anne, and she has long been intrigued by their lives. Private family papers were the starting point for her latest play which offers new insights into the Boleyn story, as the writer tells JUDY MURPHY.

On the wettest of wet days in Connemara the sight of a giant long-haired black dog, the size of a small calf, bounding happily from the back door of a period house is a cheery one.  He’s Pushkin, the canine in residence at Doonreagan House in Cashel, home to author and translator Ann Henning Jocelyn and her husband Robert.

Ann’s latest play, The Sphere of Light; Secrets of the Boleyn Women, which is being presented at this year’s Clifden Arts Festival on Friday, September 27, is the reason why the Tribune is visiting Doonreagan.

But nothing can be done before making friends with Pushkin, a gentle black German Shepherd who wants to play ball and be petted.

“He can read,” says Ann proudly. “No, really,” she stresses, realising that she’s meeting a degree of scepticism.

And Pushkin can read, as he later demonstrates. First, though, he and Ann lead the way to outhouses that have been converted into holiday apartments at the rear of the main house. Ann uses one as her writing studio, an area free from distractions.

A bookcase beside her writing desk bears witness to her latest project on the Boleyn family who played a key role in English and Irish history in the 1500s.

Ann’s husband, Robert, the 10th Earl of Roden, and their son Shane, are direct descendants of Mary Boleyn. Mary was sister of the more famous Anne, who became King Henry VIII’s second wife in 1533, before he had her beheaded three years later in the Tower of London

Henry VIII had divorced his first wife, Catherine of Aragon, to marry Anne, following seven years of chaste courtship. He had decided Anne would become his wife and would supply his much-needed male heir. Such was his determination that he split from the Church of Rome and established himself as head of the newly formed Church of England.

Some years previously, Henry had had had an affair with Anne’s sister, Mary, and rumours abounded that her child, Henry Carey, was a result of that liaison.

Henry Carey – later Lord Hundson – who was Queen Elizabeth’s first cousin and possibly her half-brother, rose to prominence after she became queen in 1558 when she appointed him as Lord Chamberlain

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app

The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City  and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Connacht Tribune

SMEs set their sights on Euro expansion

Avatar

Published

on

Kevin Moran of IMS Marketing accepting the ‘Excellence in Practice Silver Award’ from the European Foundation for Management Development, with Enterprise Ireland CEO Julie Sinnamon and Nan Gou, Programme Director, ESMT Berlin.

Irish entrepreneurs have the skills, products and services to break down barriers across Europe, according to one Galway-based marketing agency that is helping SMEs enter new markets.

Kevin Moran, Managing Director of IMS Marketing in Galway, said that this creativity and enthusiasm allows Irish entrepreneurs to punch above their weight in new markets.

He was speaking after his IMS Marketing was honoured for its ‘Enter-the-Eurozone’ Programme which has helped 19 SMEs break into Europe.

And he urged all SMEs to continue to set their ambitions on export markets as we emerge from the Covid-19 restrictions and revisit the challenges of Brexit.

Mr Moran said that IMS Marketing, along with its partners, Enterprise Ireland and ESMT Berlin, was delighted to receive the Excellence in Practice Silver Award’ from the European Foundation for Management Development.

“The vision for the ‘Enter the Eurozone’ Programme was to enable progressive Irish SMEs  to enter a new Eurozone market in a strategically led way,” he said.

“Export markets will be more important than ever for Irish companies and jobs as they now face the twin threat of Brexit and a post Covid19 economic recession.”

Accepting the Award’ from the EFMD, Mr Moran said that his company witnessed the strength of the Irish SME sector during the delivery of the award-winning ‘Enter the Eurozone’ programme.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app

The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Businesses miss out on restart grant

Stephen Corrigan

Published

on

Mr. Kenneth Deery. Photo: Andrew Downes, Xposure
CEO of Galway Chamber Kenny Deery

Just one-third of Galway business eligible for the Government’s Restart Grant have actually applied for the scheme which aims to bolster small enterprise as Covid-19 restrictions ease.

It was revealed this week that businesses in Galway City and County have received almost €4.5 million in grant aid under the scheme which offers grants of between €2,000 and €10,000 to commercial rates-liable enterprises.

To qualify for the €250 million scheme, businesses must have an annual turnover of less than €5 million; have 50 or fewer employee; and have a projected loss of revenue of 25% or more.

CEO of Galway Chamber Kenny Deery said there were many Galway businesses that had yet to apply for the grants, despite the fact that they were entitled to do so.

Only around 1,100 of the about 3,000 businesses in the city and county that may be due a pay-out have applied, and confusion over eligibility was contributing to that issue, he explained.

“Some businesses are of the view that they’re not eligible, but they need to realise that even if they only paid €500 or €1,000 in rates in 2019, they could still be eligible for €2,000,” he said.

Those who were in rates arrears were also entitled to the grant, said Mr Deery, adding that as long as a business had a rates liability in 2019, they could apply for the grant.

“The payment have just started being paid out to those who applied about two months ago, so it has been slow in terms of progressing those applications.

“What I would be saying to small businesses is that they would need to sell a lot of cups of coffee or a lot of sandwiches to make €2,000 or €5,000 in profit,” said Mr Deery.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app

The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Galway embraces Mass changes

Stephen Corrigan

Published

on

Parish Priest Fr Hugh Clifford wearing a mask during the distribution of Holy Communion at Mass in St Joseph’s Church, Kinvara, on Saturday evening. Photo: Joe O'Shaughnessy

Parishioners in Kinvara made a long-awaited return to weekend services on Saturday at St Joseph’s Church, and while it was far from business as usual, mass-goers expressed delight at their return to the church.

Parish Priest Fr Hugh Clifford said while there were necessary changes to what people would be accustomed to, the congregation was understanding of why that was necessary and thankful that the implementation of these measures meant they could return to services after a four-month absence.

As part of Phase 3 of the easing of restrictions, services of up to 50 people were allowed, and to respect physical distancing, that meant two seats in every three were blocked off, said Fr Hugh.

“Households can sit together, but at the moment, we have the limit of 50 people, but we hope that will change in the next phase. We have to advise people who are more vulnerable that they should consider staying at home for the time being,” he explained.

The obligation to attend Mass has been lifted since the outbreak of the Covid-19 crisis, continued Fr Hugh, meaning that people need not worry if they are unable to attend.

For the Eucharist, the Priest and Eucharistic Ministers wear face coverings and use hand sanitiser to ensure there is no cross-contamination, with Communion administered to people in their seats, said Fr Hugh.

See full coverage in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now. You can also add the paper to your online grocery delivery; you can purchase a digital edition here, or you can have it delivered at no extra charge by An Post; full details are on this website.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending